Thai teens arrested for battery after slapping elderly foreigner on the head with shoe

webfact

Shoe slapper arrested

PNSOC561021001000502.jpg

BANGKOK, 21 October 2013 (NNT) -Two juvenile delinquents have been arrested after posting a clip on Youtube that showed one slapping a foreigner on the head with a slipper. The clip quickly went viral and caused much resentment from local Thais, claiming that the action had tarnished Chiang Mais tourism image.

Police in Chiang Mai have arrested the 2 culprits under the charge of battery - both are 16 years of age and are Chiang Mai natives. The victim was Mark Monti, 58, who was hit on the head with a sandal in front of a gift shop while strolling along the sidewalk. Initially, he did not report the incident. It was not until after his friend told him about the clip on Youtube that he decided to report the case to the police.

The 2 teens confessed that they had just finished their classes at a technical school that day and were looking to play pranks on some people. Mr. Monti happened to be the unlucky victim.

The police called the teens parents to the station, where Mr. Monti accepted the two youngsters' apologies. The two teenagers were then fined 500 baht each.

PNSOC561021001000503.jpg

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-10-21 footer_n.gif

UPDATE

Teens Arrested For Beating Italian With A Shoe

By Khaosod Online

teen.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chiang Mai police have arrested a pair of teenagers who randomly hit an Italian passer-by with a shoe, and uploaded a video clip of the incident on the internet afterwards.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/676091-thai-teens-arrested-for-battery-after-slapping-elderly-foreigner-on-the-head-with-shoe/page-3#entry6946993

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this modern technology, everyone with cameras and social sites connected 24/7.... it really is all nasty stuff portraying Thailand as something other than the beautiful, Zen Buddhist nation that Thailand is.

Nasty sites such youtube, facebook, etc. such be banned (again, remember that youtube was banned up until 2-3 years ago) for tarnishing Thailand's reputation.

Edited by yingyo
  • Like 2

Stupid and brainless teenagers. I feel sorry for the humiliation that foreigner had to take. Absolutely despicable.

The clip quickly went viral and caused much resentment from local Thais, claiming that the action had tarnished Chiang Mai’s tourism image.

Chiang Mai's tourist image is worth only 500 baht per brainless kid. Can't they think a better way to reeducate these people with no clue of what moral is?

can thank themselves for tarnishing. Keep a good reputation by maintaining it and earning it, eh?

......Is that guy 58 or 78?

• Like 1

All this modern technology, everyone with cameras and social sites connected 24/7.... it really is all nasty stuff portraying Thailand as something other than the beautiful, Zen Buddhist nation that Thailand is.

Nasty sites such youtube, facebook, etc. such be banned (again, remember that youtube was banned up until 2-3 years ago) for tarnishing Thailand's reputation.

The only thing tarnishing Thailands image is people like the 2 clowns in the clip and the clown that filmed it.

• Like 1

Anyone care to speculate what would have happened if the victim had reacted and hit the little shit ?

That's exactly what I was thinking....then it could have turned out 2-3-4-on one.....if not caught by surprise I believe I would have knocked the hand away.....but it might have provoked something else.....

Maybe the way it played out was best.....

come on these are just kids out for a bit of fun-hardly a damaging thing to do-I agree its not nice, and it is very disrespectful but its hardly a hanging offence. What I really resent about this story is that 58 is considered elderly! phhhht!

National sport in Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3ZBeR21LkO0

Stupid and brainless teenagers. I feel sorry for the humiliation that foreigner had to take. Absolutely despicable.

The clip quickly went viral and caused much resentment from local Thais, claiming that the action had tarnished Chiang Mai’s tourism image.

Chiang Mai's tourist image is worth only 500 baht per brainless kid. Can't they think a better way to reeducate these people with no clue of what moral is?

can thank themselves for tarnishing. Keep a good reputation by maintaining it and earning it, eh?

......Is that guy 58 or 78?

He's probably 68 looking for some 69... whistling.gif

lots of goodies up & down loi khro road if you're lookin' for that, without dirty shoe slaps!

this is just more discrimination against foreigners in Thailand. we pay double to tour museum's go to parks, get medical in a hospital, we are not allowed to own a small piece of land to build a house, I spend more then 70,000 bhat every month and I am not allowed to go inside 50% of places in sattahip. And it is embarrassing when all my friends and family tour a old aircraft carrier that England or Australia donated to Thailand but I cannot go with them and have to wait outside.

we foreigners need to hire lawyers to fight this discrimination. Thailand wants our money but they do not want us

Well, it is clear that you are not allowed to go into military areas.

You could be a spy. If you report the readiness and condition, Cambodia (or San Marino, or the Vatican) may invade tomorrow.

• Like 1