Thai airports to raise passenger service charge

webfact

Usually come to Thailand for a month each year and spend about $5,000. This year giving it a miss, too many price hikes, sick of the ATM fee, locking in the savings and holidaying local. So I guess they can forecast not getting another 100B out of me :)

• Like 1

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little confused ? Are these airport taxes already in place ? And if so are they already included in the ticket price as I have been in and out of Suvarnabhumi, three times the last month and I've not had to pay any hard cash.

There is already a fee in place which is included in your ticket it is currently 700B, they want to increase it to 800.

Many years ago you had to pay this separate but they changed things about 7-8 years ago to include in your ticket.

Other airports in the region still collect this fee as you leave.

I learned very early in life not to worry or concern myself with things I have no control over, lends itself to a stress free existence.

That's just as bad as saying 'mai pen rai' to everything. Sounds like a Thai 'apathetic' attitude. And that's one reason why it's still an undeveloped country. Not assertive or proactive at all...except when it comes to grabbing money from 'foreigners'.

If you are writing about a tax increase,it is on everybody,not just foreigners.Bit paranoid mate.Mai pen rai khrap.

• Like 2

Forget about this charge.

Its about Thailand as a whole.

i dont know why people keep comparing it with US and Uk, it is niether of these countries, its Thailand end of !!

When I came to live here 9 years ago, it was cheap, and I used to compare it with the UK, but I stopped doing that a while ago.

I live in Thailand, so I do everything by the Baht, not the pound or dollar.

And Thailand has become a rather expensive place to live now,.

It is a great place to live, and if I were asked would I consider living elswhere, the answer would definately be YES,

In fact I am on the look out now. Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar. All so much cheaper than here.

Do not say that these countries can not compare to Thailand especialy the infrestrure, because I first holidayed in Thailand 25 years ago, and it was the same then, when I go to these other countries, I notice that I am spending about a third less, and getting all I want.

A bit like Thailand was all those years ago.

So in a nutshell it has become a rather expensive place, compared to its neighbours.

This is my point ..THINK in the Currency of which you Reside , Dont constantly Convert to Pounds / AUD / US $$ ,

Expats need to understand the value of the Barht , and understand what 100 Barht atually purchases .

Nothing annoys me more than hearing Some Aussie ..say , Its just $6 ..Its Not ! the 6$ is irrelevant , thats an exchange Rate .

Its 200 Barht , thats what it is , and that is What is Important .

Common sense , understand true value , not some Farang Tourist Tax .

Interesting way the Thais are thinking. Prevalent economic thinking is, if the numbers (of Tourist in this case) go up you would not consider raising the price because the increased numbers will bring you more "turnover". In Thailand, it's the opposite, if the numbers go up heck, lets milk the cow and raise prices. Unfortunately, in the future, Thailand will suffer from reduced number of tourist.

AOT anticipates increase in passenger numbers
The Nation

30217890-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The number of passengers travelling through Airports of Thailand's airports is expected to increase by 6-7 per cent next year.

AOT Chairman Sita Divari anticipated the increase in light of continued positive sentiment, particularly during high tourism seasons.

In June, AOT expected the number of passengers through its six international airports to rise to 85 million this year, an increase by 13.5 million or 19 per cent from last year.

The company operates six international airports. Aside from Suvarnabhumi, the others are Don Mueang, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Hat Yai and Phuket.

Suvarnabhumi is now expanding its capacity. For the second phase development, Sita said that the company would not raise capital or issue debentures to finance the investment.

He said that AOT is now sitting on some Bt38 billion in cash. The rest could be balanced by the company’s profits in the 2014-2015 fiscal years.

Today, AOT’s board of directors approved the increase in passenger service charges (PSC) for domestic and international travellers using service at its six airports.

Sita Divari, chairman of Airports of Thailand which operates the six airports including Suvarnabhumi Airport, said this adjustment is in line with the actual operating cost. AOT now pays Bt336 per domestic traveller, he said. Moreover, the higher PSC would also allow AOT to accomplish its vision to operate "the world’s smartest airports".

The passenger service charge for domestic travellers will be doubled from Bt100 to Bt200. Meanwhile, international travellers’ PSC will be raised from Bt700 to Bt800.

The PSC was last adjusted in 2011.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-24

The PSC in the UK ranges from £13 to £188 depending on distance and class of travel so 800bt seems quite a bargain.

But the UK is not competing with Thailand for visitors; Thailand is competing with countries like Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, the Philippines and now Myanmar.

and you think it will make a difference ... get real. Would 100 Baht stop you coming?

Get it right the 100 baht is domestic not international.

Interesting way the Thais are thinking. Prevalent economic thinking is, if the numbers (of Tourist in this case) go up you would not consider raising the price because the increased numbers will bring you more "turnover". In Thailand, it's the opposite, if the numbers go up heck, lets milk the cow and raise prices. Unfortunately, in the future, Thailand will suffer from reduced number of tourist.

Look up the term 'elasticity of demand' and then come back with a more educated post.

Thailand just becomes a bigger and bigger ripoff of everyone who comes here. The greed that governs this country is gone wild.

Yeah its gone up a whole 100 Baht where will it end cheesy.gif

Yes that might be funny to you, but an increase of 14% in 3 years where the inflation rate is very low, is just a ripoff. The airports make billions from the shops and restaurants already.

Check first the service charges on other airports,like Australia,Singapore,London and then complain.

They are even higher.

Last time I checked they were also no third world countries.

Last time I checked Thailand was not a third world country and if you still believe it is you probably don't live in the same Thailand as me.

Thailand just becomes a bigger and bigger ripoff of everyone who comes here. The greed that governs this country is gone wild.

Look at it as a %age

The UK passenger service charge for Bangok-bound pax is maybe around 25000 baht now?

My tax and fees on coming over here last were nearly $800!!

Yeah the English practically invented money-grubbing and we Aussies are not far behind - taxes, parking and other fees at Melbourne Airport (which is really 3rd world class) make the Thai charges look insignificant. And look how much better the airport here is than any airport in Australia. I can get the airport link and skytrain home for less than $3 or a taxi for around $10. In Melbourne the cab is about $75 and even the bus is way more than $10.

Sure Thailand is becoming more expensive, and as everywhere greed is an element, but it is also becoming much more developed and you get what you pay for and still better value here than anywhere in the West. For true third world value there are plenty of alternatives to Thailand.

Edited by mbeau
  • Like 2

The two week millionaires love to brag "100 baht means nothing to me"

As another poster pointed out the 100 baht increase along with the proposed 500 baht "Medical Fee (whatever) is about an 86% increase in fees.

Amazing Thailand, the more expensive the place becomes, the more people gush about how cheap it is.

And the more visitors eager to visit.

Ah heck, why not: raise prices, beat them up and they will come whistling.gif

Beam me up Scotty...

What is with this 2 week millionaires stuff? I am a frequent 5 - 8 week visitor (millionaire); you might be a resident for a limited period of time. This sounds like the moaning of those who make a choice to live in Thai and then complain about everything. You run your life and I'll look after mine. By the way, this stuff has only crept in over the last few years. I didn't hear it for the first 30 or so years that I visited.

• Like 2

Does this mean when you fly into bkk now that you might actually get to USE one of the jetways sitting vacant rather than walk down steps to board a crowded bouncy bus to take you to the terminal? If the fees to use a jetway are so high that it is cheaper for airlines to buy and run buses then maybe the jetway fees need to be looked at?

I thought the last of the jetway avoiders left when AirAsia buggered off to DMK.

What cheap-arsed airline are you flying with these days?

I flew Thai last month out and in both times bussed to and from the plane. As I rememeber two month previous was the same. And this is the national carrier.

Thai a cheap-arsed airline? Go figure.

I too get fed up with the number of times I take a bus-gate instead of an air-gate (about 50% of flights recently, none of them budget).

I was out drinking with a Thai friend a few months back. One of his freinds had something to do with the Planning at the airport. I quizzed him about the lack of Air-gate transfers complaining that many of my flights (Etihad, Thai, Singapore Airlines etc) have used buses for airside transport.

His response: Many of the Operators have a gate booked - Thus upon arrival or departure the many free gates that look available will be utilised within the next few hours for arriving planes (I'm guessing that a plane takes up about 4 hours of gate time).

I suspect a bit of pisspoor planning also comes into it, as may the Kraeng-jai factor where a boss outlines a flawed plan and everyone else to too frightened to offer a counter suggestion or improvement.

As to the 100B increase - I don't see it as a big deal - like anywhere else costs increase and services improve. I just hope that the services improve and the additional revenue doesn't get syphoned off.

As to the suggested 500B insurance scheme - I also agree with that. Tourists without insurance are a burden. If you already have medical insurance then I see no need to pay this and don't think it will be charged. In short, you really shouldn't in country without adequate medical coverage (but this is off topic anyway).

Even the Australian high priced fees could not save me from "Cattle Bus"-- 2 trips to Bangkok from N.Z this year-- got "Herded" both- times both ways--and I was Flying Qantas--Ok In N.Z and Bangkok--just at the Qantas 'Home Base'---Sydney post-4641-1156694606.gif

I learned very early in life not to worry or concern myself with things I have no control over, lends itself to a stress free existence.

Back in the 30's, I wonder how many Germans came to roughly the same conclusion. It IS a fine rationalization for apathy, isn't it?

Get a life mate,piss poor comparison.If you can't differentiate between lifes problems you will lead a stressful life.Mai pen rai khrap,

• Like 1

So because they want to pay cash rather than run up debt you figure they are greedy.

Is that why you moved here to be amongst greedy people. Just one of the crowd so to speak.

The raise of the passenger tax from the AOT is a ripoff.

100 baht increase x 60 million passengers / year = 6 billion baht extra revenues. Where will the money go?

Of course now that the passenger tax is included in the ticket, any increase (500 to 700 and now 800 baht) is less obvious to passengers.

Usually come to Thailand for a month each year and spend about $5,000. This year giving it a miss, too many price hikes, sick of the ATM fee, locking in the savings and holidaying local. So I guess they can forecast not getting another 100B out of me smile.png

5555.Spending $5000+$1000 airfare in a month and 100 baht and a few unnecessary atm fee is the dealbreaker!!!.Enjoy your local holiday,you will be spending more on a similiar holiday but i'm sure you know best.

• Like 1

As another poster pointed out the 100 baht increase along with the proposed 500 baht "Medical Fee (whatever) is about an 86% increase in fees.

Amazing Thailand, the more expensive the place becomes, the more people gush about how cheap it is.

Beam me up Scotty...

Easy to run off at the mouth about more money,

Now would you care to explain the services you get for that money. Medical insurance and an upgrade on the airport.

Forget about this charge.

Its about Thailand as a whole.

i dont know why people keep comparing it with US and Uk, it is niether of these countries, its Thailand end of !!

When I came to live here 9 years ago, it was cheap, and I used to compare it with the UK, but I stopped doing that a while ago.

I live in Thailand, so I do everything by the Baht, not the pound or dollar.

And Thailand has become a rather expensive place to live now,.

It is a great place to live, and if I were asked would I consider living elswhere, the answer would definately be YES,

In fact I am on the look out now. Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar. All so much cheaper than here.

Do not say that these countries can not compare to Thailand especialy the infrestrure, because I first holidayed in Thailand 25 years ago, and it was the same then, when I go to these other countries, I notice that I am spending about a third less, and getting all I want.

A bit like Thailand was all those years ago.

So in a nutshell it has become a rather expensive place, compared to its neighbours.

This is my point ..THINK in the Currency of which you Reside , Dont constantly Convert to Pounds / AUD / US $$ ,

Expats need to understand the value of the Barht , and understand what 100 Barht atually purchases .

Nothing annoys me more than hearing Some Aussie ..say , Its just $6 ..Its Not ! the 6$ is irrelevant , thats an exchange Rate .

Its 200 Barht , thats what it is , and that is What is Important .

Common sense , understand true value , not some Farang Tourist Tax .

It's not a farang tourist tax,it is a tax on all plane travellers. Don't you rekon Thai's fly.

• Like 2

Check first the service charges on other airports,like Australia,Singapore,London and then complain.

They are even higher.

Last time I checked they were also no third world countries.

Last time I checked Thailand was not a third world country and if you still believe it is you probably don't live in the same Thailand as me.

Yes we are in the stream of LIfe...being able to bend in the wind..not break in half..ending a life of growth...like bamboo it's stock is not straight grain but grows 90 degrees for short period and then continues straight... we are foriegnier from America do not see the full view of life (that is why I left..some have followed me but ya must release the Western way and judgement)

I have been in the fire of hell...realized my state...and changed..it was not easy nor hard it was just what I had to go through...so take time..unplug yourself to news media..or this forum of chat...thaivisa ...and go for a walk..in a busy street or temple...see if you can see yourself apart from the masses...I bet you can...see if you can hold this moment..it will pass but as long as you seen the light...the soul has experienced this awareness...now seek that feeling of being YOU not the foreignier judging the way things are in life...death and taxes...all will come...all have been PRIOR to you existance...so what is your problem?

I leave you in peace and peace be with you...always...Mr. Ron

Usually come to Thailand for a month each year and spend about $5,000. This year giving it a miss, too many price hikes, sick of the ATM fee, locking in the savings and holidaying local. So I guess they can forecast not getting another 100B out of me smile.png

5555.Spending $5000+$1000 airfare in a month and 100 baht and a few unnecessary atm fee is the dealbreaker!!!.Enjoy your local holiday,you will be spending more on a similiar holiday but i'm sure you know best.

If I was just coming for a month I would bring cash with me and maybe use the ATM twice maximum cost $10 unless you find an AEION ATM then that fee is gone. I think if the price of bar girls was the only increased price he had to pay he would still come. Does any one know what

"locking in the savings and holidaying local." means.

Is it he is not going to holiday and just stay at home so he can save 400 baht?

• Like 1

Greed ? Rip Off ?............some people really need to live in the real world. An increase of 100 bht ? Not exactly what I would call a huge hike in overall cost of a flight. Bangkok Airport must be one of the cheapest airports in the world(and I have been to a quite a few) for a cup of coffee and food in general (if you know wher to go in the airport). Some people are so negative on this site and again I ask myself if they appear to despise Thailand so much.................why are you here ??

• Like 1

Beam me up Scotty...

What is with this 2 week millionaires stuff? I am a frequent 5 - 8 week visitor (millionaire); you might be a resident for a limited period of time. This sounds like the moaning of those who make a choice to live in Thai and then complain about everything. You run your life and I'll look after mine. By the way, this stuff has only crept in over the last few years. I didn't hear it for the first 30 or so years that I visited.

Most expats are recent arrivals and only came here for a few pro's(as in pro's and con's).People who have been coming here for 30+ years have grown with the country and have a lot better understanding of where they are living and how to live.Remember mate,there as no internet 20-30 years ago so you didn't hear so much whinging.Also lookout,the babyboomers are coming,as they can't afford their own countries.

Airlines just need to shitcan their fuel surcharges and this 100 baht rise becomes irrelevant... Not that 100 is relevant, especially given the TAT's penchant for "quality tourists"

Let them eat cake!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app