Where To Perforate Leather

H1w4yR1da

Hi, I have a decent leather jacket being sent over from UK but it's a little too hot for Thailand. Does anyone know a shop in Bangkok that has the tools to perforate leather? Or even where to buy a perforating tool for DIY?

Thanks.

Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Like 1

You need to check the thickness of the leather- if it's ~1mm it might work, otherwise it could be a problem.

My guess is that it's too thick- generally perforated leather jackets use thinner leather on the perf sections (non-impact areas) as it allows better airflow and use thicker leather on impact areas- non-perf jackets usually use thicker leather everywhere- you would have to make the holes too large for it to flow.

You might look into having some zippered vents sewn in (2 vertically cut front and back).

• Like 1

I should mention that incorrectly placed vents could negatively affect the structural integrity of your jacket in a crash (as could improperly situated perforation).

exactly, the vent holes become tear line weak points.

• Like 1

There is a listing in the Motorcycle Directory Project. Passed in front the shop recently, it does exists. They might be able to help you.
An An Leather - Bangkok
Shop for custom leather work, tailoring and repairs.
1 Sukhumvit Soi 1
0-2650-3664

many pro riders wear perforated suits, not as scary as it 'seams' wink.png

I wear a perforated suit (and jackets and pants and boots)- I trust Dainese and Alpinstars and similar companies to get it right- I don't necessarily trust some Bangkok tailor who works with leather to properly add vents to the gear that I trust to save my skin- properly setting up leather to vent air and still be protective is something that requires skill and know-how.;)

I wear a perforated suit (and jackets and pants and boots)- I trust Dainese and Alpinstars and similar companies to get it right- I don't necessarily trust some Bangkok tailor who works with leather to properly add vents to the gear that I trust to save my skin- properly setting up leather to vent air and still be protective is something that requires skill and know-how.wink.png

I didnt suggest he get some tailor to do it, so you can get that out of your head right now.

I wear a perforated suit (and jackets and pants and boots)- I trust Dainese and Alpinstars and similar companies to get it right- I don't necessarily trust some Bangkok tailor who works with leather to properly add vents to the gear that I trust to save my skin- properly setting up leather to vent air and still be protective is something that requires skill and know-how.wink.png

I didnt suggest he get some tailor to do it, so you can get that out of your head right now.

OK- I thought your comment was in reference to the safety concerns expressed earlier in the thread. Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

I think that tool is spaced to close together, the perforations on my jacket has about 3-4 hole widths between holes.

Could be more prone to tear with that tool, but if its placed in non stressed areas it 'might' be ok.

EDIT: Nevermind, just read the link and it says the tubes can be rearranged :)

Edited by KRS1

Just how much air do you expect to flow through holes of any size less than a few centimeters? You need complete cutaway sections and then, as others have suggested the integrity of your jacket is compromised.

If you are hot in black leather there are two reasons, one it is black, the best heat absorbing colour bar none and two it is leather an inherently windproof material designed to keep you WARM!!!!! Hell's bells it kept the cow warm originally, why would it suddenly change it's insulating characteristics just because you are wearing it?.

Keep your jacket for riding in England. coffee1.gif

Just how much air do you expect to flow through holes of any size less than a few centimeters? You need complete cutaway sections and then, as others have suggested the integrity of your jacket is compromised.

If you are hot in black leather there are two reasons, one it is black, the best heat absorbing colour bar none and two it is leather an inherently windproof material designed to keep you WARM!!!!! Hell's bells it kept the cow warm originally, why would it suddenly change it's insulating characteristics just because you are wearing it?.

Keep your jacket for riding in England. coffee1.gif

Well, that's a pretty idiotic post.

I take it you've never ridden a big bike while wearing a perforated leather jacket.

To answer your first dumb question? A fair amount of air. Maybe not as much as my perforated Dainese jacket but I'll take any improvement over a non-perforated one. At high speed, the air flow in a perforated leather jacket is acceptable in this climate.

Two, one doesn't need 'complete cutaway sections' as you stated. Perforations will do fine.

Three. Where did I mention a 'black' leather jacket?

Finally, if you've nothing constructive to add to the thread, please feel free to bugger off,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you are tear-arsing around the country I am quite willing to concede that you can stay relatively cool no matter what you are wearing, the problem lies when you are in town traffic, or waiting at lights. Black leather gear is a real bad idea, but I can see that some of you guys have your mind made up, you ignore the laws of physics in favour of what you did in your mother land and convince yourself that it applies here.

Sure leather is a great protector when it comes to abrasion and it sure as hell keeps the cold out, but it don't work here in Thailand, that is why the Thais don't wear leather. How does the saying go? "Mad dogs and Englishman go out in the midday sun", but even Noel Coward didn't mention doing it in black leather.

If you think punching a few holes in a nice leather jacket is constructive, you should bugga off yourself, I am being constructive by suggesting he shouldn't destroy his jacket.

Stick that in your trendy iPhone........

Edited by AllanB

Keep your jacket for riding in England. Posted Image

Well, that's a pretty idiotic post.

I take it you've never ridden a big bike while wearing a perforated leather jacket.

To answer your first dumb question? A fair amount of air. Maybe not as much as my perforated Dainese jacket but I'll take any improvement over a non-perforated one. At high speed, the air flow in a perforated leather jacket is acceptable in this climate.

Two, one doesn't need 'complete cutaway sections' as you stated. Perforations will do fine.

Three. Where did I mention a 'black' leather jacket?

Finally, if you've nothing constructive to add to the thread, please feel free to bugger off,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you are tear-arsing around the country I am quite willing to concede that you can stay relatively cool no matter what you are wearing, the problem lies when you are in town traffic, or waiting at lights. Black leather gear is a real bad idea, but I can see that some of you guys have your mind made up, you ignore the laws of physics in favour of what you did in your mother land and convince yourself that it applies here.

Sure leather is a great protector when it comes to abrasion and it sure as hell keeps the cold out, but it don't work here in Thailand, that is why the Thais don't wear leather. How does the saying go? "Mad dogs and Englishman go out in the midday sun", but even Noel Coward didn't mention doing it in black leather.

If you think punching a few holes in a nice leather jacket is constructive, you should bugga off yourself, I am being constructive by suggesting he shouldn't destroy his jacket.

Stick that in your trendy iPhone........

Thais don't generally wear helmets so does that mean we shouldn't either!!!!!!

Your statement about colours and heat is correct. Your statement about the viability of perforated leather jackets is not.

We have them .We know they work...... and yes I agree that the Op should purchase a new jacket rather than adjust his current jacket.. may I suggest

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

• Like 2

Sigh! It may surprise you but I have ridden around Thailand in a perforated leather jacket for a number of years so I know all about how it feels while at lights and in heavy traffic. But what you don't seem to understand is that t it's a trade-off between protection and comfort. Many seasoned bikers in Thailand would agree I think, that perforated leather is the way to go. Mesh/textile jackets whilst comfortable and pretty just don't hold up in accidents when compared to perforated leather.

And please stop going in about black leather. Only a small part of my jackets are black.

Hey, why not enlighten us as to which jacket you wear and what you ride?

I've seen Thais riding superbikes in t-shirts and flip-flops so they're hardly a standard to which others should be measured.

As to purchasing a new jacket, yes, that's an option but the (rather pricey) jacket from the UK was a gift.

Too true. Leathers any day of the week. I can easily put up with getting wet once in awhile with my perforated leathers. They dry out fairly quickly one you re back on your way from my experiences.

• Like 1

yup, i actually dont get very wet at all with perforated leather, unless its the heaviest of downpours. Back hardly gets wet as long as im moving.

Textile can melt when you go down from the friction.

• Like 1

Found this- http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com.au/en-aud/8053-00.aspx?countryid=1030

Looks like the correct tool.

Pro-Perforator-Punch-Tool-8053-00_zps455

I only want to perforate some areas on the front of the jacket.

I've got a good idea hang your new jacket on the fence and find someone with a shotgun, use a No.9 cartridge about 40 baht and I reckon shoot your jacket, say from about 10 metre should do the trick. laugh.pngwhistling.gif

yup, i actually dont get very wet at all with perforated leather, unless its the heaviest of downpours. Back hardly gets wet as long as im moving.

Textile can melt when you go down from the friction.

Agreed in most instances. One case I was caught in a torrential downpour in slow moving traffic with nowhere to get off the main road. Surprisingly my 999S didn't miss a beat.

Last weekend I went to the Khon Kaen bike week (show), loads of Thai guys wearing black leather and that was the only thing being worn and being sold. It was mostly Harley gear and that's the point, they want to copy the west and on a cool evening out came the black leathers, mostly waistcoats, I might add. But they don't wear them for riding, or at least I have seldom seen them, and only farangs then. They don't wear helmets either, merely carry them around in case they need to enter the city centre.

Perhaps this is the wrong topic to raise this point, but this climate requires something that is appropriate and black leather ain't it. Back on topic, I think that you will be disappointed if you punch holes in your nice jacket, so you had better make a top job or the jacket will be trash.

After 4 years of riding here without body protection, we would dearly love to find something suitable and with a winter trip to the hills planned we may have to go for leathers. What we wear for the other 10 months is the problem and in my view this isn't the answer. I would add that my riding style is a little casual compared with some of you, so wind speed and it's cooling effect is going to be less, along with a need for body protection. ......Famous last words.

If you paid more than £100 for the coat, I would get it done professionally, after all labour cost are low here.

Last weekend I went to the Khon Kaen bike week (show), loads of Thai guys wearing black leather and that was the only thing being worn and being sold. It was mostly Harley gear and that's the point, they want to copy the west and on a cool evening out came the black leathers, mostly waistcoats, I might add. But they don't wear them for riding, or at least I have seldom seen them, and only farangs then. They don't wear helmets either, merely carry them around in case they need to enter the city centre.

Perhaps this is the wrong topic to raise this point, but this climate requires something that is appropriate and black leather ain't it. Back on topic, I think that you will be disappointed if you punch holes in your nice jacket, so you had better make a top job or the jacket will be trash.

After 4 years of riding here without body protection, we would dearly love to find something suitable and with a winter trip to the hills planned we may have to go for leathers. What we wear for the other 10 months is the problem and in my view this isn't the answer. I would add that my riding style is a little casual compared with some of you, so wind speed and it's cooling effect is going to be less, along with a need for body protection. ......Famous last words.

If you paid more than £100 for the coat, I would get it done professionally, after all labour cost are low here.

Your example of the 'Thai guys in black leather' has nothing to do with protection- it's about fashion and has nothing to do with safety concerns- they don't even wear helmets, so what do they care about proper riding gear? My leather gear (black or otherwise) offers the best possible protection if I have an accident- I could care less about 'fashion'.

You've posted on threads that have had not only good recommendations for leather protective gear, but textile and mesh gear as well- this gear has been tried-and-tested by people who have many years of riding in Thailand in their motorcycling lives, and yet you've chosen to denigrate what they've had to say based on nothing but your assumptions and preconceptions (which mean nothing in the face of actual, real-world experience). Your childish 'It's black so it's bad' attitude is not only annoying, but flat-out wrong. Leather is the single best material for motorcycle protective gear- yes, sometimes it gets too hot for it in Thailand and it's not the ideal choice for every riding scenario, but I'll push my tolerances to the limit for better protection.

You have chosen to foolishly ride without ptotection for years, and now you lament the lack of options- if you look at some other threads, there are a few textile jackets and pants that have been mentioned that would perfectly suit your needs, in colors you'll find acceptable. You'll need to spend at least 30K if you want to do it right (and more than that if you want the best gear)- jacket, pants, helmet, gloves, and footwear- that means name-brand CE-rated gear, not cheap Chinese crap that will fall apart the second it touches the pavement.

• Like 2

Here's a nice set-up (all of which I own except the gloves):

Alpinestars T-GP Air jacket, Alpinestars A10 textile pants, Alpinestars SMX-1 low-cut boots, Alpinestars SMX-2 Air Carbon gloves, Shoei GT-Air helmet- if you have a source in the States, that's about $1200 for an excellent, highly-protective, and well-vented hot-weather riding suit.

You could spend less on a helmet and pants (still good quality but not to the level I recommended) and get it to around $1000, or even a bit less.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Your example of the 'Thai guys in black leather' has nothing to do with protection- it's about fashion and has nothing to do with safety concerns- they don't even wear helmets, so what do they care about proper riding gear? My leather gear (black or otherwise) offers the best possible protection if I have an accident- I could care less about 'fashion'.

You've posted on threads that have had not only good recommendations for leather protective gear, but textile and mesh gear as well- this gear has been tried-and-tested by people who have many years of riding in Thailand in their motorcycling lives, and yet you've chosen to denigrate what they've had to say based on nothing but your assumptions and preconceptions (which mean nothing in the face of actual, real-world experience). Your childish 'It's black so it's bad' attitude is not only annoying, but flat-out wrong. Leather is the single best material for motorcycle protective gear- yes, sometimes it gets too hot for it in Thailand and it's not the ideal choice for every riding scenario, but I'll push my tolerances to the limit for better protection.

You have chosen to foolishly ride without ptotection for years, and now you lament the lack of options- if you look at some other threads, there are a few textile jackets and pants that have been mentioned that would perfectly suit your needs, in colors you'll find acceptable. You'll need to spend at least 30K if you want to do it right (and more than that if you want the best gear)- jacket, pants, helmet, gloves, and footwear- that means name-brand CE-rated gear, not cheap Chinese crap that will fall apart the second it touches the pavement.

You seemed to have missed my point by a mile, I have never argued that leather is not a great protector in the case of an accident, indeed I have repeatedly accepted that fact in my postings. I am annoyed that the designers have neglected the Thai along with other similar markets, forcing me to ride unprotected through pure discomfort, save for gloves and a helmet. Counter-productive if I lose concentration or pass out due to heat exhaustion, enveloped in my safety gear, which is my main point.

It is not just me, my Thai wife refuses to buy any of the leather gear I have proposed, saying she will "fry in it." You have correctly stated that there are textiles that offer the same protection, so where are they? .....Answer nowhere, the dealers here just import western stuff, or, as Thais like to do, copy.

You are also totally correct about western gear being properly tested, however, the CE labelling means virtually nothing, merely that the manufacturers declare that "it is fit for purpose". Ask any Chinese company and they will so it on for you for 2 cents extra.

I will bow out of this now and return when I found (or designed) something practical, perhaps a motor-cross skeleton jacket.

You didn't have a relevant point as far as safety gear goes- there was nothing to miss- your example of HD riders dressing up to play a part means nothing.

CE-ratings on quality brands are indeed tested and conform to the proper safety standard- Dainese and Alpinestars (and other respected manufacturers) do not simply 'sew on a label'. You are forcing yourself to ride without protection (do you really think designers have neglected the lucrative American summer riding season as far as gear goes?)- you can't blame the manufacturers for your foolishness- those of us who wear proper gear seem to get along just fine in LOS. You go for cheap Chinese copies- well, then, you might someday get what you've been asking for (though I hope not- I hate to see any riders go down, even the squids)- proper rated armor, correct double- and triple-stiching, correctly-place perforation, quality matyerials- you don't get any of this for Chinese copies of real gear.

BTW- the 'moto-cross skeleton jacket' you're going to design already exists- check out the Icon Stryker Rig (I've got one) or the Alpinestars Bionic Jacket- both offer proper armor surrounded by thin mesh, however they both give up abrasion resistance in favor of impact protection. Other companies also make their own versions.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

You didn't have a relevant point as far as safety gear goes- there was nothing to miss- your example of HD riders dressing up to play a part means nothing.

CE-ratings on quality brands are indeed tested and conform to the proper safety standard- Dainese and Alpinestars (and other respected manufacturers) do not simply 'sew on a label'. You are forcing yourself to ride without protection (do you really think designers have neglected the lucrative American summer riding season as far as gear goes?)- you can't blame the manufacturers for your foolishness- those of us who wear proper gear seem to get along just fine in LOS. You go for cheap Chinese copies- well, then, you might someday get what you've been asking for (though I hope not- I hate to see any riders go down, even the squids)- proper rated armor, correct double- and triple-stiching, correctly-place perforation, quality matyerials- you don't get any of this for Chinese copies of real gear.

BTW- the 'moto-cross skeleton jacket' you're going to design already exists- check out the Icon Stryker Rig (I've got one) or the Alpinestars Bionic Jacket- both offer proper armor surrounded by thin mesh, however they both give up abrasion resistance in favor of impact protection. Other companies also make their own versions.

The point I made was that people don't wear safety gear if is uncomfortable, because discomfort leads to other safety issues.

But okay, I can see you don't get it.....