New US passport in Bangkok

Yeppers had the same issue of needing more pages or expiring within 2 years so I also decided to get a new one. KEEP IN MIND when you do get a new one you have a choice to pick the 52 page "non-standard" one so you dont run into this issue or shouldn't at your 8 year mark again.

Oh and you can't use your same picture as the last one..I tried and they just wouldn't allow it knowing that it wasn't taken within the last 6 months..I tried so hard as I'm very selective and have to prepare for such pictures since Ill be carrying it around for extended periods of years. I was quite set aside by this and simply told the agent, OK I'll take a picture now although I'm not prepared for such and whos to say I wont misplace/lose my passport and provide AGAIN the picture I want?

Where there is a will there is a way and I will get what I want regardless of rules and regulations because I am YeaBiGgiEs!!!

The appointment system for U.S. consulate business in BKK has been in place for some time... To get pages added or apply for a replacement passport, except in cases of emergency, you need to use their online appointments system.

The 10 day turnaround time is from the time you submit your passport application and pay the fee at the Consulate until the new passport is available for pickup or delivery.

Hopefully this is only true of new passports. I went to the embassy in 2010 to have pages added and I was out in 20 minutes (no appointment).

Everything has already been said, but I will reinforce the main points. As a matter of fact, I went to Chaeng Wattana today to transfer my extension of stay from my old passport to my new passport. It was not a short process. It took several hours and I was stuck there over the lunch hour. The immigration website has the incorrect form, so don't bother downloading it from there. On the reverse side, there will be a list of the copies they need to do the transfer. There is no need to worry about this because they know the copies you need at the copy shop downstairs. When they see two passports, they will just get on with the process. 10 baht later I was on my way back upstairs.

As for getting a new passport, I picked my new passport up on Tuesday of this week. My old passport was going to expire in March, 2015. I got a new passport because my old passport was already full, I have already added pages, and my son was getting his first passport. Rather than paying $82 for more pages, it was logical to get an entire new passport with a 52 page book.

You absolutely must have an appointment to apply for the passport. There is no way around that. As stated, you will be sent an email when it is ready to pick up. It took 9 days for me. Bring a printout of the email, your old passport, and your receipt .... They will take your old passport and punch holes in the front and back side. They will return it with your new passport along with a letter for immigration asking to transfer your 'status' to the new passport.

It's all been stated in the thread already, but I just finished the entire process today. I thought I would just confirm that the information is correct.

Get a new passport. When I renewed mine last year I asked how early it could be renewed and they said that there was no time limit. Adding pages or getting a new passport is up to you! Make an appointment though the website http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service.html and take the confirmation slip to the widow to the right of the entrance to get a pass to enter. The cost is $110 and mine took 7 days. They sent me an email when it arrived and I used the email to gain entrance to pickup the passport. You can also pay 100 baht extra and have them EMS the passport to you. Your current passport will remain valid until you pick up the new one when they will cancel the old one and punch holes in the front and back cover, but not through any valid visas.They give you a letter with the passport that you will need to have your stamps transferred by your immigration office if you are on an extension of stay. If you are only here on a visa entry you just show both passports when leaving.

I just did a quick check and there are still 85 appointment times available next week to obtain a new passport and 48 to add pages. The current exchange rate that they are using is 31 baht/$ and they accept Visa and Mater Charge and AX-only if issued in the US.

Read the restrictions on the website on what you can take into ACS and what you can/cannot check they are really starting to enforce the regulations. Do not take someone with you (ie. your wife), as she will no be allowed to come in any more and will be forced to stand outside, rain or shine. Mine did last week when I got my annual income affidavit.!

Ditto on the various details posted above.... including:

--If you go to pick up the new passport at the BKK consulate, make sure you bring the consulate email notifying it's ready for pickup AND the payment receipt you received previously from your application appointment.

When I went for my pickup, I knew I needed to have the email and I did. But I didn't know they'd also want to see the payment receipt slip upon pickup...(Once I'd paid, I figured I was done with that... WRONG!) But fortunately I had brought it with me anyway.

--Also, yes, you can apply for a new passport any time prior to the expiration of your existing one. There's no time restriction. And now with Thai Immigration enforcing new rules for retirement extensions of stay, you always want to make sure you have at least a year of validity remaining on your passport anytime you go for a new retirement extension. So that's a good reason not to wait until you're close to the passport expiration date.

--As for security provisions at the BKK Consulate, yes, they've tightened those lately in various ways. Other people won't be allowed in with you (though I think that's been in place for quite some time). But more recently, they've cracked down on things like large bags and backpacks etc as NOT being allowed inside. During my recent passport appointment, I saw several folks denied entry for carrying their belongings in small school-type backpacks. And they ultimately had to go and leave them at some Thai shop nearby in order to gain access to the ACS office for their appointment. The new restrictions are now clearly posted on the Consulate/ACS website.

--Re then going to CW Immigration for BKK residents who then need to transfer their extension of stay, the wait process pretty much functions just like you're applying for the annual renewal. What I mean by that is, first, you have to wait in the same queue as you'd wait in to get an extension renewal in order for them to transfer the extension stamp.

And then, if you also have a re-entry permit that you want transferred, you have to separately queue at the re-entry permits section for those folks to transfer your existing re-entry permit -- right along with all the folks seeing new ones. So, if the queues are long in either section or if you show up later in the morning or on a Monday or Friday when they're often busier, you're likely to wait longer. And obviously, if going in the morning, you want to get there early enough to hopefully not get caught in the Imm. office's lunch break.

Here was my recap of my passport renewal process in BKK from a related thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/593728-need-to-renew-us-passport-in-bkk-what-happens-to-non-o-retirement-visa/?p=6540652

And then the follow-up on doing the stamp transfers at CW...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/593728-need-to-renew-us-passport-in-bkk-what-happens-to-non-o-retirement-visa/?p=6551782

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Making appointments at ACS is pretty easy.

Just go to their web site and there will be a list of available dates and times.

Pick one and print out the confirmation to bring to the appointment with you.

A word of advice:

Make your appointment well in advance of when you want to go.

I went online to make my appointment about 10 days before I wanted to go.

I found the closest available date was 3 weeks away.

I'd try picking your date about a month before you want to go.

The system works well, easy to use and the people at ACS are good to deal with.

Choke Dee!

I obtained a new US PP in BKK in 2008. I don't recall having to make an appointment; just went in to US Consulate visa section, filled out the application with new photos, turned it in along with the fee and in about 2 weeks I had my new PP. Don't know what the new procedure is now, or if there is one.

To do business with any US Embassy, you must now make an online appointment. They won't give you the time of day if you don't.

Making appointments at ACS is pretty easy.

Just go to their web site and there will be a list of available dates and times.

Pick one and print out the confirmation to bring to the appointment with you.

A word of advice:

Make your appointment well in advance of when you want to go.

I went online to make my appointment about 10 days before I wanted to go.

I found the closest available date was 3 weeks away.

I'd try picking your date about a month before you want to go.

The system works well, easy to use and the people at ACS are good to deal with.

Choke Dee!

I don't think that it's necessary to make an appoint that far in advance. I just did a quick check at 0500 this morning and there were still 85 appointment times available next week to obtain a new passport and 48 to add pages, but the sooner the better if you want an convenient time, I always pick 0730 if available.

Bottom line.. You need an appointment....

I don't think they will issue you a new passport as your expires in 2015 unless you state it is lost or stolen.

Keep in mind that if you do get a new passport you will need to get a new Thai Visa and pay the fee again.

I would just add the pages

not true, they will transfer ur thai visa over free of charge at the immgration office, done it many times.

US embassy gives u a peice of paper when they give u the new passport to helps with this.

agree $82 for pages vs $110 for new passport good for 10 years!! no brainer in my eyes

I just checked the Bangkok Embassy appointment scheduler and there are appointments available for Monday (11/4) for a Passport renewal, and as early as Tuesday (11/5) to add pages. This month (November) looks wide open save Armistice Day (Nov. 11) and Turkey Day/Black Friday (Nov. 28 & 29).

I renewed a passport with almost two years left and this was no problem. I did it just before the rates increased.

I think I got the pick-up email seven (7) calendar days after I dropped off my paperwork. Not even sure how they did it so fast given it had to go to New Hampshire (I think).

The original Passport Office for chip type believe was just the old Pease Air Force Base in New Hampshire but a recent search indicated that they may have a few others now. As said the time is very short (wish my mail was as fast).