Phuket tour bus slams into motorists, shophouse; 'brake failure' cited, again

Lite Beer

Phuket tour bus slams into motorists, shophouse; 'brake failure' cited, again
Phuket Gazette -

post-36914-0-49567000-1382844602_thumb.p
Bus driver Chuchart Wornwanitcha, 64, says he thought it better to ram the shopfront than to keep going without brakes. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: Three people were injured when a Phuket tour bus slammed into traffic waiting at the busy Slaughterhouse Intersection in Phuket Town just after midday yesterday.

No tourists were on board the bus at the time of the accident, but the juggernaut slammed into two cars and three motorbikes before it came to a halt when it plowed into the front of a shophouse on Bangkok Road.

“One man and two women on motorbikes were hit by the bus while they were waiting at the traffic lights,” said Capt Weerachart Srira of the Phuket City Police.

“One is seriously injured. She hit the road and was bleeding profusely from her mouth when she was rushed to hospital,” he said.

All three were taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town, he added.

“The bus also struck a Toyota Yaris at the intersection, but the two women in that vehicle were not injured,” Capt Weerachart said.

Bus driver Chuchart Wornwanitcha, 64, told police that the brakes failed.

“I was heading to a depot on Koh Sireh for regular maintenance. I tried to brake before the intersection, but nothing happened,” he said.

“All I could do was sound my horn and go through the intersection, but as soon as I could I stopped the bus by driving it into the building," he added.

“I thought it was best to do that where I could see no people were walking along the street than to keep going,” Mr Chuchart said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-tour-bus-slams-into-motorists-shophouse-brake-failure-cited-again-22626.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-27

Why do they call it the "Slaughterhouse Intersection", doe it have something to do with the amount of unroadworthy buses that have breaks fail, tyres blow out or the steering suddenly gives way? Aren't there standard daily inspections before these vehicles hit the road?

Given that all these buses are manual transmission, had the driver actually been trained correctly, he could have used his clutch and gears to at least slow the bus down to a relatively safe speed before aiming it at a wall, but that would involve the sort of driving skills that we don't see here in Thailand.

Let's keep in mind that bus drivers are not usually responsible for maintenance, therefore IF, it was brake failure it is hardly the drivers fault. If anyone cares to look at the photos you will note that the impact to the building was at very low speed. I would suggest on this occasion that the driver did in fact lose his brakes and also did lower his speed using the gears, personally I think the driver used good skills and limited the damage/deaths that could have been caused...

• Like 1

Driving to fast thus overusing the brakes causes them to overheat and temporarily fail.

On a stretch of road like that? No chance, sounds much more like a mechanical problem.

...or 'human' error...which of course he would never admit to.....

Only when the word get out, AND IT HAS STARTED that Thailand is not the LOS, but

the land of Murder on the Roads by Companies that don't "give a sh## " about

you safety ; and only want your money will this problem be even considered by TAT.

Lots of Europeans, Chinese, and Japanese are already going to other Countries

where they feel safer. Hope tourism declines by 60% in the future, it will serve

these money hungry business right.

Driving to fast thus overusing the brakes causes them to overheat and temporarily fail.

On a stretch of road like that? No chance, sounds much more like a mechanical problem.

Sure, could be, but that is not what it sounds like.

But a conclusion 'driving to fast thus overusing the brakes causes them to overheat ...', does not make sense at all. Unless of course it was a general statement, but posted by mistake in the Phuket forum in stead of the motoring forum.

Given that all these buses are manual transmission, had the driver actually been trained correctly, he could have used his clutch and gears to at least slow the bus down to a relatively safe speed before aiming it at a wall, but that would involve the sort of driving skills that we don't see here in Thailand.

How do you know he didn't?

No experience again, you can go down in all gears till you get to the lowest, did the hand brake fail also.

So why are vehicles fitted with brakes if all one needs is a gearbox? You've had experience of a vehicle this size with no brakes?

Sure, could be, but that is not what it sounds like.

But a conclusion 'driving to fast thus overusing the brakes causes them to overheat ...', does not make sense at all. Unless of course it was a general statement, but posted by mistake in the Phuket forum in stead of the motoring forum.

I used to think you knew something about automobiles, Steve.

Since you don't believe me:

Reasons for brake failure:

1. Crystallized brake pads and/or shoes: The brakes have become hardened from heat and are no longer effective at grabbing and stopping the rotation of the brake drum or rotor. This condition usually occurs after the brakes have been overused, either because of excessive panic stops or "riding of the brake." The braking material must be soft enough to wear and grab hold of the drum or rotor to stop the car. Excessive overheating hardens the braking material and consequently, the brakes become ineffective.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/04/03/aa.brake.failure/

• When the brakes overheat to a great degree, the metal in the brake rotors or drums develops hard spots. These are known as hot spots. The hot spots resist the friction from the brake shoes and pads. Because the shoes or pads have nothing they can grasp, there's no friction. Consequently, braking power is lost.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-problems/brake-failure1.htm

Edited by NomadJoe

If the brakes are sufficient for the vehicle and well maintained no way should they fail through too much use.

Incorrect.

Vehicle braking system fade, or brake fade, is the reduction in stopping power that can occur after repeated or sustained application of the brakes, especially in high load or high speed conditions. Brake fade can be a factor in any vehicle that utilizes a friction braking system including automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, airplanes, and even bicycles.

Brake fade is caused by a buildup of heat in the braking surfaces and the subsequent changes and reactions in the brake system components and can be experienced with both drum brakes anddisc brakes. Loss of stopping power, or fade, can be caused by friction fade, mechanical fade, or fluid fade. Brake fade can be significantly reduced by appropriate equipment and materials design and selection, as well as good cooling.

Brake fade occurs most often during high performance driving or when going down a long, steep hill. It is more prevalent in drum brakes due to their configuration. Disc brakes are much more resistant to brake fade because the heat can be vented away from the rotor and pads more easily, and have come to be a standard feature in front brakes for most vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade

If the brakes are sufficient for the vehicle and well maintained no way should they fail through too much use.

Incorrect.

Vehicle braking system fade, or brake fade, is the reduction in stopping power that can occur after repeated or sustained application of the brakes, especially in high load or high speed conditions. Brake fade can be a factor in any vehicle that utilizes a friction braking system including automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, airplanes, and even bicycles.

Brake fade is caused by a buildup of heat in the braking surfaces and the subsequent changes and reactions in the brake system components and can be experienced with both drum brakes anddisc brakes. Loss of stopping power, or fade, can be caused by friction fade, mechanical fade, or fluid fade. Brake fade can be significantly reduced by appropriate equipment and materials design and selection, as well as good cooling.

Brake fade occurs most often during high performance driving or when going down a long, steep hill. It is more prevalent in drum brakes due to their configuration. Disc brakes are much more resistant to brake fade because the heat can be vented away from the rotor and pads more easily, and have come to be a standard feature in front brakes for most vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade

I am not saying there is no brake fade. What I am saying is that if the brakes are designed for the vehicle and sufficient the vehicle should always be able to be stopped although it may take a greater difference. Busses like those in this accident are built by taking a much smaller vehicle and then building a new and much larger body on it. Much of which by the way is wood. The vehicle was never designed for the purpose and the brakes were not either.