Have You Ever Met a Thai Apologist?

HeijoshinCool

I was visiting a friend today, sitting amongst and quietly listening to a group of either neutral or bashing westerners, when it occurred to me that I have never met, in 6 years of living here, a single Thai apologist.

Granted, there are a few on TV, but in real life, has anyone actually met an apologist, in person?

• Like 1

He wai'd a motorbike taxi?

Okay, you've met one.

I remember some years back, sitting outside Gullivers on Soi 5 , and this white bloke Wai,d the spirit house outside 7/11. Now, I didn't meet him, and I don't know if he was an apologist, but he certainly looked a right tool.

Does that count?

• Like 2

He wai'd a motorbike taxi?

Okay, you've met one.

I remember some years back, sitting outside Gullivers on Soi 5 , and this white bloke Wai,d the spirit house outside 7/11. Now, I didn't meet him, and I don't know if he was an apologist, but he certainly looked a right tool.

Does that count?

Er, are you insinuating apologists look like ... tools?

Ahem.

Probably just a wannabe.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

I have a friend who visits Thailand regularly. All of his opinions about Thais are formed from his observations from his bar stool. The original bar stool philosopher. He refuses to accept that certain patterns of behaviour are simply indefensible, arguing that this country belongs to Thais, and we farangs have no right to bitch about anything. He's English and dfends the right of all migrants to his country to bitch and moan. Tosser and hypocrite.When I say I've been here 25 years and have paid my dues and made a big contribution, he sneers as though it's meaningless. He says in a quite heated fashion that I still have no right to complain about anything. BTW, he once invested in a nice beer bar many years ago, but owned it only 3 weeks before it was ripped from his hands (Chuwit, soi 10). So go figure his attitude.

• Like 2

I have a friend who visits Thailand regularly. All of his opinions about Thais are formed from his observations from his bar stool. The original bar stool philosopher. He refuses to accept that certain patterns of behaviour are simply indefensible, arguing that this country belongs to Thais, and we farangs have no right to bitch about anything. He's English and dfends the right of all migrants to his country to bitch and moan. Tosser and hypocrite.When I say I've been here 25 years and have paid my dues and made a big contribution, he sneers as though it's meaningless. He says in a quite heated fashion that I still have no right to complain about anything. BTW, he once invested in a nice beer bar many years ago, but owned it only 3 weeks before it was ripped from his hands (Chuwit, soi 10). So go figure his attitude.

Sounds like a real apologist.

The"if you don't like it go home crowd" ate extremely childish.

I love the banter and the learning of talking it over.

If you don't like it leave", is for movie reviewing.

That crew, and there are a few who shall remain nameless at this point are certainly bordering on the apologist / saffron tinted glasses brigade. One of main ones, seems to not be posting at the moment, maybe he got shafted by a Thai.

• Like 1

It is not possible for anyone who uses taxis on a regular basis to be an apologist. Same for anyone going to immigration. All apologists, in my view, are people living in far away rural parts of Thailand illegally.

• Haha 1

That crew, and there are a few who shall remain nameless at this point are certainly bordering on the apologist / saffron tinted glasses brigade. One of main ones, seems to not be posting at the moment, maybe he got shafted by a Thai.

Well, there is good and bad everywhere and there are problems all over the place.

Not discussing problems that are there to be found probably goes against some odd primal instinct.

Caveman one : don't go over there, there is a huge man eating dinosaur.

Caveman two : if you don't like it go home.

Makes no sense whatsoever to ignore it, and not want to pass on the local knowledge.

Well, there is good and bad everywhere and there are problems all over the place.

Not discussing problems that are there to be found probably goes against some odd primal instinct.

Caveman one : don't go over there, there is a huge man eating dinosaur.

Caveman two : if you don't like it go home.

Makes no sense whatsoever to ignore it, and not want to pass on the local knowledge.

• Like 1

It is not possible for anyone who uses taxis on a regular basis to be an apologist. Same for anyone going to immigration. All apologists, in my view, are people living in far away rural parts of Thailand illegally.

You second sentence occurred to me today, listening to everyone talk about their experiences.

Maybe that's why I've never actually met an apologist in person.

They're hiding.

Maybe one will show up here.

I often wonder if there's a sense of the "liitle brown cousin" syndrome in the apologists. Inherent in that could well be a superiority complex trying to fit the politically correct mould fbor the sake of personal expediency. "Lets be nice to our little brown cousins." So to speak. That might be an unfair way to look at it, especially if you're an apologist, but my views are tainted by the fact that I grew up in an egalitarian society. And apologists always seemed to me to be that those trying the hardest to appear magnanimous towards the "underclass" (<deleted> expression) came from a privileged position. They always seem to try too h ard. They cannot look at certain behavioural patterns as being unacceptable (I'm not talking criminal behaviour here - mostly, anyway). Let's just pat them on the head.

• Like 1

Well, although I don't entirely agree with his sentiment.. the key here is what are you going to do? Does the bitching actually accomplish anything? What benefits do you receive from 'paying your dues' and your 'big contribution', do Thai people sit up and and take heed to what you say, listen when you have a grievance (and act appropriately)? Where exactly does the complaining and bitching get you?

Don't get me wrong, it's great to have a good whinge with your mates, but anything further than that and you are simply wasting your time and raising your blood pressure.

Maybe some 'apologists' are just being realistic...

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster
  • Like 1

Only relativists who say that every culture is unique and different, and that we cant judge them. "Don't comment on Thailand because it has different beliefs and cultures which we have no right to judge. "

I think its a lazy and nihilistic argument, personally.

Edited by razorramone
  • Like 2

All in moderation.

I find Thai bashers really irritating as they just show themselves to be hypocritical arrogant bullies. It's as if they have brought their bitterness with them over here.

At the same time, Thai Apologists are really annoying on here, as they are constantly looking to make sure no-one is saying a bad word and are always defending the inexcusable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a little moan about some things and ways here (all in moderation); I mean let's face it Thais often laugh and whinge about us, so why can't I have a little moan when people walk too slowly in front of me or that too many people here are obsessed with talking about food all the time wink.png - as long as it isn't vicious bashing or generalising Thai people in a horrible and offensive way, then there's nothing wrong with it.

And at the same time, it's good to see people stick up for Thais on here; it's just annoying when people aren't being offensive or nasty and just having a little moan or pointing out something from the news and you get accused of Thai bashing.

I did see one guy who might have been a Thai Apologist, I guess, in the way that he acted, thought he was Thai (people who think they are Thai are ridiculous). He moaned at myself for not being good with my Thai, then went over to a motorbike taxi driver and wah'd him before hopping on. Never even seen a Thai do that. He looked completely ridiculous.

(people who think they are Thai are ridiculous). Yes! you hit the nail on the head,they are so ridiculous,they don't even know the Thais are laughing at them,and as for accepting them as brothers it's so pathetic,I suspect even their own Country and Kin are very happy to see them go native in Thailand.

The Walter Mitty Dreamers,escaping from reality, just keep on coming.......they walk amongst us!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

All in moderation.

I find Thai bashers really irritating as they just show themselves to be hypocritical arrogant bullies. It's as if they have brought their bitterness with them over here.

At the same time, Thai Apologists are really annoying on here, as they are constantly looking to make sure no-one is saying a bad word and are always defending the inexcusable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a little moan about some things and ways here (all in moderation); I mean let's face it Thais often laugh and whinge about us, so why can't I have a little moan when people walk too slowly in front of me or that too many people here are obsessed with talking about food all the time wink.png - as long as it isn't vicious bashing or generalising Thai people in a horrible and offensive way, then there's nothing wrong with it.

And at the same time, it's good to see people stick up for Thais on here; it's just annoying when people aren't being offensive or nasty and just having a little moan or pointing out something from the news and you get accused of Thai bashing.

I did see one guy who might have been a Thai Apologist, I guess, in the way that he acted, thought he was Thai (people who think they are Thai are ridiculous). He moaned at myself for not being good with my Thai, then went over to a motorbike taxi driver and wah'd him before hopping on. Never even seen a Thai do that. He looked completely ridiculous.

a LITTLE moan?? lol. so many whiners here take every opportunity to denigrate thais and their ways of doing things.