Selling my car. Problem with name change of ownership

Wakspee

Hello

Any help would be most appreciated

I have given my ex my pick up. She's had it now for 2 years but has had a problem putting it into her name.

I live in the UK now and sent her a copy of my passport but that wasn't suffice.

She lives up in Udon and asked me to go there to sort it out but that's not possible (I bought the car in Udon and she seems to think I have to go all the way up there to put it in her name) however I've agreed to meet her in Bangkok.

If she brings all the paperwork and her ID etc. would it be possible to put it in her name in Bangkok and if so, where/how would we go about doing this?

Many thanks in advance

wai.gif

you do not need to go to udon.

all she need from you for the transfer is :

-Passport copy - signed

-Visa or arrival stamp in passport copy - signed ( proof that you are within the country at the time of ownership transfer )

-Power of attorney - signed ( standard form for vehicle ownership transfer )

-official form for vehicle ownership transfer - signed

the 2 official forms you may get from any bike or car dealer, very common. I got them saved on my com for years already and just print whenever i need.

All she need to do is to go with these documents, the car and her ID and house registrar ( Blue Book - Tabien baan ) to the local transportation office ( same place where you/she gets her driving license ). Usually done within 1 day !

forgot, she also must bring the car registration book ( blue book ).

there are only 2 reasons why she maybe got problems to do the transfer.

1. You are not in the country when she tries, copies relating to you are missing or not sufficient

2. The car registration booklet is at the bank or a private local loan sharks hands.

I would certainly double check that,I've recently sold 2 cars,and on both occasions I've had to get a proof of residence from immigration,a friend of mine recently bought a car from a farang and the department of transport office wouldn't transfer the car to his thai wife as the farang hadn't given him an up to date proof of residence form,he then got one from him and the transfer was done..

• Like 1

I sold recently vehicles to Nong Kai and Pattaya. Transfer there went smooth without Sellers letter of residency.

Bought last week a CBR from foreigner and transferred here in Phuket without having sellers L.o.R.

Actually never had a problem for the last 15 Years and always doing the same procedure with the same set of documents.

But TiT ! Never know what the guy/girl behind the desk is up to. Not hurt to check.

If your ex is the type of girl that salutes and stood still to the uniformed postman or you speak no or limited Thai I suggest you ( OP ) send a thai middleman to do the transfer / check the paperwork. Every city got these guys doing the paperwork, running to government offices for a few baht. Usually the car/bike dealers got them on hand. For Bangkok, Phuket I got their numbers. Udon ? must ask.

No need for buyer and/or seller to show up. Set of power of attorney forms will do it.

just my experience ! others may have different ones.

you do not need to go to udon.

all she need from you for the transfer is :

-Passport copy - signed

-Visa or arrival stamp in passport copy - signed ( proof that you are within the country at the time of ownership transfer )

-Power of attorney - signed ( standard form for vehicle ownership transfer )

-official form for vehicle ownership transfer - signed

the 2 official forms you may get from any bike or car dealer, very common. I got them saved on my com for years already and just print whenever i need.

All she need to do is to go with these documents, the car and her ID and house registrar ( Blue Book - Tabien baan ) to the local transportation office ( same place where you/she gets her driving license ). Usually done within 1 day !

''Visa or arrival stamp in passport copy - signed ( proof that you are within the country at the time of ownership transfer )''

My understanding is that a signed copy of the seller's Visa is required, but not proof of presence in the country. In Phuket, no need for a proof of residence.

So this means that it could be done through the mail system, from UK to Thailand.

And do not forget that any signature must be in BLUE ink.

NO !

Not the seller !

If he buys , Yes !

Seller always got the easier part. Few copies, few documents to sign and off he is . Very easy.

Thats not always the case.. Chiang Mai demanded it last year and made life very difficult for me. No amount of begging or even a cash offer would get them to do so. they wanted the sellers resident paper, as well as sellers visa and sellers passport. Other ones in the past were just passport.

Its also been demanded on Phuket I know 100% for sure.

• Like 1

I just sold my old car and bought a new one, in both cases i had to get a permit from Immigration 300 BTH each to buy and sell.

I saw another guy, not living here in Chonburi and he couldn't get the permit from immigration, since he lived somewhere else outside this area.

So i guess you need a copy of your passport signed + a letter telling where you live (lived) in Thailand and the permit to sell your car.

The guy who bought my old car couldn't change name in BKK on my old car (Bkk registration) without the permit from me/immigration office.

Good luck!

Always a lot of confusion on the issue of residence permit (which is used as proof of address).

Some offices require it for buyer and seller, some require it for just buyer.

Some office accept a copy, some need the original.

Some office need the signature in blue ink, some don't care.

There IS NO clear answer, it varies depending on where you are and which way the wind is blowing, to be safe have a original residence permit (or letter from your consulate) and sign in blue ink.. then you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

This country just makes things like signing documents so difficult. I bought a new Chevy truck in Pattaya and developed a bacteria infection where I had to return to the states for surgery. I placed $6000.00 down on the truck and made two payments. I wanted to return the truck with very little mileage used however, they refused so I had a neighbor that wanted to purchase the truck and take over the payments but the payment center said they we could not transfer the documents for two years after a new car purchase... I finally found a dealer (Thai) that was able to talk to the finance company and transfer the title. My loss $7000.00... Never Again in Thailand will I buy a house, car, or land.... It is not good investment to do business in Thailand.

NO !

Not the seller !

If he buys , Yes !

Seller always got the easier part. Few copies, few documents to sign and off he is . Very easy.

Not exactly the same situation, but when I sold my motorbike to a buyer living in Pattaya, I had to have a Residenct letter. Pattaya DLT would not accept a copy of a Residency letter that was only 10 days old...

Things can be arbitrary here.

Hope is goes well

PS- Thais call this type of registration, where the seller is not present, Gan Loy, or Floating transfer.

I live in the UK. I am coming to BK for 5 days. She will meet me there to get a copy of my passport and for me to sign the papers.

So, then she needs to take all this to Nong Han (Udon) while I'm still in the country??

I really am tired of Thailand and it's weird bureaucracy. It's one of the reason I left. No 2 government offices have the same set of rules...

NO !

Not the seller !

If he buys , Yes !

Thats not always the case.. Chiang Mai demanded it last year and made life very difficult for me. No amount of begging or even a cash offer would get them to do so. they wanted the sellers resident paper, as well as sellers visa and sellers passport. Other ones in the past were just passport.

Its also been demanded on Phuket I know 100% for sure.

+1 Poster "pmax" is incorrect.

I live in the UK. I am coming to BK for 5 days. She will meet me there to get a copy of my passport and for me to sign the papers.

So, then she needs to take all this to Nong Han (Udon) while I'm still in the country??

I really am tired of Thailand and it's weird bureaucracy. It's one of the reason I left. No 2 government offices have the same set of rules...

Couldn't you get her to call the dot in udon and ask them exactly what they will accept??

And ask if they need a proof of residence form from immigration,and if you can do that in BKK immigration or not.

• Like 1