Thai court acquits Santika nightclub owner after deadly inferno

Lite Beer

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps Surin could form a group of "untouchables" that have only one aim to expose corruption and and make much publicity around those cases. Very perhaps in the longer run it will motivate more and more people to not just stand by and watch it all happen. At the same time some effort in educating the youth could be organised.

If people do what they did they will get what they got. Nobody wants that.

A post in all caps has been removed. Posting in all capitals or in all bold, and using large or unusual fonts and colors is bad netiquette.

A post containing Thai language has been removed, English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

The court found that the charges in his indictment for directly causing death through carelessness were unclear and lacked evidence.

In other news, somchai told the teacher he forgot his homework because the dog ate it.

80 people died ladies and gentlemen. 80. In a club owned by this Muppet, with no licence. The guy has trousered millions over the years and he walk s away in this manner.

Puke!

No Thonglor police have been prosecuted for allowing it to operate for years without a licence, nor have the owners. No one from the BMA has been prosecuted for allowing it to be built with fake documents in the planning permission application and the applicants have not been prosecuted for lying about the purpose of the building. AFAIK the Revenue Dept has declined to prosecute and collect back taxes with interest after it was acknowledged that it was an entertainment venue and not a restaurant as was falsely claimed in the registration documents and tax filings. The special tax on entertainment businesses is 10% of revenues which can be arbitrarily assessed, if there is suspicion that falsified records have been submitted.

One of the main differences between countries that become developed economies and those that remain stuck in the middle income trap is rule of law. This is not perceived as such a big issue when developing economies are growing at high single digit rates and everyone is visibly becoming more prosperous. But it becomes a serious problem when growth is stagnating around 3-4% and lack of rule of law and massive corruption drive foreign direct investment elsewhere.

Thailand risks being perceived as having the best justice money can buy.

• Like 1

So how much did the acquittals cost him anyway? 'Guess this is just the "thai way" of sort of converting actual criminal penalties to "fines". 'Wonder if it's a "bid & asked" thing, or firm fixed price, or cost-plus, or what? 'Guess most thai lawyers must be accomplished hagglers as well, eh?

I wasn't in the Appeals Court when they made this decision, but the job of these judges is to consider the evidence put before them. They obviously considered that the conviction in the lower court was erroneous and therefore was quashed. Why do we have to assume that there was bias or any sort of corruption involved in their decision? They had the full facts; we don't. We only have newspaper reports.

I think your user name sums it up, just got here by chance?

No, I've been here a few years now, settled etc. I know there is a lot of corruption in this country; seen it with my own eyes. I'm just not going to assume that every decision that a court makes is biased or corrupt. We can't live like that else we become untrusting and despondent.

"Untrusting", hell yes, but "despondent"? not a chance in hell.

• Like 1

First off have a word in the ear of the court clerk and the judges friends at the golf club..

Bow your head, look contrite and then as the coup de grace wave your Thai passport and get off scott free.

We had a similar tragedy here in Dublin, The Stardust night club, in 1981 when 48 youngsters lost their lives

when the fire escape doors were chained. Nobody went to jail. Seems to be an international thing to avoid jail.

Christy Moore song;

In a matter of seconds confusion did reign. The room was in darkness, fire exits were chained.

and

Hundreds of children are injured and maimed, and all just because the fire exits were chained.

Did we really expect anything different? No rich guy is ever going to spend any real time in jail. 67 lives? 67 nobodies. Therefore, no jail time.

Yes,very true and very Thai. Obviously a big payoff here. Unfortunately for the pyrotechnics boss didn't have enough cash !

Is he actually in jail yet?...

Licensed as a noodle shop is that really a fact??? This should not be allowed to go away, the civilised world should get more of an insight in to this sick society.

Quoting Edmund Burke. And he died more than 200 years ago sums up this debacle completely " All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

• Like 1

Licensed as a noodle shop is that really a fact??? This should not be allowed to go away, the civilised world should get more of an insight in to this sick society.

Quoting Edmund Burke. And he died more than 200 years ago sums up this debacle completely " All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

• Like 1

Did we really expect anything different? No rich guy is ever going to spend any real time in jail. 67 lives? 67 nobodies. Therefore, no jail time.

Yes,very true and very Thai. Obviously a big payoff here. Unfortunately for the pyrotechnics boss didn't have enough cash !

Is he actually in jail yet?...

No, he was bailed upon appeal, post sentencing.

Why don't some of you blame on the authorities (the police, the fire department, the housing authority, etc) for not enforcing the law? Can't you see what the underlying problems are?

Let me spell it out for you: Thailand needs to enforce the law and people should be made known to abide by the rules of law!

No... Let me spell it out for you...

THERE IS NO RULE OF LAW in Thailand.

If you expect that, you are sadly mistaken. Rule of law is a western legal and social construct that has no basis, effect, or standing in Thailand and most of Asia. Here, the rules are flexible... the more money and influence you have, the more flexible the rules. This is considered normal and correct and appropriate here.

I'm not justifying it. I'm not saying its good, or right, or correct. Just that it is the way it is.

• Like 2

If you expect that, you are sadly mistaken. Rule of law is a western legal and social construct that has no basis, effect, or standing in Thailand and most of Asia. Here, the rules are flexible... the more money and influence you have, the more flexible the rules. This is considered normal and correct and appropriate here. 

I'm not justifying it. I'm not saying its good, or right, or correct. Just that it is the way it is.

This.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Licensed as a noodle shop is that really a fact???

Yes, it was in a city zone designated to be free of entertainment venues. It was licensed as a noodle stall and did not have a license to sell alcohol.

A high ranking police officer was made a share holder, which was when the police raids stopped.

This would not be unusual of business and life in Thailand.

A sick society.

Unfortunately its a case of 'User Beware' in any venue in Thailand.

The recent Supercheap fire in Phuket revealed full insurance for replacement of the buildings ( well, 'sheds') at 600 million.

It also revealed the grand amount of 3 million baht ( approx $US100,000)in total , allowable for death or injury for all/any staff and customers!

It allowed for no compensation to neighbouring properties.

A Thai woman who kept a 2 day vigil outside its smoldering remains awaiting news of her missing cashier daughter would not speak to the press after police investigators denied a single fatality and promised severe penalties to anyone claiming otherwise.

All forensic evidence collected was sent immediately off island to Surat Thani.

Absolutely no statement has been made as to the glaring inadequacey and lack of safety measuresin that outlet itself.

I believe there were some high rollers there; all foreigners like Singaporeans. Good time for families of the deceased to find him and bring their own justice.

Tourist can read...

Yes, But never get told! Were you told of the scams etc by your travel agent or government before you first came to Thailand - I think not! Not very good for business eh? Jet Skies come to mind, maybe we should start a 'Thailand Trip Warning Website' here on the TV forum full of sound sensible advice for the uninitiated tourists who can read and are willing to learn.

Karma, Karma, Karma....

All those involved in this injustice will come back as cockroaches next life.

Scandalous Justice that can't even be called justice...

Never liked cockroaches; even more reason to crush the little basxxxs!

Ludicrouse outcome; BUT I'm sure very predictable!

Anybody heard what's happened to the 'Red Bull heir's case' ????

Why don't some of you blame on the authorities (the police, the fire department, the housing authority, etc) for not enforcing the law? Can't you see what the underlying problems are?

Let me spell it out for you: Thailand needs to enforce the law and people should be made known to abide by the rules of law!

Ok, let's accept that as a given. IF Thailand wants to keep playing in big boy pants, it had better change. Its choice, but it can't escape modern realities.