Brit embassy confirms some consul services dropped for Brits in Phuket

webfact

Brit embassy confirms some consul services dropped for Brits in Phuket

PHUKET: -- British Honorary Consuls in Phuket and Koh Samui will no longer offer notarial and documentary services starting from November 1, 2013, the British Embassy has confirmed.

After this date, these services will only be available from the British Embassy in Bangkok and the British Consulate General in Chiang Mai.

An Embassy spokesperson told The Phuket News that under a consular strategy launched in April this year, “documentary and notarial services worldwide are being rationalised to provide a more modern and streamlined service”.

“In many countries we will centralise notarial and documentary services in a single post per country. We are also working to introduce on line credit card payments and bookable appointments.

“As the strategy makes clear, consular excellence is about high-quality, modern, cost-effective and efficient support to British nationals overseas. The changes will help make better use of our scarce resources and modernise the way we deliver these services,” the Embassy spokesperson said in a statement.

“This will allow us to concentrate on front-line consular work, providing more support to our most vulnerable customers including, for example, minors, the elderly, people with mental health problems, and victims of serious crime abroad.”

When asked if the embassy would consider setting up “clinics” in places like Phuket to provide notarial services to avoid British citizens having to travel to Bangkok, the spokesperson said at the moment the Embassy did not think it would be necessary “but we will keep this under review”.

The spokesperson said that currently, 70 per cent of all requests for notarial and documentary services provided by Honorary Consuls in Phuket and Koh Samui are for pension letters required by the Thai authorities, which did not require attendance by the person and the application could be submitted by post.

Notarial and documentary services include:

legalisation of signature and seal

letter confirming pension / income for Thai Immigration

witness of declaration of existence

affidavits / affirmations / declarations / marking of exhibits

witness of signature

certify photocopies of original UK document

affirmation of freedom to marry in Thailand

consular birth registration

consular death registration

For more details visit the Embassy website here.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-embassy-confirms-some-consul-services-dropped-for-brits-in-phuket-42446.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-21

"As the strategy makes clear, consular excellence is about high-quality, modern, cost-effective and efficient support to British nationals overseas."

But only if you live in the BKK area sad.png For sure not cost effective if you live in Phuket. And no consideration for local 'clinics'.

• Like 1

UK embassy shakeup to free Phuket consul for frontline work
Phuket Gazette

hon.jpg
Phuket Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter will now be able to focus on assisting more vulnerable British citizens. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Sweeping changes in how standard documents are issued at the British Embassy in Bangkok will free Phuket Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter to focus on providing assistance to British tourists and expats in need.

The changes are part of a reform in procedures at British embassies around the world, explained an embassy statement issued to the Phuket Gazette.

Consequently, from November 1, notarial and documentary services will no longer be provided by Honorary Consul Carpenter, or by the British honorary consul for Koh Samui.

However, such documentary services will continue to be provided by the British Embassy in Bangkok and the British Consulate General in Chiang Mai, and the most well-used service can be completed through the post.

“As part of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s [FCO] consular strategy 2013-2016, which was launched in April 2013, documentary and notarial services worldwide are being rationalized to provide a more modern and streamlined service,” the embassy explained.

Although Phuket is losing its direct embassy notarial services, Thailand is fortunate to have two posts, said an embassy official.

“In many countries we will centralize notarial and documentary services in a single post,” the FCO representative said.

“We are also working to introduce online credit card payments and bookable appointments,” the official added.

It is hoped that the change will lighten the workload for Mr Carpenter and other Honorary Consuls around the world so that they can provide better assistance to people in need.

“The role of an Honorary Consul is voluntary and not a full-time occupation. They help us to give the best possible assistance to British citizens in areas where we have no formal consular representation.

“We are extremely lucky to have hard working and dedicated individuals undertaking this role for us within Thailand and throughout the world,” the embassy official said.

“By centralizing the notarial and documentary services carried out by those Honorary Consuls we are ensuring that their time is used to concentrate on assisting our most vulnerable customers including, for example, minors, the elderly, people with mental health problems and victims of serious crime abroad.”

The concept of carrying out visiting “outreach clinics” similar to those conducted by US embassy consular staff (story here) remains under consideration, but such clinics are not likely in the near future.

Requesting some documents by mail remains an option.

“Approximately 70 per cent of all requests for notarial and documentary services provided by our Honorary Consuls in Phuket and Koh Samui are for pension letters required by the Thai authorities,” explained the embassy official.

“We do not require individuals to attend in person for this service; their application may be submitted by post,” the staffer added.

Details of filing applications for notarial service by post can be found on the British FCO website (here).

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/UK-embassy-shakeup-to-free-Phuket-consul-for-frontline-work-22565.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-21

documentary and notarial services worldwide are being rationalised to provide a more modern and streamlined service.

That's hilarious. I hope no one from Britain criticizes Thai politicians/government spokes-people for spouting nonsense after reading this.

article-0-007B4E7F00000258-812_306x498.j

I will criticise this for what it is : a thinly disguised cost cutting measure , accompanied by a bull-shit justification .

I eagerly await for you to do the same regarding those instances you refer to ,regarding Thai politicians/government spokes-people .

• Like 1

"As the strategy makes clear, consular excellence is about high-quality, modern, cost-effective and efficient support to British nationals overseas."

But only if you live in the BKK area sad.png For sure not cost effective if you live in Phuket. And no consideration for local 'clinics'.

And clearly the service to their nationals 'their customers' is some thing they don't give a shyt about'

These consular jobs seem to be just one for 'the boys' with scones and whipped cream on the lawn.

Take Larry at Phuket he was doing a top rate job but when the shyt hit the fan where were the dropkicks from the Big Mango? coffee1.gif

Edited by johnlandy

This the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard.

At least the US citizens still get regular consular vists here in Phuket. I can't remember the last UK consular visit here in Phuket and the last one I attended at the Hilton Arcadia had a very junior BKK officer who knew nothing. Did not even have the forms I requested, promised to post them to me, I received nothing.

• Like 1

No change then really - just another nail in the coffin for any Brits who need assistance in a foreign country. And the service you get from the consulate/embassy in Bangkok? Waste of f'ing space!

As another poster said - makes you ashamed to be Brit. Makes me wish I had changed my nationality to South African when I was there - at least you would know from the outset that you can get f-all service from their embassies!

This the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard.

At least the US citizens still get regular consular vists here in Phuket. I can't remember the last UK consular visit here in Phuket and the last one I attended at the Hilton Arcadia had a very junior BKK officer who knew nothing. Did not even have the forms I requested, promised to post them to me, I received nothing.

I agree LIK. Why can't they do like the US and have regular "visits."

Is it not better to send one person to provide service to many - rather than have many people travel to be served by one person?

UK embassy shakeup to free Phuket consul for frontline work

Phuket Gazette

hon.jpg

Phuket Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter will now be able to focus on assisting more vulnerable British citizens. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- Sweeping changes in how standard documents are issued at the British Embassy in Bangkok will free Phuket Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter to focus on providing assistance to British tourists and expats in need.

The changes are part of a reform in procedures at British embassies around the world, explained an embassy statement issued to the Phuket Gazette.

Consequently, from November 1, notarial and documentary services will no longer be provided by Honorary Consul Carpenter, or by the British honorary consul for Koh Samui.

However, such documentary services will continue to be provided by the British Embassy in Bangkok and the British Consulate General in Chiang Mai, and the most well-used service can be completed through the post.

“As part of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s [FCO] consular strategy 2013-2016, which was launched in April 2013, documentary and notarial services worldwide are being rationalized to provide a more modern and streamlined service,” the embassy explained.

Although Phuket is losing its direct embassy notarial services, Thailand is fortunate to have two posts, said an embassy official.

“In many countries we will centralize notarial and documentary services in a single post,” the FCO representative said.

“We are also working to introduce online credit card payments and bookable appointments,” the official added.

It is hoped that the change will lighten the workload for Mr Carpenter and other Honorary Consuls around the world so that they can provide better assistance to people in need.

“The role of an Honorary Consul is voluntary and not a full-time occupation. They help us to give the best possible assistance to British citizens in areas where we have no formal consular representation.

“We are extremely lucky to have hard working and dedicated individuals undertaking this role for us within Thailand and throughout the world,” the embassy official said.

“By centralizing the notarial and documentary services carried out by those Honorary Consuls we are ensuring that their time is used to concentrate on assisting our most vulnerable customers including, for example, minors, the elderly, people with mental health problems and victims of serious crime abroad.”

The concept of carrying out visiting “outreach clinics” similar to those conducted by US embassy consular staff (story here) remains under consideration, but such clinics are not likely in the near future.

“Approximately 70 per cent of all requests for notarial and documentary services provided by our Honorary Consuls in Phuket and Koh Samui are for pension letters required by the Thai authorities,” explained the embassy official.

“We do not require individuals to attend in person for this service; their application may be submitted by post,” the staffer added.

Details of filing applications for notarial service by post can be found on the British FCO website (here).

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/UK-embassy-shakeup-to-free-Phuket-consul-for-frontline-work-22565.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-21

I was unaware they did anything to help those in need in the first place. Here in Chiang Mai I have seen them turn down help to two different people with no means to get home(yes because of there own actions).

How ever there indifference to the Brit citizens is well known here and there was a christian organazation there to help people who came in and they were able to get one person home. Not sure of how the other got home. Might have had relatives in GB.

That out to go over big for a notarized document.

Yes indeed they have truly streamlined their operation. If it gets much more streamlined they can just have an office in London for all the good it will do the Brit Citizens in Thailand.

"Important" for the Poms perhaps, not so for the rest of the community! (Boy, are they a pack of whingers or what?) It's quite a pleasant drive to the big BKK occasionally, eh?

Mmmm - quite a pleasant drive from Phuket to Bangkok and back. Well yes, if you want to have a 10+ hour drive each way, drive through the madness of BKK. No thanks, I always fly.

• Like 1

This has raised a question - has anyone here had experience in applying for a second (concurrent) British passport from Phuket?

Can the local honorary consul assist with this in Phuket?

Any advice appreciated - might as well follow this up before they reduce services on 1st November.

"Important" for the Poms perhaps, not so for the rest of the community! (Boy, are they a pack of whingers or what?) It's quite a pleasant drive to the big BKK occasionally, eh?

There certainly seems to be a fair amount of disinformation from the usual culprits, as occurred when the consulate closed in pattaya. The facts as I see them are:

- "Pension letters" will be provided by post without the need to venture anywhere.

- Non British outlets (ie lawyers) can do some of the other work without the need of a trip to Bkk.

A more modern and streamlined service ? If the Poms believe that 'pollie' bulldust, its no wonder England is in such a mess. I have just been there for a holiday and can only say "Thank god i left the sinking hole 40 years ago when i saw the writing on the wall"

These morons make thousands just on providing a letter of income this excuse is total Bull S**T it is just a cost cutting excercise with total disregard for all the British ex-pats living miles away from BKK The same happened with passports it is a total joke might as well close all the British Embassy's abroad and get rid of the Honoury Consulates Oh wait a minute we can't do that we need these people to visit the drug dealers and other scum locked up in overseas jails but for those who want to enjoy retirement we will make life difficult Time to transfer 800,000 into my bank account and stick two finger up at those in charge of making these outrageous decisions. clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

This has raised a question - has anyone here had experience in applying for a second (concurrent) British passport from Phuket?

Can the local honorary consul assist with this in Phuket?

Any advice appreciated - might as well follow this up before they reduce services on 1st November.

\

Not a British one.

But be aware that Phuket Immigration will NOT transfer your visa stamps to your new passport WITHOUT a Letter of Request from your Consul or Embassy.

Yup. More and more for less and less. My experience with British consular services around the world has always been pretty dismal. Miserable staff, extortionate prices for low level services but 'golly gosh, must have a bash for HM birthday'.

UK passport 48 pages £184 (9,240 THB). Thai passport 66 pages 1,000 THB (£19). Ever spiralling costs for ever reducing services.

• Like 2