Questioned at Suvarnabhumi Airport RE: My Tourist Status, Is this common? Anyone been refused entry?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I ask how you present at the airport? Are you dressed respectfully? Is your demeanor respectable?

That is the basis on which politicians and bankers can rob the world without consequences.

Border check is no different, slickness wins over honesty.

For the record, I have been traveling back and forth to Thailand for now going on 4 years. I go home every summer (to see my kids and to have a real steak). I have done this on Tourist Visas (single though usually double visas issued in either the US or in Laos. I have done many a Visa Run to the usual places and only once been stopped at a ground entry point. The chat lasted 2 minutes, and I was told that I really should get the right Visa. When I explained to them that I did not want to put money into a Thai bank for 2 - 3 months for a Retirement class Visa and that said money would earn more if I left as an investment in the Market (I spent the next 15 minutes explaining how the officer could do the same thing, to which he thanked me for the advise, and actually shook my hand as if I had just come up with a cure for Cancer). I have worked here as well, though not planned, at a Government Hospital and never once did they get me a Work Permit though I was on their payroll for 6 months and received a commendation for said work from the Ministry of Health. Why I have told you this is simply because "There are the way things are supposed to work and then there are the ways that things actually work". It is far from logical or seem to always follow the rules, but that is Thailand (as with many other countries for that matter, especially in South East Asia). One just has to live with it, go nuts, get an ulcer, start drinking, or move back home.

One: A visa into Thailand does NOT mean that you will get in. This also applies to getting an extension on a current visa. It is up to the "discretion of the immigration officer" at the time/port of entry.

Two: Airlines are not immigration officers. They will simply check that you have the required visa... sometimes... though hardly ever!. I have actually been asked to sign a document removing the airline (China Air in my case) from any responsibility.

Three: Possible questioning at the time of entry is up to the officer involved. They have the right and the power to "grill you". So you should, if you are planning to stay in Thailand for extended periods of time (no matter what the reason or time line) obtain the correct visa no matter what. Though the law is clear that you can come and go as often as you wish (causing the proverbial Visa Run) abusing that capability will just at some point get you in the eye of a overly self-important immigration officer looking for that extra 'stripe'.

Four: Interviews at the point of entry are not common in Thailand, but do serve a purpose and immigration is within their rights to preform said interviews. Just be calm and respectful at all times.

Five: As a Westerner, remember that you have no 'real' rights in Thailand. You are looked at far differently than someone of say, Asian descent.

Six: As for the cost of living here in Thai verses North America, or Europe... Thai Immigration here does not understand the reality of said difference most of the time. It has been my experience at the Airport to be asked "how can you afford so much time here without working?" and I am ready for that question with certain additional documentation (see below).

Seven: The law is, unless you present the immigration officer with false documents, have a criminal record, wanted anywhere for anything major (that they understand), on a Watch or some other List, or simply look like you are a bum (so dress nice and have had a shower), or you present them with an attitude of a combative nature, drunk, high, or just a ass h*le... they cannot deport you. Yes, they may hold you for questioning... but in the end they will let you go on your way.

Eight: So remove any idea of confrontation from your mind when dealing with any Thai on any subject. It will not get you anywhere except, in this case, a flight home.

Nine: Remember that we are guests in this country and as such we have to mind ourselves and the way which we do things. The system may not be fair, but it is what it is. You might find it illogical, but then ... "Welcome to South East Asia", you had better get used to it!

Ten: Relax... Being nervous is just a red flag anyway to anyone looking at you with concern. Be prepared as well... I, personally, carry an up to date copy of my bank statement and investment statement with me just in case I have to prove anything as well as the direct phone number of my embassy and a the name of the Deputy Chief of Mission (public record). Always good to be ready for those 'Just in case' moments.

• Like 2

Re post above, a different IMM Officer might have said: So you're telling me that you don't wish to obtain the proper visa because you might have to sacrifice a few points return on your 800K's worth of investments for a few months? Why don't you go home and think about it. Next?

For the record, I have been traveling back and forth to Thailand for now going on 4 years. I go home every summer (to see my kids and to have a real steak). I have done this on Tourist Visas (single though usually double visas issued in either the US or in Laos. I have done many a Visa Run to the usual places and only once been stopped at a ground entry point. The chat lasted 2 minutes, and I was told that I really should get the right Visa. When I explained to them that I did not want to put money into a Thai bank for 2 - 3 months for a  Retirement class Visa and that said money would earn more if I left as an investment in the Market (I spent the next 15 minutes explaining how the officer could do the same thing, to which he thanked me for the advise, and actually shook my hand as if I had just come up with a cure for Cancer). I have worked here as well, though not planned, at a Government Hospital and never once did they get me a Work Permit though I was on their payroll for 6 months and received a commendation for said work from the Ministry of Health. Why I have told you this is simply because "There are the way things are supposed to work and then there are the ways that things actually work". It is far from logical or seem to always follow the rules, but that is Thailand (as with many other countries for that matter, especially in South East Asia). One just has to live with it, go nuts, get an ulcer, start drinking, or move back home.

One: A visa into Thailand does NOT mean that you will get in. This also applies to getting an extension on a current visa. It is up to the "discretion of the immigration officer" at the time/port of entry.

Two: Airlines are not immigration officers. They will simply check that you have the required visa... sometimes... though hardly ever!. I have actually been asked to sign a document removing the airline (China Air in my case) from any responsibility.

Three: Possible questioning at the time of entry is up to the officer involved. They have the right and the power to "grill you". So you should, if you are planning to stay in Thailand for extended periods of time (no matter what the reason or time line) obtain the correct visa no matter what. Though the law is clear that you can come and go as often as you wish (causing the proverbial Visa Run) abusing that capability will just at some point get you in the eye of a overly self-important immigration officer looking for that extra 'stripe'.

Four: Interviews at the point of entry are not common in Thailand, but do serve a purpose and immigration is within their rights to preform said interviews. Just be calm and respectful at all times.

Five: As a Westerner, remember that you have no 'real' rights in Thailand. You are looked at far differently than someone of say, Asian descent.

Six: As for the cost of living here in Thai verses North America, or Europe... Thai Immigration here does not understand the reality of said difference most of the time. It has been my experience at the Airport to be asked "how can you afford so much time here without working?" and I am ready for that question with certain additional documentation (see below).

Seven: The law is, unless you present the immigration officer with false documents, have a criminal record, wanted anywhere for anything major (that they understand), on a Watch or some other List, or simply look like you are a bum (so dress nice and have had a shower), or you present them with an attitude of a combative nature, drunk, high, or just a ass h*le... they cannot deport you. Yes, they may hold you for questioning... but in the end they will let you go on your way.

Eight: So remove any idea of confrontation from your mind when dealing with any Thai on any subject. It will not get you anywhere except, in this case, a flight home.

Nine: Remember that we are guests in this country and as such we have to mind ourselves and the way which we do things. The system may not be fair, but it is what it is. You might find it illogical, but then ... "Welcome to South East Asia", you had better get used to it!

Ten: Relax... Being nervous is just a red flag anyway to anyone looking at you with concern. Be prepared as well... I, personally, carry an up to date copy of my bank statement and investment statement with me just in case I have to prove anything as well as the direct phone number of my embassy and a the name of the Deputy Chief of Mission (public record). Always good to be ready for those 'Just in case' moments.

Why don't you get a OA visa from the embassy or one of the 3 official consulates. No need to move money here. You could come and go as much as your want for almost 2 years. For the 1st year you would get a one year entry every time you enter then after one year when the visa expires you would just need to get a multiple re-entry permit at immigration to keep your current permit to stay valid. Then get a new visa when that runs out. Much better than tourist visas.

"Two" Airlines are not immigration officers but they do have the responsibility to check that you meet the requirements for entry. If you have a visa a onward ticket is not required. If no visa then you do need ticket out within 30 days.

"Three" There are some border crossing that restrict visa exempt entries to no more than 4 in a row so it is not un-restricted.

"Five" Not true. You have the same legal rights as anybody else. Except for working, purchasing property, voting and etc. that is only for Thai citizens.

The only difference is that you can be deported for violating the law instead of being put in jail or jailed and then deported.

"Seven" You cannot be deported until you are allowed entry into the country. You can be denied entry but it is a fairly high bar for them to do it. It is not something that can be arbitrarily done.

"Eight" Confrontation is not good. But if you know they are wrong you should calmly and politely explain why you feel they are wrong. That is why asking for a supervisor or even a higher authority may need to be asked for.

"Ten" Contacting the embassy would be no help at all in most cases. They won't do anything until you are in jail already.

There are other points I disagree with but not worth writing about.

Jeezuz... a whole lot of so-called 'expertise', what-if's, anecdotal ramblings and 'it happened to me' rubbish.

The OP was just asking if anyone has had similar experience and been refused and not really caring if they legally can do it, or legally refuse you entry*, or the airline rules and regulations, or the myriad of immigration options available to all and sundry to obtain (as the Aussie's apparently call it) "residence by stealth."

I like THAT definition btw. It sums up the situation for a whole plane load of foreign 'Thai visa abusers'... a fair few of those would be Aussies themselves.

* The correct answer is,.. Yes, they can.

Oh yes, for one of the other opinions posted in herein that was specifically directed at the OP, it is not illegal to seek work while on a TR visa. It may be a tad disingenuous to some but you are not breaking any statutes by doing so. You just cannot ENGAGE in any paid or unpaid work while on a TR visa. That IS a no-no.

I have been living in Bangkok for the last five years, and never stay for more than 30 days, always enter on VOA but never have an onward ticket. I have been questioned when leaving Malaysia but have always managed to get on the flight. I think the advice to remain calm and polite is the most important.

I fill in the questionnaire saying my occupation is consultant and always tick the highest income range, dress neatly and always speak Thai to the immigration officer on arrival.

I guess there is always the chance that immigration in Malaysia will stop me but I have no desire to visit The immigration office at Samutprakarn ever again in this lifetime.

It is of course not illegal to seek work on any valid entry. The immigration officers who questioned the +/-30 year old as to whether he was engaged in work, however, had their sniffers attuned as, if the question were 'Are you contemplating ever working in The Kingdom' the OP could not have said that the thought never crossed his mind. The OP was able in the circumstance described to convince the IMM Officers that he was not gainfully employed in LOS without having the proper credentials.

I would suggest that the query in post #1 is more likely to occur with a +/- 30 year old than with say a 50+ gent as to how one is supporting oneself while in The Kingdom..

Edited by JLCrab

I have been living in Bangkok for the last five years, and never stay for more than 30 days, always enter on VOA but never have an onward ticket. I have been questioned when leaving Malaysia but have always managed to get on the flight. I think the advice to remain calm and polite is the most important.

I fill in the questionnaire saying my occupation is consultant and always tick the highest income range, dress neatly and always speak Thai to the immigration officer on arrival.

I guess there is always the chance that immigration in Malaysia will stop me but I have no desire to visit The immigration office at Samutprakarn ever again in this lifetime.

I feel the much the same way about flying and the airports: Going for an extension once a year and subsequent reports is far preferable than dealing with the flying madness +/- 12 times per year.

Was the fact that you were here studying the language for a year apparent in the passport?

The sum total of your time in Thailand may have seemed a lot for a 'tourist'

No, I studied here back in 2005 and have since renewed my passport.

It does seem that the Embassy / Consulate who is granting a visa would deny a new visa or request additional information from someone rather than granting the visa just to have Immigrations deny them entry. Don't both departments have access to the same information?

It does seem that the Embassy / Consulate who is granting a visa would deny a new visa or request additional information from someone rather than granting the visa just to have Immigrations deny them entry. Don't both departments have access to the same information?

No. Immigration has a lot more access.

Thai visa are simply a show of bureocracy without substance, logic or consistency (that is, before the bank visa get stolen or contrabanded), the system is kept in place so embassies and consulate can generate income and warrant their jobs.

No. Immigration has a lot more access.

Thai visa are simply a show of bureocracy without substance, logic or consistency (that is, before the bank visa get stolen or contrabanded), the system is kept in place so embassies and consulate can generate income and warrant their jobs.

Interesting!

Does that comment just apply to Thailand or the whole world ?

Compare this thread to the earlier thread from a woman who was also questioned at the same airport on an ED visa over whether she was a 'real student'.

I'll quote Roger Waters -

"Ooooh, ooooh, the tide is turning."

Staying in Thailand long term for the under-50's who do not hold a work permit or are not married to Thais will very gradually become more and more difficult.

Compare this thread to the earlier thread from a woman who was also questioned at the same airport on an ED visa over whether she was a 'real student'.

I'll quote Roger Waters -

"Ooooh, ooooh, the tide is turning."

Staying in Thailand long term for the under-50's who do not hold a work permit or are not married to Thais will very gradually become more and more difficult.

The only thing stopping this happening more often is the lack of English spoken by immigration officals. It is easier to stamp someone in and hope for the best then trying to catch them out via verbal Q&A with a few doozies thrown in.

If every immigration officer spoke English to a level found in say, Malaysia, then a lot of posters would be in real trouble.

.......You will eventually get a grilling anyway with your constant comings and goings. They were right to be suspicious - that's their job - and you made your excuses, which they accepted, and no further action was taken. Relax.

I fly in & out of Thailand on average about 10 times per year, most often only staying for 10-14 days, as I have a partner, & now a baby daughter, a few hours out of BKK.

I have copies of my daughter's Thai & Aussie passport & birth certificate etc. & my partner's details with me in case of just such a grilling. When travelling together we have been told to enter & exit through the Thai passport queue together so I presume there are Thai Immigration records of the family connection.

I am not interested in retiring yet or obtaining a Thai residential visa as I've never stayed more than 28 days in the last few years. I work in Oz whilst the family also fly in & out of Oz on Tourist visas (except of course our daughter who holds dual citizenship). My partner isn't particularly interested in being in Oz full-time until our daughter needs to start school.

Should I expect this perfect arrangement to come crashing down when an IO starts to question my frequent flyer status?

You have a valid reason so there should not be any issues. They are only interested in those spending abnormal amounts of consecutive/extended time visa entries - not those making frequents short stays to visit family and friends.