American campaigns to convince Thai people to wear helmets

webfact

American Drives Pickup for Thai People to Wear Helmets

57.jpg
The American President of an Independent Charity Foundation drives a pickup truck all over Thai Provinces for the project “On the tour -77” to convince Thai people to wear bike helmets.”

CHAINART – [PDN]: – Police Colonel Ukrit Phuklan (Superintendent of Chainart police station), Police Lieutenant Colonel Wichean Eam-im (Traffic Inspector) and Police Captain Phaithoon Yuakthong (Deputy Traffic Inspector), together with traffic police team from Chainart Police Station welcomed American man, Mr. Klerk Gillot, an American, who is the American President of an Independent Charity Foundation.

He drives a pickup truck all over many Thai Provinces for the project “On the tour -77” in a campaign to get Thai people to wear bike helmets”.

Mr. Klerk started his journey from Nongkhai Province, which is where the Independent Charity Foundation is located and drives along the routes of the North Eastern, Eastern and Southern regions of the Kingdom. In October he is campaigning along routes in the Central and Northern parts of Thailand and is stopping to campaign in Chainart Province. He will also announce an advertisement to campaign and he also walks at various intersections to advise people, who he sees are not wearing helmets.

On October 27th, 2013 he will continue his journey to campaign further away at Nakonsawan Province, where he will use his pickup truck with a big poster beside the pickup truck, with the words “To spend life intelligently you should wear a helmet and advice children to wear helmets”.

Mr. Klerk revealed that the campaigning of wearing helmets for safety is one of the projects that they give priority, in order to help the community and people around us. Since the 2005 onwards, he has given more than 4,000 helmets to students all over Thailand and during the past 8-years, he has attempted to campaign to all the people to wear helmets.

By joining with many organizations, (both the government units and the charity groups) he can make increasing numbers of people wear helmets, which are the pride of the Independent Foundation and an incentive with which to persevere, by the ongoing campaign to persuade people to wear helmets all the time.

Source: http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/10/27/american-drives-pickup-for-thai-people-to-wear-helmets/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2013-10-28

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW ... that's a big big big job he has to do ...change the mentality of people is nearly mission impossible in a country that doesnt want to change ..... yesterday on my way to some shopping a motorcycle was on the road after a pick up truck crushed him ..the guy was dead for sure and guess what ? no helmet ...... its easier to count people with helmet in this country than those without....

• Like 2

If seeing people's brains splattered on the streets on a daily basis hasn't encouraged helmet use I don't see how any campaign will unless it's a campaign where the Thai police start enforcing helmet laws rigidly. Head cracked open? No problem. Police officer's hand on my pocketbook...big problem.

• Like 1

The bigger issue is the quality of the actual helmet and how it is worn. They are crap and most offer little to no protection. Then of course they are worn (if worn) with the strap undone or so loose that it will fall off the head at the first bump. Actually it would probably act as a torpedo and kill the other driver.

I think it is great to see the Thais driving around with Dad in his helmet and the wife on the back with bare head. It is a cheap and easy method for divorce here in the country and there will be no talk of allamony. hihihih

• Like 2

WOW ... that's a big big big job he has to do ...change the mentality of people is nearly mission impossible in a country that doesnt want to change ..... yesterday on my way to some shopping a motorcycle was on the road after a pick up truck crushed him ..the guy was dead for sure and guess what ? no helmet ...... its easier to count people with helmet in this country than those without.... 

Yeah, but it has to start somewhere. What this guy is doing is amazing. Any kind of awareness has to be better than the level of ignorance the Thai people suffer from, when it comes to motorcycle safety. On Samui dozens die monthly on motorcycles, and do the police do anything? No, they continue displaying their utter impotence on a daily basis. So, if the government and the police are completely apathetic to the deaths of hundreds or thousands, the citizens have to take control. It has to start somewhere.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

“To spend life intelligently you should wear a helmet and advice (sic) children to wear helmets”.

Many Thais don't appear to understand why traffic laws must be followed, other than to avoid paying a fine. If a helmet is required, then they will buy the cheapest helmet made of toy grade plastic, providing no protection whatsoever. Since the law doesn't require passengers to wear helmets, children ride unprotected. A more dangerous situation is when a parent rides in the front seat of a car or truck holding her child on her lap. Any sudden stop and the child is crushed against the dashboard.

There appears to be no rhyme or reason to many of the traffic laws, other than to be imitating western regulations. In the village where I live there is alternate day street parking. In the west, this regulation was enacted only during winter months to provide for efficient snow removal. So, I am not sure what the purpose is here.

Laws and regulations here seem to be arbitrary and the their enforcement even more so.

• Like 2

I suppose that if this saves even one or two lives then it was worth it,however the enforcement of traffic laws rests squarely on the Thai police and not well intentioned aliens.

Another equally insane act which never seems to be given much attention is driving a motor cycle devoid of rear mirrors. I have seen many bikes which do not have mirrors and driving such a vehicle especially in traffic is simply an act of total insanity.

I suppose that if this saves even one or two lives then it was worth it,however the enforcement of traffic laws rests squarely on the Thai police and not well intentioned aliens.

Another equally insane act which never seems to be given much attention is driving a motor cycle devoid of rear mirrors. I have seen many bikes which do not have mirrors and driving such a vehicle especially in traffic is simply an act of total insanity.

True, but it makes the motorcycle smaller so it passes easily in between the cars in a traffic jam....... Brilliant and simple ( cheesy.gif )

Funny really, a well meaning but naive American will get plenty of smiles and waves yet achieve little or nothing towards his goal in as many months on the road as he may choose to invest.

Yet a five minute TV appearance by a member of a certain Thai family would achieve the objective overnight.

Where is the motivation to save one's "subjects"?

• Like 2

Funny really, a well meaning but naive American will get plenty of smiles and waves yet achieve little or nothing towards his goal in as many months on the road as he may choose to invest.

Yet a five minute TV appearance by a member of a certain Thai family would achieve the objective overnight.

Where is the motivation to save one's "subjects"?

Did you read this?

Mr. Klerk revealed that the campaigning of wearing helmets for safety is one of the projects that they give priority, in order to help the community and people around us. Since the 2005 onwards, he has given more than 4,000 helmets to students all over Thailand and during the past 8-years, he has attempted to campaign to all the people to wear helmets.

At least he is doing something. Congrats to him for this.

Also, several off topic comments have been removed from view.

yay for this man! To all the naysayers out there, even if he only gets a low number of people to wear helmets, if just ONE person's life is saved by his efforts, then he has spent his time well. Think of the old story about the little boy tossing the dying starfish found on the beach, back into the water. He is told that what he is doing doesn't matter as most will die anyhow. The little boy replies that it matters to the few who live.