Anti-Govt Protesters Flying 'Al Qaeda' Banner

Lite Beer

IMO it is inconceivable that they know what Al Qaeda is. Thais generally have no idea what is happening else where in the world. Life starts and begins here in Thailand for most and you have to blame the Government for an overt strategy of keeping the masses uneducated in order to be able to manipulate them for the benefit of the elite and wealthy.

yes here's the anti-government post!

Indeed, I hear that Al Qaeda flags can be picked up just about anywhere these days. No need to attend a meeting, or get hold of one from someone maybe affiliated with it. I mean it happens all the time. People waving flags around they know nothing about. Man U fans, waving Liverpool flags happens extremely commonly.

I am sure Red Shirts, have their collection of "We love Sondhi" flags stashed at home just waiting to be picked up by accident.

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO it is inconceivable that they know what Al Qaeda is. Thais generally have no idea what is happening else where in the world. Life starts and begins here in Thailand for most and you have to blame the Government for an overt strategy of keeping the masses uneducated in order to be able to manipulate them for the benefit of the elite and wealthy.

This is my exact same thoughts. They wouldn't know Al Qaeda from camp fire girls. Their motto is, if it sounds cool, do it. blink.png

p.s. There's always the ever how many virgins thingy.. whistling.gif

So is the US Embassy going to launch a drone attack?  

Don't think for a second that they are not aware of this! And possibly already have their own agents in the crowd!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would think it possible they were a little wrong footed about an al Qaeda flag being flown in central Bangkok, yes.

I know that the American security agents are paranoid and a bit stuck in their James Bond world.......but I hope that you don't think that this is honestly the case.

If I was to fly an Al Qaeda flag in our garden, do you think that it would be swarming with armed agents the next morning, with my e-mails and phone calls intercepted and recorded and with 24 hour surveillance on my every move and action for the next couple of decades.

I think that as well as having a potential terrorist list, they also have a Nutter list - one can only hope so!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

IMO it is inconceivable that they know what Al Qaeda is. Thais generally have no idea what is happening else where in the world.  Life starts and begins here in Thailand for most and you have to blame the Government for an overt strategy of keeping the masses uneducated in order to be able to manipulate them for the benefit of the elite and wealthy.

Indeed, I hear that Al Qaeda flags can be picked up just about anywhere these days.  No need to attend a meeting, or get hold of one from someone maybe affiliated with it.  I mean it happens all the time.  People waving flags around they know nothing about.  Man U fans, waving Liverpool flags happens extremely commonly.  

I am sure Red Shirts, have their collection of "We love Sondhi" flags stashed at home just waiting to be picked up by accident.

Yeah, true... All this is a misunderstanding.

I don't want to sound like a yellow apologist, but I think I read somewhere that nowadays nearly e.v.e.r.y.b.o.d.y has an Al Qaeda flag at home somewhere in a drawer. It's very very common, believe it or not.

These gentle protesters might share a few ideas with Al Qaeda, go along with the way Al Qaeda spreads the good parole around the world, maybe enjoy the same (sometimes explosive) lifestyle, ... but... I am also pretty sure that they may not have gotten their flag after attending an Al Qaeda meeting. Or... Do you think that...? Uhm ..., Naaaaa! Impossible. These little angels only want the best for the country.

They just took the wrong flag. Everybody can make a mistake.

Even me, as terrifying as it can sound, I one day found a yellow t-shirt in my cupboard. I never wear it, of course :)

Sent from my iPhone...

Indeed, I hear that Al Qaeda flags can be picked up just about anywhere these days. No need to attend a meeting, or get hold of one from someone maybe affiliated with it. I mean it happens all the time. People waving flags around they know nothing about. Man U fans, waving Liverpool flags happens extremely commonly.

I don't want to sound like a yellow apologist, but I think I read somewhere that nowadays nearly e.v.e.r.y.b.o.d.y has an Al Qaeda flag at home somewhere in a drawer. It's very very common, believe it or not.

These gentle protesters might share a few ideas with Al Qaeda, go along with the way Al Qaeda spreads the good parole around the world, maybe enjoy the same (sometimes explosive) lifestyle, ... but... I am also pretty sure that they may not have gotten their flag after attending an Al Qaeda meeting. Or... Do you think that...? Uhm ..., Naaaaa! Impossible. These little angels only want the best for the country.

Even me, as terrifying as it can sound, I one day found a yellow t-shirt in my cupboard. I never wear it, of course smile.png

Sent from my iPhone...

I am not quite sure where you are going with this? Do you thing they accidentally waved an Al Qaeda flag or not? You think everyone in that protest is so politically naive, that it's likely they would accidentally do such a thing? Can you really reconcile this? I mean we have people on here trying to defend the reds that when someone stands up on stage and says "bring a load of petrol, and make Bangkok burn", that he meant it metaphorically.

So glad that apparently Al Qaeda flags are everywhere??? Bizarre.

I would say, that the possiblity that Al Qaeda may have got into the Southern problem so deeply, that they are willing to go along to essentially peaceful anti-government protests in Bangkok to be an extremely serious problem. It's one thing to have farmers protesting against rubber prices, it is entirely another thing to think that some nut job looking to kill a few infidels by causing a mess in Bangkok, might be sitting in the same group. So you better hope that this turns out to be provably a joke, because if this gets out into the world press, there will have to be a bunch of travel warnings put up.

"Proven Al Qaeda cell found in Bangkok and South of Thailand". Anyone for Bangkok or Phuket for New Year?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Khun Abhisit should dump these Democrats or Democrat alliance group pronto

About time the Democrats dumped Abhisit as to quote Dennis Healey when talking about Geoffrey Howe the PT party must feel "its like being mauled by a dead sheep" when Abhisit is on the attack.. Think they should get Chalerm into the Democrat party as understand that he is looking for a real job now that they have established he does in fact possess a brain.

About time the Democrats dumped Abhisit as to quote Dennis Healey when talking about Geoffrey Howe the PT party must feel "its like being mauled by a dead sheep" when Abhisit is on the attack.. Think they should get Chalerm into the Democrat party as understand that he is looking for a real job now that they have established he does in fact possess a brain.

Why on earth would Dennis Healey (Labour party) call for the dumping of Geoffrey Howe (Tory) when he (Howe) was ultimately responsible, with his cricket strewn analogy speech in the commons essentially leading to the removal of that awful woman Thatcher from power (and our lives)!!!!

Indeed. Either he needs to get himself some balls, or get hold of from somewhere some uncorrupted politcal attack dogs. As for Chalerm. Well, all I can say, is I hope he does the country a service and retires, somewhere warm, very quiet, a long way away from Thai media, like the Sahara or somewhere equivalent.

Arguing about Thaksin is like arguing about Obamacare - no one understands it. I've met an equal share of intelligent Thais who either like/dislile Thaksin. Both have equally good/strong arguments. Most farangs with an opinion in here simply says what their wife thinks.

A few examples below:

"many anti-government netizens nevertheless cheered the alleged Al Qaeda agents for standing up against Mr. Thaksin, whom they perceived to be a corrupt dictator" --

This will get out of hand. This will get out of hand and everyone will blame everyone else.

<deleted>?!

Yellows apologists are encouraged to post (convincing) comments regarding the pure, honest and peaceful motives that pushed these gentle protesters to use the Al Qaeda symbol, while courageously defying Thaksin, the devil in person, and his elected government. tongue.png Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How many Al Qaeda banners are there displayed at this site? Given that most Thai's seem to think Hitler and other nazi symbols are pretty cool, I'm surprised there's not been more before or even t-shirts. You can get Che, Hitler and Mao t-shirts, what next Obama sorry meant Osama, getting my terrorists mixed up, t-shirts.

You clearly believe that this government is Thaksin's and that he somehow influenced what you describe as "his elected government". Tut tut, you'll be getting a visit from the red shirt storm troopers if you're not careful. Yingluck is the PM/DM and makes all the decisions, like the ISA and massive police presence to deal with these outrageous senior citizens and students who dare to have a different view to her democratic government.

If you think Thaksin and PTP are whiter than white. then good luck to you, as you must believe those little white lies.

• Like 2

Arguing about Thaksin is like arguing about Obamacare - no one understands it. I've met an equal share of intelligent Thais who either like/dislile Thaksin. Both have equally good/strong arguments. Most farangs with an opinion in here simply says what their wife thinks.

A few examples below:

Only the Red shirt apologists listen to their wives (for obvious reasons). They allow themselves to be indoctrinated with falsehoods, lies and flawed arguments and go along with it to keep their family life peaceful and to prevent the divorce rates in Isaan from soaring!!!

You could say that their intelligence levels drop to that of their wives(family) in a similar fashion to a premier league team dropping their standards of play when playing a non-league team in the FA cup !!

Yellows apologists are encouraged to post (convincing) comments regarding the pure, honest and peaceful motives that pushed these gentle protesters to use the Al Qaeda symbol, while courageously defying Thaksin, the devil in person, and his elected government. Posted Image Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How many Al Qaeda banners are there displayed at this site? Given that most Thai's seem to think Hitler and other nazi symbols are pretty cool, I'm surprised there's not been more before or even t-shirts. You can get Che, Hitler and Mao t-shirts, what next Obama sorry meant Osama, getting my terrorists mixed up, t-shirts.

You clearly believe that this government is Thaksin's and that he somehow influenced what you describe as "his elected government". Tut tut, you'll be getting a visit from the red shirt storm troopers if you're not careful. Yingluck is the PM/DM and makes all the decisions, like the ISA and massive police presence to deal with these outrageous senior citizens and students who dare to have a different view to her democratic government.

If you think Thaksin and PTP are whiter than white. then good luck to you, as you must believe those little white lies.

Thaksin and PT may not be totally white, a bit grey maybe... Who is not?

However, that yellow bunch of yours holding an Al Qaeda flag... :blink: That looks very black to me :)

But let's not worry. It's probably just one more bunch of uneducated yellow protesters who just want to look tough. They for sure never went to an Al Qaeda meeting, and probably don't even know what they protest against (now I play the yellow apologist).

Now, of course, if these extremists really intend to follow the path of Al Qaeda, it would be less funny :unsure:

Could these yellow guys be even worse than we thought?

Naaaaaa... They are just... You know ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe they don't really know who Al Qaeda are or mixing them up with Al Jazera..

They couldn't find any Hitler or swastika posters, so they needed to fill the space with something cool....

Yellow shirts include many Chula graduates.....

Edited by bangon04
  • Like 1

"The context of the banner is unclear, as there is no immediate information how the protesters, who are demanding for resignation of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, might be related to the terrorist organisation."

They aren't related. It's just protesters, probably students, trying to be " well hard". They have leeched onto a terrorist organisation they perceive to be scary in order to massage their egos and belief they are "dangerous scary dudes". Stupid thing to do, maybe, but hardly a real threat.

Edited by Bluespunk

Even me, as terrifying as it can sound, I one day found a yellow t-shirt in my cupboard. I never wear it, of course smile.png

Sent from my iPhone...

I am not quite sure where you are going with this? Do you thing they accidentally waved an Al Qaeda flag or not? You think everyone in that protest is so politically naive, that it's likely they would accidentally do such a thing? Can you really reconcile this? I mean we have people on here trying to defend the reds that when someone stands up on stage and says "bring a load of petrol, and make Bangkok burn", that he meant it metaphorically.

So glad that apparently Al Qaeda flags are everywhere??? Bizarre.

I would say, that the possiblity that Al Qaeda may have got into the Southern problem so deeply, that they are willing to go along to essentially peaceful anti-government protests in Bangkok to be an extremely serious problem. It's one thing to have farmers protesting against rubber prices, it is entirely another thing to think that some nut job looking to kill a few infidels by causing a mess in Bangkok, might be sitting in the same group. So you better hope that this turns out to be provably a joke, because if this gets out into the world press, there will have to be a bunch of travel warnings put up.

"Proven Al Qaeda cell found in Bangkok and South of Thailand". Anyone for Bangkok or Phuket for New Year?

1. It wasn't a flag.

2. It was home-made, hand-written banner.

3. There's not been any mention of Al Qaeda in any of the speeches at the rally.

4. There's never been any previous indication Al Qaeda has any presence whatsoever in Thailand.

5. Even the article openly states, The context of the banner is unclear

6. Perhaps prudent to await any additional information before embarking on wildly alarmist rhetoric.

:coffee1:

That's what I am sure the blokes in the USA embassy are doing right now.

"Underground Al Qaeda is here!"

These ones?

Do they really mean this video is made by Al Qaeda???

Take a look at the background! It is thai fabric.

Al Qaeda usually use some slogan as background

You don't have to have a licencing agreement with al Qaeda to act out a terrorist act. It might not look like it completely, but if someone act out a terrorist act in the name of all Qaeda, that's enough.

Maybe they don't really know who Al Qaeda are or mixing them up with Al Jazera..

They couldn't find any Hitler or swastika posters, so they needed to fill the space with something cool....

Chula graduates..... that's exactly where the problem starts..... Thai education......

I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some Al Quaeda activity in south Thailand, whether indigenous or imported. It's a significant Islamic conflict and a large number of radical muslims here do still want the de facto leader of the PTP government to be held to account for his past actions.

It's possible they are simply riding limply on the current anti-government protest or it could all be a sham, as the AQ death threat video was widely claimed to be or it may just be a few delinquent Thai students.

It won't add up to much anyway.

Chula graduates..... that's exactly where the problem starts..... Thai education......

Don't single out Chula. I know many Chula students and they dislike the Yellows as much as the Reds. In fact, most of the Thais that I know; middle class or poor are tired of the whole Yellow and Red Shirt division. They are disillusioned by both, and see one as bad as the other. What are they then? They are tired of the stranglehold of corruption in government, the privilege of the Elite and see the current government as the epitome of both. To wit: what they don't see is future for Thailand.

• Like 1

Don't single out Chula. I know many Chula students and they dislike the Yellows as much as the Reds. In fact, most of the Thais that I know; middle class or poor are tired of the whole Yellow and Red Shirt division. They are disillusioned by both, and see one as bad as the other. What are they then? They are tired of the stranglehold of corruption in government, the privilege of the Elite and see the current government as the epitome of both. To wit: what they don't see is future for Thailand.

This lot are the priveleged?

They are country bumpkins in comparison with the really privileged in Thailand.

The pen is mightier than the sword. Put up one poster and the media will blow it out of proportion. Ever seen a filming of a news crew filming a protest? 20 people jumping around to get in the news, standing on a near empty street. Remember " The media is the message"?

• Like 1