PM Yingluck urges talks, not protests, on Amnesty Bill

webfact

PM Yingluck urges talks, not protests, on Amnesty Bill
By English News

13824412426718.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 23 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra called on proponents and opponents of the Amnesty Bill to dialogue with talks so that Thailand can move forward.

She said the bill was proposed by Pheu Thai Samut Prakan MP, Vorachai Hema, not the government, and insisted that it was not a finance-related legislation.

The opposition bloc said earlier that it was a financial bill and the government would have to step down if the bill was rejected by Parliament.

The bill was passed in the first reading by the House of Representatives and is currently under deliberation by the House scrutiny committee.

The scrutiny committee has changed some details of the bill – a move which exasperated the opposition Democrat Party and civil society networks in Thai society.

Several anti-Amnesty Bill groups have vowed to stage mass rallies next month to protest against the bill.

They said the scrutinised version of the bill would favour ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in regaining his confiscated assets, seized after a Supreme Court ruling.

Ms Yingluck said there are several more steps before the bill would pass into law.

She said the security authorities would closely monitor the political situation to maintain public order and ensure that protester movements would not affect the convenience of the public, safety and traffic.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said he disagreed with both the original Amnesty Bill and the scrutinised version, and stood firm that offenders in criminal or lese majeste cases should not be pardoned.

If ex-premier Thaksin is cleared of all charges, he would definitely exercise his right to seek the restoration of his seized assets, said Mr Abhisit.

Chavanond Indarakomalyasut, Democrat spokesman, said his party would not accept pardons for people from all groups and all colours as proposed by Pheu Thai MP Prayuth Siripanich.

He said the terms of the imposition of the Amnesty Bill were vague and could possibly be nullified by the Constitution Court. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-23

Give it away will you ??? The only people that want this amnesty so badly are you, your brother and his cronies. Realize that your stance on this bill is holding the entire country to ransom and making the political and security situation here very precarious to say the least. You should be ashamed of yourself. passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

You need to be a sentient being capable of independent rational thought to feel shame.

• Like 2

Maybe the talks should have been held before this reading was passed. What happened to the vote of the people on this subject? The way its being handled and after the fact excuses has hit a hornets nest , hope they all get stung hard, multiple times.

I question how she expects the issue to be dealt with through "talks" when the oversight committee are prepared to simply change the final draft before presenting it for the next reading.

That committee should be disbanded, and a new committee formed on the basis on non-partisan committee members; perhaps then, the talking can start...!!

Obviously "the people" think that "actions speak louder than words"... Good luck on this one...

She acted, lied and got her picture in the paper and on the television. Isn't that what she does? Besides go on trips that achieve little or nothing but spend money.

She said the bill was proposed by Pheu Thai Samut Prakan MP, Vorachai Hema, not the government, and insisted that it was not a finance-related legislation.

Unbelievable that the will of the people can be so overlooked for the benefit of one criminal.

Good advice - from someone who refuses to talk to the Ombudsman and answer his questions on the illegal issuing of a new Thai passport by her cousin the FM to her criminal fugitive brother.

Sadly, even YL probably realizes by now that big brother is impatient and will issue instructions whether she likes them or not. She's floundering around pretending to be important and trying to make statesmen like comments. She might as well bugger off on another trip. No one takes any notice of her.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

At some point the missunderstood fugitive will get the amnesty. Then he can come home protected by an army, take back the frozen accounts and bail out again. Will be interesting to see what the voters in the north will think about him then.

• Like 1

Unbelievable that the will of the people can be so overlooked for the benefit of one criminal.

Thaksin have noting to gain at all.

" to dialogue with talks ... scrutiny committee has changed some details of the bill"

I.E. sorry you should have given input before, now it's time for decisions. Thailand and Thaksin need to move forward and can only do so together. Amnesty now, even for those who don't want it and those who don't need it. Reconcile now!

In the mean time our security forces will monitor our ratings in 'freedom' indices and I'm sure we'll soon be on top of all.

Thaksin have noting to gain at all.

The sad thing is you actually believe that.

• Like 2

This amnesty juggernaut has been going nowhere fast on for two years now.

Surely enough is enough, unload the troublesome heavy baggage and as KY herself has said let's move forward.

Thailand will not move forward, amnesty or not.

Thailand exists to stand still, at least that is what PTP seems to want to perpetuate.

The only variable seems to be the level of 'success' of corruption.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

At some point the missunderstood fugitive will get the amnesty. Then he can come home protected by an army, take back the frozen accounts and bail out again. Will be interesting to see what the voters in the north will think about him then.

"Then he can come home protected by an army,..............."

is it really that simple. He may have been lulled into believing that he has 100% support of the army, but then he should remind himself of the army's first duty and to whom.

Are you doubting the unthinking support for Thaksin in the North.

The PTP voters in the North voted for Thaksin. The current state of the country is a mystery to them.

Even my 'educated' wife can't understand criticism of their bountiful benefactor.

So I can only assume you are anticipating the hordes descending on Bangkok in celebration.

is it really that simple. He may have been lulled into believing that he has 100% support of the army, but then he should remind himself of the army's first duty and to whom.

With "protected by an army" I meant that he would/will need an army to prtect him because the guy will never be safe in Thailand. I did NOT mean the Thai army although some units may very well support the missunderstood fugitiv3 with his lot. Money buys many but not most.

The PTP voters in the North voted for Thaksin. The current state of the country is a mystery to them.

Even my 'educated' wife can't understand criticism of their bountiful benefactor.

So I can only assume you are anticipating the hordes descending on Bangkok in celebration.

Oh no, I do not doubt the immense support the missunderstood fugitive has in the north, nor do I missunderstand that fact. For generations the people up north were neglected by the Bangkok elite, had nothing to expect but poverty. The missunderstood fugitive, being very intelligent as he is, listened to them, became their voice and raised their standard of living significantly. First time ever someone important took them seriously. But I will not see the people up north as ignorant, blinded followers of the crook.

They too will finally find out the nature of the beast. And will become an emancipated group in Thai politics and society. Simple rhetorics will no longer suffice to get in power and to stay there while filling pockets with public money. It's just a long, hard road to true democracy. It takes courages to keep walking that road. The bkk elite will has to do some major changing too. I see Surin as aperson who may do some short term good as a start. Perhaps he can make a start.

• Like 1

Also that the army has sharp shooters. I think that is a fear of his. He dosen't have enough relatives to control every thing.

Defiantly could be wrong here but did not the Dems win a by election in the North.

If it was proposed in a government vetting committee by a member of the Government it is government related.

If She wanted reunification she should have listened to the proposal put forth by the mother of the slain Nurse. Abhist backed it even though it would leave him still charged with Murder.

Now we all know that even though she has a degree from some unheard of collage she is still not what one could conceivably call the brightest bulb in the box. But surely even she could see the wisdom of the proposal to leave the suspected ring leaders out of the amnesty.

Also that the army has sharp shooters. I think that is a fear of his. He dosen't have enough relatives to control every thing.

Defiantly could be wrong here but did not the Dems win a by election in the North.

If it was proposed in a government vetting committee by a member of the Government it is government related.

If She wanted reunification she should have listened to the proposal put forth by the mother of the slain Nurse. Abhist backed it even though it would leave him still charged with Murder.

Now we all know that even though she has a degree from some unheard of collage she is still not what one could conceivably call the brightest bulb in the box. But surely even she could see the wisdom of the proposal to leave the suspected ring leaders out of the amnesty.

Hi

Sorry to include all of your post, but I'm scared of what this iPad app will do to it if I try to edit it!

Just following up on your Dems by-election win. I just hope if there are elections in the future, that non-PTP speakers will be able to campaign in the North without being intimidated.

I'm not sure if KY's obsession with suppressing violent protest, only applies to protests against her government.

(Did I actually say that? TIT)