The use of 'man'

mortenaa

In another thread on this forum, the use of the word "man" came up. Or 'it' in English.

Check out the following post on a popular social website:

นึกว่า มัน จะ ซื้อของ ให้ ใคร ไม่ เป็น แค่ ไม่กี่ หมื่น ก็ บ่น ซะ แต่ ยังไง ก็ ขอบคุณ น่ะ

néuk wâa man jà séu kŏng hâi krai mâi bpen · kâe mâi gèe mèun gôr bòn sá · dtàe yang ngai gôr · kòp kun nâ

A picture of the gift is attached, with a Thank you.

A friend came to me and reacted the way my GF referred to me. My GF says the way she used it, is not impolite. I don't really care, coz we always joke around, calling each other Goo,Mung, Eeee bah etc.

But on a language perspective, is interesting to hear other peoples opinion.

What do you think?

It " มัน " is used to address inanimate objects, animals and to talk about inferiors in a degrading manner.. It can and is also used when talking of young children in a non derogatory manner. If my g/f could me that it would be the end of the relationship.

กู and มึง are usually used amongst only the closest of piers. And generally only amongst those deemed to be in the lower classes of society. Rael bar girl talk indeed. Once again I would be p'd off if it was used as a form of address to myself. Nor do I use these two words for addressing others.

กู and มึง are usually used amongst only the closest of piers. And generally only amongst those deemed to be in the lower classes of society. Rael bar girl talk indeed.

I'll be sure to tell the middle managers of banks and upscale hotels I hear using these words with their close friends that they are deemed to be in the lower classes of society. ;)

Context is everything, so, to clarify, I have so far not heard anyone use this type of language with a wife or husband, and obviously the academics/office people I talk about would not use that kind of language in a front office work situation.

It's a bit complicated with มึง & กู as well. For example, my parents use มึงกู when they speak with each other.

It's also common for siblings to use this.

And of course close friends always use this with each other. I use มึงกู with all my male friends.

Also, many old people use it with anyone without being in any degrading way.

I've also heard some senior monks use มึงกู when they speak to laymen.

But these are exceptions. For you farangs, it's best to not really use these words to be on the safe side.

กู and มึง are usually used amongst only the closest of piers. And generally only amongst those deemed to be in the lower classes of society. Rael bar girl talk indeed.

I'll be sure to tell the middle managers of banks and upscale hotels I hear using these words with their close friends that they are deemed to be in the lower classes of society. wink.png

Context is everything, so, to clarify, I have so far not heard anyone use this type of language with a wife or husband, and obviously the academics/office people I talk about would not use that kind of language in a front office work situation.

Close friends / piers same thing dude hey!They would fall into that catagory. Not the lower classes of society catagory. wink.png