McDonalds is healthy?

yourauntbob

I am off today due to the holiday. We have the TV on TNN in the background as we (g/f and I) surf the web getting our daily fill of the news. My girlfriend starts laughing out of no where. When I ask why she is laughing she says "if you understood Thai better you would be laughing too." Why? "because the news is having a special report on McDonald's. they are talking about how McDonalds is having an event educating kids on healthy eating" at this i start to laugh cheesy.gif

i turn my attention to the TV and through what i see, my basic Thai, and some translation i am now shocked w00t.gif McDonald's is referring to their food. they are showing kids how their burgers and fries are made and stressing the health benefits of the deep fried, highly processed, dribble they sell. then Ms. auntbob asks a good question: "is this legal? can they really lie like this on TV and to all these people?" blink.png

i dont know exactly what was said, and i dont know what the laws in Thailand are regarding this but it does beg the question. i am pretty sure this would be laughed at back in the USA but i am worried some people are going to this event and actually believing what they are being told.

discuss.....

• Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They tried that in other countries schools also. Usually it was quickly terminated when the parents got upset.

As usual it is a question of money.....Give me a million and I sign that McDonalds deep fried french fries are healthy...

And sure it is healthy if you work at the polar area.

• Like 1

The only thing healthy about McDonalds, is the exercise your arm gets opening the front door of the shop.

Not defending them, but they also offer salads, chicken wraps, fruit stuff etc, they did a lot to add "healthy" stuff in order to omit lawsuits...

But of course, if you go there and order the tripple-doubled cheeseburger with large fries and a maxi coke... don't complain towards McDo that it might not be best for your health...

Fair enough, but I have not been in a fast food joint for 20 years and I won't change that now that they have the salads. The smell alone makes my stomach turn. And no, I am not a vegan and like a "real" burger once in a while.

• Like 1

I was just mentioning this morning to a mate about my sister wanting a salt packet to add MORE salt to her french fries and I blew a gasket.

The Clown, the Colonel and The King selling themselves as offering heathy food when obesity rates are soaring shame on them.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf

Depends on what healthy means to you. A doctor will tell you that if you are five foot eight and weigh 170 pounds you are obese.

I am 71 and all my internal organs are in good condition. the only exception is a large heart which I hgave had all my life. (I am a real nice guy). I have no problem admitting it I am over weight and I don't need a doctor to tell me that. I have arthritis and I have eaten a lot of fast food in my life.

Are you people trying to say arthritis is caused by fast food. McDonald's in my opinion salts their french fries just rite. Not sure why she would want to add salt to them. Sadly here in Thailand they don't have the cheese quarter pounder.

• Like 1

I was just mentioning this morning to a mate about my sister wanting a salt packet to add MORE salt to her french fries and I blew a gasket.

The Clown, the Colonel and The King selling themselves as offering heathy food when obesity rates are soaring shame on them.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf

What is a honey mustard wrap?

I went through the list every thing listed two or three times and stuff I never heard of.

but guess what not one single item with rice in it.

I should print the copy and go see how many of those yummy looking things they have that I never suspected.

Sometimes the BigMac is the healthiest choice in Thailand. blink.png

Considering some fried rice, oily with palm oil, or that all the time some of my staff has food poisoning from some cheapo food, I consider if maybe the McD is healthier.

But on the other side, considering the prices at McD, you could eat quality Thai Food and that would be better.

• Like 1

They can do what they like! They are pretty much untouchable. They are so in with governments that they are privy to building plans. You see Mc Donalds on Roads before anything else then housing estates or trading estates pop up after.

Turns out their salads arent so healthy after all!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-299653/McDonalds-salad-fatty-burger.html

• Like 1

Sometimes the BigMac is the healthiest choice in Thailand. blink.png

Considering some fried rice, oily with palm oil, or that all the time some of my staff has food poisoning from some cheapo food, I consider if maybe the McD is healthier.

But on the other side, considering the prices at McD, you could eat quality Thai Food and that would be better.

You're right of course, but once in a while I find myself in the middle of BKK at 2-3 AM and there are virtually no choices except of the street sellers and McD or Burg King... It's easy to make a choice then.

They can do what they like! They are pretty much untouchable. They are so in with governments that they are privy to building plans. You see Mc Donalds on Roads before anything else then housing estates or trading estates pop up after.

Turns out their salads arent so healthy after all!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-299653/McDonalds-salad-fatty-burger.html

As opposed to all the road side stands selling all sorts of stuff deep fried in palm oil? Selling deep fried squid, shrimp, sausages, doughnuts, stir fried "whatever", etc? I don't like McDonald's, but I also think these places are as much to blame????

McDonalds cops a bad rap, but I remember reading a study about a year ago which showed burger king and all those are just as bad...

worse yet, the fish and chip shop on the corner that also makes burgers... they are just as bad as maccas generally..

ive always laughed at people who bitch about McDonalds, but then go to the local fish and chip for a burger... worse yet are those that go to subway and order a meatball and cheese sub...

per the actual OP... thats poor form from maccas....

a few people have talked about how its not any worse than street food and the like and i agree. about 1 or 2 times a year i get a "big mac attack" and break down and get a combo. there is nothing wrong with the occasional trip there in my opinion.

i dont think they should be able to claim that their products are healthy any more than cigarette companies can/should. if people choose to eat there than that is their choice much like alcohol or tobacco.

Like it or not, McDonalds is about as healthy as a good amount of the market food that's sold in Thailand.

I'm sorry, but some "krapow moo sap" or "khao man gai" or "gaen kiaow wan" is not healthier than a Big Mac. If you want to be healthy here, you either eat at expensive restaurants, or cook for yourself at home.

More vegetables (fries), more meat and less cholestoral than most Thai food.

Or would you like deep fried chicken in it's skin deep fried with awful secondhand oils, served with fried white rice or rehydrated noodles that were dehydrated by deep frying them at the factory and no vegetables whatsoever.

Anyone fancy starting a Pret a Manger.

Now this is it.

Why, in this ghastly day and age of brutally fast convenience fed lifestyles can't someone build a fast food franchise that only sells really healthy food?

I think it's the future.

This place CHIC PUNJABI from INDIA is pretty healthy. The fried things are done in olive oil. Good Indian-Western fast foodish fusion flavors. Featuring grilled and fried (olive oil) chicken. It's an original concept and worth checking out.

post-37101-0-19255200-1382542348_thumb.j

The Pattaya location (first one in Thailand) is a bit north of the famous baht bus queue to Jomtien, west side of street.

The menu is different than the Indian website menus but some of the same things. They also have Indian rice dishes with dals, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chic-Punjabi/219226381499966

Edited by Jingthing

More vegetables (fries), more meat and less cholestoral than most Thai food.

Or would you like deep fried chicken in it's skin deep fried with awful secondhand oils, served with fried white rice or rehydrated noodles that were dehydrated by deep frying them at the factory and no vegetables whatsoever.

What I want when I am on the piss is, deep fat fried chicken skin in batter, with a nice nam prick.

Any suggestions as to where this food of the gawds can be found?