Bangkok: Stricter traffic laws from November 1

webfact

TRAFFIC
Stricter traffic laws from November 1

Noppadol Srithaweekard
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Police is to be tougher in enforcing traffic laws and will tow vehicles parked in prohibited zones along 30 Bangkok roads from November 1, the assistant to the national police chief, Pol Lt Gen Reungsak Jarit-Ake, announced on Tuesday.

In addition to the 10 roads where towing was introduced on October 21, the stricter regulations would apply on Pracharat 1; Samsen; Ram Intra; Chaeng Wattana; Ngam Wongwanl; Prachacheun; Navamin; Romklao; Lat Krabang; Pradit Manutham; Srinakarin; Seri Thai; Charoen Krung; Narathiwat Rajanakarin; Jakpetch; Bumrung Muang; Krung Kasem; Yaowarat; Silom; Charan Sanitwong; Charoen Nakhon; Ratchadapisek-Rama III; Ratchadapisek-Talad Plu; Somdet Chaophraya; Krung Thonburi; Somdet Phrachao Taksin; Pracha Uthit; Phetchkasem; Rama II; and Rajapreuk.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-29

• Like 1

its strange I still see many people who parked their cars in some restricted area ... those people who dont give a damn about traffic and stop their car just to go and be some soup or food..... Let see about this stricter traffic laws but I stop to believe in santa long ago .

• Like 1

They really need a stricter driving test, far stricter. As it is it's just a licence to go out and do yourself and others harm, hence the accident rates.

Well, most accidents I saw from someone driving at 180 km/h or complete drunk.

It is not that someone didn't know the rules (which would be different kind of problem)

They really need a stricter driving test, far stricter. As it is it's just a licence to go out and do yourself and others harm, hence the accident rates.

When I took the test for both car and motorbike, I watched about 60% fail. I talked to several people who were there for their 3rd or 4th attempt.

• Like 2

When I took the test for both car and motorbike, I watched about 60% fail. I talked to several people who were there for their 3rd or 4th attempt.

3 or 4 attempts to pass the Thai Driving Test . . . kind of says it all really.

• Like 1

It is not that someone didn't know the rules (which would be different kind of problem)

It's not that they don't know the rules the test does not even see if you can drive on the road, or safely in traffic

its strange I still see many people who parked their cars in some restricted area ... those people who dont give a dam_n about traffic and stop their car just to go and be some soup or food..... Let see about this stricter traffic laws but I stop to believe in santa long ago .

Same people...perfectly healthy people of all ages...that park in the few handicap parking spaces around Bangkok. Little regard for traffic laws combined with little enforcement of the traffic laws makes a great place for A-hole type drivers.

When I took the test for both car and motorbike, I watched about 60% fail.  I talked to several people who were there for their 3rd or 4th attempt. 

3 or 4 attempts to pass the Thai Driving Test . . . kind of says it all really.

I thought it was impossible to fail at a thai driving test. I mean who the f... can fail at that? Well I admit I was wrong..thais can.

its strange I still see many people who parked their cars in some restricted area ... those people who dont give a dam_n about traffic and stop their car just to go and be some soup or food..... Let see about this stricter traffic laws but I stop to believe in santa long ago .

Same people...perfectly healthy people of all ages...that park in the few handicap parking spaces around Bangkok. Little regard for traffic laws combined with little enforcement of the traffic laws makes a great place for A-hole type drivers.

I am a wheelchair user and only in a very few places are the handicap parking spaces actually only by handicapped. I have many times pulled up at a handicapped parking spot where the driver is getting out of the car (not handicapped) and asked did they know that this spot was for the use of handicapped people. In a lot of cases I have been told they didn't know, in some cases they just get back into their car and move and in a very few cases they just ignore me and walk away. The people who ignore me and just walk away are usually driving a Benz or similar expense car. Now these guys should be towed!!

I went to a large Tesco near Bangkok a few month ago to find that the part of the car park reserved for disabled parking had been rented out to shoe vendors.

Without any law enforcement nothing will ever change...so you just have to suck it up and make the best of it. No point in getting pissed off as nothing will change anytime soon.

• Like 1

This has nothing to do with stricter enforcement of traffic laws. They're talking about their new, innovative, revolutionary and totally unique (other less modern countries take note) approach to parking laws. Traffic will no doubt continue to be as lawless, thrilling and chaotic as ever.

Edited by marell

When I was in the U.S. I followed traffic laws to a "T". No parking in restricted/handicap areas, no speeding, no violations what so ever. The reason behind this was that I knew that the laws would not only be enforced, but the penalties are far more painful than the benefits of ignoring the laws.

Here in Thailand...rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

This is effectively chartering a new business - rogue tow truckers. Unregulated tow trucks cruising around freelancing a few baht on their own. Great Thai business. Let's see if they grab those Ferraris and Porsched, and Lambos.

Trouble with that is those who can't pass the current one just bung the examiner; it's the whole corrupt system at fault!!

It's not that they don't know the rules the test does not even see if you can drive on the road, or safely in traffic

This post is not about how you drive. Its about where you park.

• Like 1

I dont believe it! Are you trying to tell me that the BIB are going to enforce the laws already in place! The ones no one takes any notice of, including the BIB?

Earlier this year a van load of the BIB went to London to observe and noticed two things ( 10 out ot 10 for observation) that the British motorists generally complied with motoring rules/laws and the police enforced it.

Its pretty simple really, the police are paid to do a job, but, they somehow get away without doing it and nobody higher up the chain seems to bother, well how high does this attitude go? Lets be honest here, this is just one topic but it or a version of the same thing goes on everywhere in every department of government and in the private sector, until someone wakes up to the fact things are not what they should be Thailand will not be a hub it will be a______________________ you can fill that bit in and I dont like saying that but you know its true.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand