Thai airports to raise passenger service charge

webfact

Thai airports to raise passenger service charge
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Passengers at six international airports will have to shoulder a higher airport tax, as the airport operator is raising the rate to reflect the actual operating cost.

Sita Divari, chairman of Airports of Thailand which operates the six airports including Suvarnabhumi Airport, said the AOT’s board of directors Thursday approved the increase.

The passenger service charge (PSC) for domestic travellers will be doubled from Bt100 to Bt200. Meanwhile, international travellers’ PSC will be raised from Bt700 to Bt800.

The PSC was last adjusted in 2011.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-24

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AOT anticipates increase in passenger numbers
The Nation

30217890-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The number of passengers travelling through Airports of Thailand's airports is expected to increase by 6-7 per cent next year.

AOT Chairman Sita Divari anticipated the increase in light of continued positive sentiment, particularly during high tourism seasons.

In June, AOT expected the number of passengers through its six international airports to rise to 85 million this year, an increase by 13.5 million or 19 per cent from last year.

The company operates six international airports. Aside from Suvarnabhumi, the others are Don Mueang, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Hat Yai and Phuket.

Suvarnabhumi is now expanding its capacity. For the second phase development, Sita said that the company would not raise capital or issue debentures to finance the investment.

He said that AOT is now sitting on some Bt38 billion in cash. The rest could be balanced by the company’s profits in the 2014-2015 fiscal years.

Today, AOT’s board of directors approved the increase in passenger service charges (PSC) for domestic and international travellers using service at its six airports.

Sita Divari, chairman of Airports of Thailand which operates the six airports including Suvarnabhumi Airport, said this adjustment is in line with the actual operating cost. AOT now pays Bt336 per domestic traveller, he said. Moreover, the higher PSC would also allow AOT to accomplish its vision to operate "the world’s smartest airports".

The passenger service charge for domestic travellers will be doubled from Bt100 to Bt200. Meanwhile, international travellers’ PSC will be raised from Bt700 to Bt800.

The PSC was last adjusted in 2011.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-24

600 baht to some Thais is 2 days pay ! Could you imagine the reaction if they charged the average tourust the equivalent of 2 days of their pay ?

A Thai can't be a tourist??? Thais pay the majority of PSC fee payments as tourists, domestic or international.

The domestic PSC fee is proposed to increase by 100% whereas the international only by less than 15% which is more in line with inflation. Last year, the AOT first proposed an int PSC fee increase to 1000 baht so this looks more reasonable

"The PSC was last adjusted in 2011." This seems to be incorrect as I seem to recollect that the last PSC increase was back in 06/07 when it went from 500 to 700 for the international fee. The domestic fee used to be 50 baht many years ago but I can't recollect when it increased to 100.

Basically, one less coffee or an ARL ride instead of a taxi will make up for the fee increase.

• Like 2

Thailand just becomes a bigger and bigger ripoff of everyone who comes here. The greed that governs this country is gone wild.

Yeah its gone up a whole 100 Baht where will it end cheesy.gif

Look at it as a %age

100% of bugger all is...?

The UK passenger service charge for Bangok-bound pax is maybe around 25000 baht now?

600 baht to some Thais is 2 days pay ! Could you imagine the reaction if they charged the average tourust the equivalent of 2 days of their pay ?

A Thai can't be a tourist??? Thais pay the majority of PSC fee payments as tourists, domestic or international.

The domestic PSC fee is proposed to increase by 100% whereas the international only by less than 15% which is more in line with inflation. Last year, the AOT first proposed an int PSC fee increase to 1000 baht so this looks more reasonable

"The PSC was last adjusted in 2011." This seems to be incorrect as I seem to recollect that the last PSC increase was back in 06/07 when it went from 500 to 700 for the international fee.

That's what I remember too so the 100Bt increase is actually equivalent to about a 3% per annum increase.

Wish I was a millionaire 2 week or otherwise, you can look at % if you wish but it comes down to 100 Baht, I live here, I'm not a tourist and Its still a hell of a lot cheaper than the UK and that includes their airport taxes.

Of course those tourists on a budget will take it into account but the final choice is always theirs ...not forgetting those who complain about everything....Freedom of choice you gotta love it!!

But we are not in the UK, we are in Thailand. Tourisim is relatively more important to the Thai economy than it is too the UK economy.

Why is voicing an opinion "complaining about every thing?" Is it inherently wrong to disagree or must we insist every thing Thai is perfect, and beyond improvement?

Most Thais know the value of money and 600 baht is a big deal to them (100 baht airport increase + 500 baht proposed entry fee.)

But I do see why the authorities jack up the prices- most foreigners support higher prices and label all who disagree as Thai bashers.

Beam me up :)

Again? Let me hold the transporter door open for you...

• Like 2

Thailand just becomes a bigger and bigger ripoff of everyone who comes here. The greed that governs this country is gone wild.

Yeah its gone up a whole 100 Baht where will it end cheesy.gif

Look at it as a %age

100% of bugger all is...?

The UK passenger service charge for Bangok-bound pax is maybe around 25000 baht now?

My tax and fees on coming over here last were nearly $800!!

I learned very early in life not to worry or concern myself with things I have no control over, lends itself to a stress free existence.

That's just as bad as saying 'mai pen rai' to everything. Sounds like a Thai 'apathetic' attitude. And that's one reason why it's still an undeveloped country. Not assertive or proactive at all...except when it comes to grabbing money from 'foreigners'.

Edited by mochafan
  • Like 2

I learned very early in life not to worry or concern myself with things I have no control over, lends itself to a stress free existence.

That's just as bad as saying 'mai pen rai' to everything. Sounds like a Thai 'apathetic' attitude. And that's one reason why it's still an undeveloped country. Not assertive or proactive at all...except when it comes to grabbing money from 'foreigners'.

I think you missed the 'things I have no control over' bit.

• Like 2