China-Thailand tourism-visa waiver still some way off: minister

webfact

CHINA-THAILAND VISA
China-Thailand tourism-visa waiver still some way off: minister

Petchanet Pratruangkrai
The Nation
Kunming, China

30217921-01_big.jpg
Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang, left, visits Thailand on the mid of this month and floated the idea to tourist-visa waiver between China and Thailand.

BANGKOK: -- The much-anticipated reciprocal tourist-visa waiver between China and Thailand is unlikely to materialise anytime soon, despite the wishes of tourism-business operators in both countries.

At a press conference for Thai media on the sidelines of the 15th China International Travel Mart (CITM) here, Thai Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak said the Kingdom would need some time to strengthen security measures and develop infrastructure to serve the jump in visitor numbers that a waiver would bring.

The government needs more time to prepare infrastructure and the many services needed to cater to an increase in Chinese visitors, Somsak said. Thus, a visa waiver is not on the cards in the short term.

"Currently, Thailand has potential to serve up to 30 million travellers [a year]. The government is afraid that if the visa waiver for the Chinese is done without preparation, it could create problems and inconvenience for travellers, in particular those from China, which is already the biggest source of foreign visitors to Thailand," he said.

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang floated the idea during his visit to Thailand earlier this month. He told Parliament that his government is willing to hold talks on bilateral visa exemptions for tourists.

Li said a waiver would offer Chinese and Thai tourists more convenience and promote more people-to-people exchanges. From 3 million travelling between the two countries last year, the number is expected to increase to 5 million next year, should a visa waiver be put in place.

China is now the biggest source of tourists to Thailand, with about 3.7 million Chinese visiting in the first nine months of 2013, up 90 per cent over the same period of 2012, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand. This year, the number is expected to be 4 million.

Despite the support for the idea among tourism-business operators, Somsak said tourism infrastructure will need to be developed first, ranging from the capacity of airports and accommodations to the availability of cruise services and the provision of safety measures. Chinese-language signs are also necessary to inform travellers of locations and directions. Personnel working in the industry should also be prepared to serve the higher number of Chinese and other foreign visitors.

He did not give a specific date as to when Thailand would be ready for the waiver. He noted that for now, Thailand can facilitate Chinese visitors through the issuance of multiple-entry visas. According to Somsak, the Foreign Affairs Ministry plans to speed up development of an electronic visa-issuance system so that Chinese people will be able to visit more conveniently.

Somsak added that China may be able to waive visas for Thais unilaterally as an initial step, because China has better-developed infrastructure.

TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni said the Thai government and private enterprises will try to develop services to serve the rising numbers of Chinese visitors each year. He said Thailand would focus more on quality Chinese tourists from the middle and upper market segments.

Given the Chinese government's policy to eliminate travel agents offering low-quality tours from China to Thailand and other countries, higher-quality Chinese tourists will visit Thailand and spend more, Surasak said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-25

Part of China's glad-handing campaign is to try and get these sorts of no-visa entry with other countries. They're doing it with India and Russia. Of course, even best case scenario won't be smooth entry and exit. BTW, I'm an American and went solo to visit Europe, 10 year ago. When I entered and left Austria, it was so quick and easy, I was astounded. It took about 9 seconds of bureaucracy (and a small red rubber stamp) to enter. Unfathomable in an Asian country.

One thing that may happen, if Chinese visit other countries, is they converse with locals, and thereby may absorb some funny ideas like 'freedom of speech' and they may also wonder if it's right for a country of 1.3 billion people to get 100% of its political initiatives/edicts handed down from nine old men ....all such edicts are are rubber stamped, with no debate or votes.

Part of China's glad-handing campaign is to try and get these sorts of no-visa entry with other countries. They're doing it with India and Russia. Of course, even best case scenario won't be smooth entry and exit. BTW, I'm an American and went solo to visit Europe, 10 year ago. When I entered and left Austria, it was so quick and easy, I was astounded. It took about 9 seconds of bureaucracy (and a small red rubber stamp) to enter. Unfathomable in an Asian country.

One thing that may happen, if Chinese visit other countries, is they converse with locals, and thereby may absorb some funny ideas like 'freedom of speech' and they may also wonder if it's right for a country of 1.3 billion people to get 100% of its political initiatives/edicts handed down from nine old men ....all such edicts are are rubber stamped, with no debate or votes.

Thailand can only dream of having NINE men running the country!

Just can't imagine China waiving visas ..to anyone....ever!

Exactly, that's where the hiccup was....Yingluck: "Oh it would be so nice to mutually waive visas for both our citizens, I know Thai travellers can't wait to visit your GREAT country visa-free." Li Keqiang: "Wait, I thought we're talking about only Thailand waiving visa for my Chinese herds".

Yes can somebody please list the countries (and by countries we mean as usual sovereign states recognised by the UN) (reference for Pointless fans)

which currently allow visa free entry or visa waiver entry to the peoples' Republic of China?

Yes can somebody please list the countries (and by countries we mean as usual sovereign states recognised by the UN) (reference for Pointless fans)

which currently allow visa free entry or visa waiver entry to the peoples' Republic of China?

Probably none, and from what I know a special passport is needed for Chinese to travel within China. However when connecting flghts in Bejing, people is let in without a visa, I think for up to 72 hrs. Things are changing rapidly and I would not be surprised if China was to introduce visa waivers.

Edited by paz

TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni said the Thai government and private enterprises will try to develop services to serve the rising numbers of Chinese visitors each year. He said Thailand would focus more on quality Chinese tourists from the middle and upper market segments.

I see TAT Governor Suraphon is still chasing his illusive Quality Tourists biggrin.png

I can believe, with little doubt, that the majority of the problems on Thailand's part starts with how on earth will the foreign ministry re-fill it's coffers if 3mn Chinese visitors don't have to pay for visas anymore.

All of this fluff about infrastructure, and road signs. I mean honestly, they have been attracting western tourists for 35 years, and they didn't do a great job about developing properly, why on earth would anyone give two hoots whether or not there is enough capacity in the sewage treatment to handle a couple of million extra chinese onto the eastern seaboard.

because China has better-developed infrastructure.

Have you ever seen a better example of deference from a Thai to another nation? What a great bit of ego stroking that is. They have visa waivers for all sorts of country's who have infrastructure infinitely better than China, but no one jumps up to claim they can't handle europeans.....

What about visa waivers for farang entering Thailand? 555555, ok, chortle, just kidding. Thailand already gets its majority of outside money from non-Asian farang, so why mess with a good thing? Actually, they are messing with it, in the form of raising entry and exit fees (another thread).

Chinese visa waivers are available for people from Brunei, Japan and Singapore, but they can only stay up to 15 days visa-free.