Fed up with Thai police corruption

loogkreung

Also, must be pointed out that said officer's eyes lit up when he saw a Falang at the wheel. So I'm racially paranoid, too!

Already? You've only been here 5 minutes.

When you've been here a while, these things won't bother you so much.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, must be pointed out that said officer's eyes lit up when he saw a Falang at the wheel. So I'm racially paranoid, too!

They are all the same, Xmas eyes. Just remember not have your wallet full of notes when pulling your license out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

They are all the same, Xmas eyes. Just remember not have your wallet full of notes when pulling your license out.

I wonder what lit up eyes actually look like?

The OP complains of corruption by the police but he, by his actions, encourages it.  He offers 100thb, then 200thb, officer says No, then he offers 500thb.  Too bad the cop didn't arrest him for the bribe.  Posted Image smh

The officer would have taken anything if he was told that's it all I have, in other situations this won't work I.e non traffic offences

I got nailed a couple of days ago went to wrong booth on toll way, so the copper decided I had to be punished.... At first he wanted 1000 baht leaw leaw, but I have learned to never have more than 200 sit in my wallet gave him that.

You can call the corruption report line that's advertised in the tv.

Wow - explain that one... Wrong Toll Booth ?

You mean you pulled up at the Easy Pass booth without an Easy Pass or something and thus had to reverse to slot back into the line for Normal toll booths ???

Please explain as this one does seem like corruption and a BiB taking advantage of a mistake which is not against the law.

You are absolutely correct, I reversed back and went through another one my fault I wasn't paying attention, on the other side there were bib doing checks for protestors and he asked me to stop pretending to look for people then that's when he came out with his pish, I didn't bother arguing waste of time just gave him 200. I'd love to have just chucked the cash at him but I smiled graciously as if he was correct and made sure his wee pal seen me handing the cash over smile.png

Fair enough and each to their own. I would have handled that one a little differently...

Firstly I'd have refused to pay anything, no law broken. I'd have smiled and said nice try.

A couple of years ago: The car in front and I got pulled for speeding by the highway police.

The BiB dealt with the other car first, then came to me (I don't know if the other car paid anything or not but they were dealt with in 2 mins).

The BiB came to my car and told me I was speeding - I asked him how fast he thought I was going, he said faster than the speed limit.

I asked him what the speed limit was and he said 95 kmh, I said I wasn't going that fast. He walked off.

Another BiB came to my window and told me I was speeding, I asked him the speed limit, this time I was told the speed limit was 90 kmh - I said I wasn't going that fast.

They said there was a camera back up the road that caught me, I said in that case exactly what speed was I doing? I suggested that if they really did have a speed camera further back it would prove that I was not speeding (bluff) and they would be able to tell me what speed I was doing.

The BiB walked off and conferred with each other. He came back and asked for my Licence, I showed him my Thai Licence but didn't hand it over (I only kept the window 2" open). He seemed satisfied with a quick visual of the licence.

I then asked him if he's going to charge me with something? if so write me a ticket, otherwise can I go?.

He told me to drive safely...

The amusing part of it was that a good friend of mine who is fairly senior in the RTP phoned up just as I was pulled over. He wanted to help but it was a simple enough situation to have under control myself.

It appears I'm outnumbered. In which case, I offer a full retraction. The Thai police are no longer the corrupt organization I once considered them to be. I will sell my car and go directly to bedlam!

Your car. What is it and how much you selling it for?

• Like 2

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand[/quo

I wonder what lit up eyes actually look like?

Edited by Hedghog

It appears I'm outnumbered. In which case, I offer a full retraction. The Thai police are no longer the corrupt organization I once considered them to be. I will sell my car and go directly to bedlam!

You can't, I believe one needs a 1,000 posts to go there. tongue.png

O get over it it is so much easier to give one of these guys a couple of hundred baht and to move on then get a ticket go to the office and pay double. It doesn't matter weather right or wrong its they way business is done in Thailand, get on your high horse and parade up and down the road screaming how corruption is killing the country and see how much it helps.

O get over it it is so much easier to give one of these guys a couple of hundred baht and to move on then get a ticket go to the office and pay double. It doesn't matter weather right or wrong its they way business is done in Thailand, get on your high horse and parade up and down the road screaming how corruption is killing the country and see how much it helps.

Agreed, the ticket would've been 1000 and further inconvenience having to go to the station "miles away", he paid 500 (despite low-balling the BiB with a 100 to start proceedings).

That's still coming out in front...

OP knew how to play the game, yet complains about the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

This is not a number game, these people are stating the facts because you don't understand what is " corruption "..you should shit out of thailand instead of complaining over trival matters and go to a country you love...probably corruption free...

Yes, it is trivial, but if this kind of banter upsets you, perhaps you should try minding your own business,

If you want TV members to mind their own business you should not have posted your thread here....you did that to gauge the responses from TV. this is what you get, probably you expect the farangs to support you just because you are a farang yourselves...but most of them have brains and know what's right and what's wrong...

you broke a traffic rule..and you cried corruption and even refer the BIB as bastards.

I suggest you go to a country where you can break all traffic rules on the road....next time keep your comments in your locker..you still think you are right..SAD.

Edited by chuang

I may be wrong, but if the OP was stuck in the middle of the junction with the red light, it's his fault.

You're correct, queuing in intersections is one of the biggest causes of traffic jams in Thailand, it's about time the Thai police did something about it. OP - shame on you!

Why don't they have the yellow squares, that's the box junctions in the UK? I know, they would get treated like zebra crossings here, as if they were not there.

Seriously boo hoo can i get you a tissue?? So much crying on TV now is comical. Much rather give the cop B500 on the spot at least then it's over and done with. In the western world would know doubt get a picture in the mail with a fine 50x what the cop asked for then you have to stuff around fighting for weeks to try have it squashed!! Yes sometimes corruption is a pain but times like this it works!! Not gonna change anyways ;)

Seriously boo hoo can i get you a tissue?? So much crying on TV now is comical. Much rather give the cop B500 on the spot at least then it's over and done with. In the western world would know doubt get a picture in the mail with a fine 50x what the cop asked for then you have to stuff around fighting for weeks to try have it squashed!! Yes sometimes corruption is a pain but times like this it works!! Not gonna change anyways wink.png

Really? You are going to pay the BiB 500 baht each time they stop you ?.... This makes me wonder how closely you resemble the photo in your avatar !...

Seriously boo hoo can i get you a tissue?? So much crying on TV now is comical. Much rather give the cop B500 on the spot at least then it's over and done with. In the western world would know doubt get a picture in the mail with a fine 50x what the cop asked for then you have to stuff around fighting for weeks to try have it squashed!! Yes sometimes corruption is a pain but times like this it works!! Not gonna change anyways Posted Image

Really? You are going to pay the BiB 500 baht each time they stop you ?.... This makes me wonder how closely you resemble the photo in your avatar !...

Well would learn from the first instance and not cue thru intersection to catch there eye. And that's bubbles my friend google trailer park boys ;)

Well I have a cunning ploy. I have never been fined, ticketed or had to bribe the BiB despite being pulled over on numerous occasions.

Instantly start a conversation in Thai about football.

BiB will then ask what team you support.

Answer, without lying, "Leeds Utd"

BiB then pisses himself and declares "Leeds len mai dii"

You'll soon be on your way with a look of sympathy.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Well I have a cunning ploy. I have never been fined, ticketed or had to bribe the BiB despite being pulled over on numerous occasions.

Instantly start a conversation in Thai about football.

BiB will then ask what team you support.

Answer, without lying, "Leeds Utd"

BiB then pisses himself and declares "Leeds len mai dii"

You'll soon be on your way with a look of sympathy.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

We all have our ways, Thai police are too nice to give fines out to anyone who isn't being an ass.

This is not a number game, these people are stating the facts because you don't understand what is " corruption "..you should shit out of thailand instead of complaining over trival matters and go to a country you love...probably corruption free...

Maybe instead of complaining about trivial matters, you should go to a website you love, where they censor posters who speak their piece.

I got a ticket for this in Los Angeles. I tried to explain to the cop I was stuck in the intersection! He politely explained I should have never been in that position and should have waited before getting stuck there. I guess it's the law in many places. And yes, this is a major reason for traffic congestion. Really screws up traffic.

• Like 1

Ferangs always get fined more than Thais... Paranoid fuc_k all... Fact...

Sent from my C5303 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thais get fined more than farangs, money first! Bib don't care where or who it comes from so long as they get their hard earned money.

Incorrect.

Standard traffic infraction is 100b for Thais, for you farangs 200-500.

Edited by yingyo

Thais get fined more than farangs, money first! Bib don't care where or who it comes from so long as they get their hard earned money.

Incorrect.

Exactly ferangs more... Or does holding thai driving licence means you pay Thai fine...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Incorrect.

Exactly ferangs more... Or does holding thai driving licence means you pay Thai fine...

Do you farangs with a Thai DL always only pay 100b?

I don't believe so.

Incorrect.

Do you farangs with a Thai DL always only pay 100b?

I don't believe so.

No I have always paid 500 baht... Exactly my point... Ferangs pay more plus extra... No tickets issued hence corruption... Money handed over same time licence handed back with a quick look up to see if anybody is watching... I rest my case..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app