1 month in BKK, don't want to use free hotel wifi, advice ?

chubby

1 month in BKK, don't want to use free hotel wifi, advice ?

I'm thinking the free shared wifi, is unlikely to be secure. but, i'm thinking an laptop air card would be too expensive, if not what would you recommend for sukhumwit 22, on low floor, card and service wise ?

Maybe a combination of 3G and affiliated (paid) WiFi service would suffice?

Many smartphones can be used as WiFi APs allowing one to share the 3G connection. An aircard can be purchased for less than 1,000 baht, and a 5 GB 3G plan is ~ 1,000 baht. TrueMove H might be a good option as they have good coverage and a great affiliated WiFi program with 100,000 hotspots throughout the country.

AIS charge Bt641 for 2Gb of data (throttled when it's finished) valid for one month. Seems to flip between 3G/H/H+.

Served me well every time I've used it for the last couple of years.

They have a shop in arrivals where you can get the SIM and package.

But don't stay too far up in the hotel!

Edited by Chicog

Why? Any sensitive sites you want to connect to like banks will have secure https connections. No one is going to break it unless they work for the NSA and have a backdoor key.

Wireless network security[edit]

Local Wi-Fi networks may be configured with varying levels of security enabled. Using a Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) password, the attacker running Firesheep must have the password, but once this has been achieved (a likely scenario if a coffee shop is asking all users for the same basic password) they are able to decrypt the cookies and continue their attack. However, using Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA or WPA2) encryption offers individual user isolation, preventing the attacker from using firesheep from decrypting cookies sent over the network even if the firesheep user has logged into the network using the same password.[11] An attacker would be able to manually retrieve and decrypt another user's data on a WPA-PSK connection, if the key is known and the attacker was present at the time of the handshake, or if they send a spoofed de-authenticate packet to the router, causing the user to re-authenticate and allow the attacker to capture the handshake. This attack would not work on WPA-Enterprise networks as there is no single password (the 'Pre Shared Key' in PSK).[12]

• 2 weeks later...

the connection over the years, being wifi, has been hit and miss on speed and reliability, i don't mind paying , if i can figure out a more secure, reliable, and consistent speed service. did you use an aircard for the AIS service, what aircard would i buy for the AIS and True service, before is leave the USA?

ais has cheap 3g plans that work in some locations eg. bkk BUT some locations in provincial cities its almost impossible to use, and even then you get low gprs speed with multiple disconnection per minute. useless.

i am very hesitant to sign up for their expensive package given their track record of claiming 3g and delivering pathetic gprs, even getting EDGE like speeds on their 3g city claim is a big hoped for dream that just wont happen.

if they were vendor selling noodle soup without the monopoly protection they would be out of business, only thing is dtac is just as bad if not worst.

Edited by b0nkr

Depends on what you will be doing on the connection, unless you need large amounts of up or down stream 3g should be fine. Large amounts need to be transferred use a VPN over wifi. Or better yet use 3g with a VPN. Even better pay for a VPN with Bitcoins, use a wifi device bought with cash, tethered to a cell phone bought with cash (sim purchased seperately with cash, in a different province) and change locations frequently to avoid triangulation.

hmm ya forgot about my vpn, i'll just have to run it off the laptop with sstp instead of openvpn. at least for security, not sure about speed, but maybe that will be ok, vpn'ing to a usa city , hmm

have you a vpn of choice, yourself ?

• 4 weeks later...