McDonalds is healthy?

yourauntbob

I was just mentioning this morning to a mate about my sister wanting a salt packet to add MORE salt to her french fries and I blew a gasket.

The Clown, the Colonel and The King selling themselves as offering heathy food when obesity rates are soaring shame on them.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf

Depends on what healthy means to you. A doctor will tell you that if you are five foot eight and weigh 170 pounds you are obese.

I am 71 and all my internal organs are in good condition. the only exception is a large heart which I hgave had all my life. (I am a real nice guy). I have no problem admitting it I am over weight and I don't need a doctor to tell me that. I have arthritis and I have eaten a lot of fast food in my life.

Are you people trying to say arthritis is caused by fast food. McDonald's in my opinion salts their french fries just rite. Not sure why she would want to add salt to them. Sadly here in Thailand they don't have the cheese quarter pounder.

I too, have a large heart. Doctors in Thailand have looked at chest xrays, then gone and fetched some more doctors to inspect it. At first I thought it was bad news but they said it's not a bad thing!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO competent DOCTOR will tell someone 5'9" 170 pounds that they are obese! (Rather -- overweight.)

There is a big controversy over the category of "overweight" though because that size is not NECESSARILY a health risk and in many cases such people are HEALTHIER than "normal weight" people. (Such as for survival rates after major medical traumas and of course famine situations which of course are not a problem for most of us these days.)

People often confuse the fashion aspect with the health aspect. An "overweight" person often won't fit into the modern standard of physical beauty and might have VANITY reasons to be normal weight but that is not the same thing as being unhealthy due to the overweight condition.

A small percentage of actual obese people are fit and healthy but the percentage is so small that it is reasonable to see obesity in general as a health risk.

In any case, nobody is suggesting overweight is a disease, but there has been movement to categorize obesity as a disease.

Yes, BMI is a flawed tool and there are better ways to calculate health risks by measuring fat percentage but we still get down to categories of morbid obesity, obesity, normal weight, underweight, etc.

Underweight category is also a health risk. Such people can die more easily from minor health problems that would be nothing for heavier people.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

Edited by Jingthing

I dont see the problem going away anytime soon and I think things are going to get worse in the future.

WIth so many meals eaten outside of home where people have no control over the ingredients which invariably have too much sugar, salt, bad oils it is not onlly weight that is a problem it is also all sorts of other medical conditions as well.

If you add the lack of exercise into the mix because people are leading very sedentary lives because of a computerised workforce, and the use of motor cars to get everywhere then it makes things even worse.

The irony of all of this is that there has never been so many fitness centres , books on diet, etc but still the situation is getting worse. What is the solution.

Firstly I dont think there is a one size fits all solution. You need to look at why someone is overweight. Is it the result of a medical condition like thyroid problem, digestive issues, liver problems, testosterone deficieny, hormonal imbalances etc if so it might be easier to fix the problem if you can find the underlying source of the medical problem.

Is it a result of another problem like alcohol addiction where the excess drinking is the root cause of the weight problem.

For some people it might just be an issue of things creeping up on them and making some adjustments to lifestyle and diet. They are probably the lucky ones.

Is it the result of emotional issues which I believe is one of the biggest culprits. In a society where addiction to something is the norm many people use food as an emotional crux. I believe this is one of the most difficult to resolve because it forces people to confront the emotional reasons for why they are over eating and really take stock of their whole lives.

Finally will power wont work where underlying emotional issues are not confronted or issues of self esteem are not addressed. That is why I believe many people are doomed to fail with their diets and exercise programs because these are all depedent on willpower and they are not addressing the underlying emotional issues.

• Like 1

I dont see the problem going away anytime soon and I think things are going to get worse in the future.

WIth so many meals eaten outside of home where people have no control over the ingredients which invariably have too much sugar, salt, bad oils it is not onlly weight that is a problem it is also all sorts of other medical conditions as well.

If you add the lack of exercise into the mix because people are leading very sedentary lives because of a computerised workforce, and the use of motor cars to get everywhere then it makes things even worse.

The irony of all of this is that there has never been so many fitness centres , books on diet, etc but still the situation is getting worse. What is the solution.

Firstly I dont think there is a one size fits all solution. You need to look at why someone is overweight. Is it the result of a medical condition like thyroid problem, digestive issues, liver problems, testosterone deficieny, hormonal imbalances etc if so it might be easier to fix the problem if you can find the underlying source of the medical problem.

Is it a result of another problem like alcohol addiction where the excess drinking is the root cause of the weight problem.

For some people it might just be an issue of things creeping up on them and making some adjustments to lifestyle and diet. They are probably the lucky ones.

Is it the result of emotional issues which I believe is one of the biggest culprits. In a society where addiction to something is the norm many people use food as an emotional crux. I believe this is one of the most difficult to resolve because it forces people to confront the emotional reasons for why they are over eating and really take stock of their whole lives.

Finally will power wont work where underlying emotional issues are not confronted or issues of self esteem are not addressed. That is why I believe many people are doomed to fail with their diets and exercise programs because these are all depedent on willpower and they are not addressing the underlying emotional issues.

Yes its a big irony that there are so many gyms and still people don't get enough exercise. Though I think you will be hard pressed to do in a gym what someone does with manual labor (on a day base). So a gym is a tool but not a cure all you would have to spend most of your life in a gym. So you have to limit your food and eat the right stuff plus exercise. It will help.

But like you said get underlying stuff checked out first and start with that and then do what you need to loose the weight.

I would like to ask a few obese people to HONESTLY post the list of foods they have had in the past week, not even the quantities of foods, just the list. I'm sure the answer will be right there...

JT, you keep blaming the food industries, I agree there're a lot of junk food manufacturers out there, but you know what? No one if pushing doughnuts down my throat. Choices are out there, choose wisely. You and only you have the power to chose what and how much to consume.

attachicon.gifLife.jpg

The attached BFFM file was my bible during that year I mentioned earlier. I didn't follow its every advice, like I said I didn't bother weighting up foods' ingredients, I didn't bother eating 6 smaller meals instead of my regular 3 meals, there are many points in there we can have dozens pages of debates about... What it did is help me make right food choices, which, combined with lots of exercise, made me the way I am today, not just physically but it gave me the right mentality to eat right, I don't need to think anymore about what to eat, it's all in my subconscious mind now.

This is a tool, up to you guys if you want to use it or not.

I'm out of here, this topic is going nowhere...

I know that book read it too helped me a lot. I don't agree with everything but you learn a lot of the basics from it.

• Like 1

Yes and modern society's bigoted attitudes towards the fat and the general intolerance, ignorance of the health aspects, and negative associations towards even the moderately "overweight" certainly increases the chances that a fat person will become MORE depressed. Studies have shown that even many doctors, who should know better, treat their fat patients with disdain, unfairly judging the totality of their moral character based on their appearance.

Some more on the specious moralistic "fat people who haven't managed to become normal weight are weak" message that basically does NOT help fat people but serves to further stigmatize them. This simple minded morality based way of thinking is of course very common and popular, but that does not make it CORRECT,

This sort of attitude to willpower is exemplified in coverage of a recent Cancer UK press release. It was reported that "two-thirds of overweight people know they are at increased risk of cancer but don't have the willpower to lose weight."

And so the myth is perpetuated: you are overweight because you lack willpower.

Not only is this incorrect, but it feeds into more sinister narratives about willpower being related to moral fibre and that people who lack willpower are simply "greedy".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-khandee-ahnaimugan/obesity-crisis-stop-blaming-lack-of-will_b_1625514.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

That is interesting re Krispy Kreme and Canada. When they first opened in Sydney you could see people at the airport carrying boxes onto planes going to places without the stores. Now I don't think there are any shops left in Australia but I could be wrong. MacDonalds has been shamed into introducing some healthier options in many counties but not Thailand. Vietnam has it's first store....owned by the son of the PM

T

quote name="ToddWeston" post="6966695" timestamp="1382788243"]

Still in Australia. Melbourne Airport, Sydney Airport, near Spencer Street station and a bunch in Queensland.

That is interesting re Krispy Kreme and Canada. When they first opened in Sydney you could see people at the airport carrying boxes onto planes going to places without the stores. Now I don't think there are any shops left in Australia but I could be wrong. MacDonalds has been shamed into introducing some healthier options in many counties but not Thailand. Vietnam has it's first store....owned by the son of the PM

T

Still in Australia. Melbourne Airport, Sydney Airport, near Spencer Street station and a bunch in Queensland.

There is no shame in any food. People eat what they want. McD's do not hypnotise folk when they walk in the door do they. My wife eats bugs. Her decision.

• Like 1

T

There is no shame in any food. People eat what they want. McD's do not hypnotise folk when they walk in the door do they. My wife eats bugs. Her decision.

I was going to go to BurgerKing for lunch at the airport, but remembering this thread I decided to go to the foodcourt, and had chicken curry and rice noodles. It was fowl.

SC

• Like 1

T

I was going to go to BurgerKing for lunch at the airport, but remembering this thread I decided to go to the foodcourt, and had chicken curry and rice noodles. It was fowl.

SC

Oddly I was thinking about a Whopper with cheese today cos where I am there is nooooooooo BK. sad.png

T

I was going to go to BurgerKing for lunch at the airport, but remembering this thread I decided to go to the foodcourt, and had chicken curry and rice noodles.  It was fowl.

SC

The last chicken curry I ate I said to the chef the chicken was rubbery! The chef replied 'thank you very much'

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thai

• Like 1

Now this is it.

Why, in this ghastly day and age of brutally fast convenience fed lifestyles can't someone build a fast food franchise that only sells really healthy food?

I think it's the future.

Subway? If you don;t like calories. then eat less. Better still, don't eat, and my queue will be shorter. I like Koshinoya as well, especially their miso soup.

Subway (rot fai tai din) that why I take the BTS (rot fia fa) these days, the queues are much shorter.

Personally I prefer minestrone soup, or mulligatawny.

I've got a tin of white haddock soup to look forward to for my lunch today. I can't be bothered with the clear dishwater that Chinese restaurants pass off as soup. I do miss my Taiwanese beef noodle soup, though.

What I like about the rot fai fa is that they just keep trains running. They don't try to be big or clever, they just run the trains. And they still manage continuous improvement, with the new linkways, and so forth. Are the platform gates installed at Siam yet?

Personally, I think that McDonalds appeals to a universal "lowest common denominator" in terms of taste, which is why it is so sucessful in foreign cultures, and so popular with children. Also, they have outstanding quality management that delivers a remarkably consistent product throughout the world. Hats off to them I say, for running a successful and efficient business, and delivering a product that people want to buy.

SC

Don't know about here but in Canada when my ex was working for them she took the night shift. After they closed down in those days at 11:00 she would clean the kitchen. Every thing was on wheels and could be moved out for a daily cleaning. McDonald's had a reputation as an employer that had a good training system and it looked good on a work history.

As for blaming them for all the obesity in Thailand It boggles my mind how people can over look the fact that today's kids do very little physically just play electronic games or communicate with there 100s of friends on face book. Even walking down the street they have a phone stuck to there ear. Have no idea of what Thai games are but I bet a phone in one hand holding it to your ear makes it a lot less physical.

Wake up people extra weight is going to happen when you live a life like that. You know it is like 2+2=4

• Like 1

Yes and modern society's bigoted attitudes towards the fat and the general intolerance, ignorance of the health aspects, and negative associations towards even the moderately "overweight" certainly increases the chances that a fat person will become MORE depressed. Studies have shown that even many doctors, who should know better, treat their fat patients with disdain, unfairly judging the totality of their moral character based on their appearance.

Some more on the specious moralistic "fat people who haven't managed to become normal weight are weak" message that basically does NOT help fat people but serves to further stigmatize them. This simple minded morality based way of thinking is of course very common and popular, but that does not make it CORRECT,

This sort of attitude to willpower is exemplified in coverage of a recent Cancer UK press release. It was reported that "two-thirds of overweight people know they are at increased risk of cancer but don't have the willpower to lose weight."

And so the myth is perpetuated: you are overweight because you lack willpower.

Not only is this incorrect, but it feeds into more sinister narratives about willpower being related to moral fibre and that people who lack willpower are simply "greedy".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/dr-khandee-ahnaimugan/obesity-crisis-stop-blaming-lack-of-will_b_1625514.html

I believe that science says a little overweight is good for you. Can't swear to that.

But I can swear that if I was at the weight they say I should be I would be nothing but skin and bone. I have a large bone structure.

As an after thought I wonder how many of these people posting against over weight are swayed by the next door to anorexia models?

Much like the advertizing that tries to get Thai women to lighten there color.

I was just mentioning this morning to a mate about my sister wanting a salt packet to add MORE salt to her french fries and I blew a gasket.

The Clown, the Colonel and The King selling themselves as offering heathy food when obesity rates are soaring shame on them.

Depends on what healthy means to you. A doctor will tell you that if you are five foot eight and weigh 170 pounds you are obese.

I am 71 and all my internal organs are in good condition. the only exception is a large heart which I have had all my life. (I am a real nice guy). I have no problem admitting it I am over weight and I don't need a doctor to tell me that. I have arthritis and I have eaten a lot of fast food in my life.

Are you people trying to say arthritis is caused by fast food. McDonald's in my opinion salts their french fries just rite. Not sure why she would want to add salt to them. Sadly here in Thailand they don't have the cheese quarter pounder.

What is a honey mustard wrap?

I went through the list every thing listed two or three times and stuff I never heard of.

but guess what not one single item with rice in it.

I should print the copy and go see how many of those yummy looking things they have that I never suspected.

Interesting two perfectly honest statements that get no response because they will not support the McDonald's is not healthy belief they hold.

This post is best adhered to the post "I know no why Thais are so thin". The answer would be, of course, before westerners came to this country, we had natural lives.

All western corporations including McDonalds, Starbucks, etc., should be expelled from Asia.

Just leave all the electronics so you can play with them. Expel what you personally dislike and keep the stuff that allows the Thais to live a less physical life just like yours.

This post is best adhered to the post "I know no why Thais are so thin". The answer would be, of course, before westerners came to this country, we had natural lives.

All western corporations including McDonalds, Starbucks, etc., should be expelled from Asia.

I guess you're hankering for the Greater Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere. Or do you want to go back to the paddies walking behind a buffalo?

• Like 1

I wonder if you ever saw all the unhealthy deep fried Thai snacks that are for sale. They are not much better as Mc Donalds.

It is fast food that is not good.. no matter how you label it.

• Like 2

Just found that Nazi Germany created Fanta drink, they just didn't have resource during the war and used "leftovers of leftovers" to create new drink. Though the original recipe is not used but that in general what Mcdonalds likes to build their business on.