Finding best fares on open ended or flexible return date round trip ticket

jcnbkk

I Fly from LAX to BKK. I'm retired, so I'm never sure when I will want to, or have to make the return trip. I've been flying one way each way lately but at $6-700 each way it's more expensive than the round trip deals I've used in the past for as little as $800-$1,000. When I look for best prices for round trip tickets, Los Angeles to Bangkok, on the web sites like TripAdvisor or SkyScanner, or the sites they link to, I always try to put in a six month or longer return date. But then I can't get the deal. And they don't tell you until after the booking process what the fee will be to change to a sooner or later return date.

Anybody have any advise on which websites have good deals, and/or with flexible booking dates. Or airlines that have the easiest flexible date booking sites or return ticket change policies. Someone once mentioned they get their round trip tickets on Korean Airline, round trip from BKK to USA and they are flexible about changing the return flight to Bkk. Anybody else in similar situation?

I suggest using matrix fare searching to get a reasonably fast and accurate idea of what your best return dates are. Then use the information given on their results page (links to airline websites) to actually check the fare and restrictions direct with the airline.

Apart from some low-cost and budget carriers, I don't know of any airline's online booking service that does not fully disclose the penalties for changing return dates.

As a footnote: since you are only looking at US and Thailand, it is quite easy to identify the 'peak' local traveling periods such as school end-of-term holidays, Songkran, Thanksgiving and the like. Usually nudging your travel by a week either side of these can make for savings as well.

Edited by NanLaew

I'd try a travel agent. For simple point to point itineraries, the online sites work fantastic. For more complex stuff, agents can really shine.

I use to do this via an agent in LA. I found them via an ad in a Thai oriented newspaper we found at a Thai grocery store. They helped us with trips where we wanted to do quite long layovers.

If you can't find a paper like that, try some of the agencies listed in the Sunday travel section of the LA Times. Also, I found originating from the US was cheaper.

• Like 1

Eva Air has a very flexible return policy. Used to be 6 months with a Economy Delux booking...not sure if still true but worth checking out.

I flew with EVA air in 2010. A round-trip ticket Seattle-->Taipei-->Bangkok with an "open" return good for six months. When I decided my return date, I just called their Bangkok office and arranged the exact flight. Just took a quick look at the Online Reservation system and did not see any option for it there. I did find "For wait-list bookings and itineraries with open dates, please contact our reservation office." on this page. So you may need to contact them by phone to do it now.

I've done five flights Bangkok<-->USA and I have been very satisfied with EVA Airways. Flying from Seattle, I liked that they had flights leaving in the middle of the night. Then a short (3 hour +/-) (nice airport btw) wait in Taipei, and then fly into Bangkok arriving in mid-day. I've never had a long wait for Immigration or baggage at those times.

How often do you fly?

Is it always LAX-BKK and BKK-LAX?

Do you prefer to start your trip in LAX? Or BKK?

What is your budget?

$600 - $700 for one-ways, and all the flexibility those allow seems reasonable.

With a 90 day return, say LAX-BKK-LAX, stay in LAX for a week then string together another LAX-BKK-LAX itin., may be the best option. With a six-month return you're running into season overlap, max. stay limits. R/T's ex-USA will be cheaper than ex-BKK.

Nail down your travel dates, firmly, assign a value, then purchase when you see the target price.

Every airline has multiple fare buckets, each with its own set of rules re: changes. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the carriers who operate LAX-xxx-BKK, and their schedules, prices, rules, nuances.

I might short-list ~ 5 carriers (DL, UA, BR, CI, CA) and then educate yourself. Or just use a TA in Los Angeles who specializes in Asia/Thailand air travel.

Thanks for all the advise. In particular I will look at EVA Air next time. As it turned out, I got a ticket on China Airlines RT from LAX-BKK, Nov- Feb. for $990. That's a three month ticket and C-A is pretty good about flexible dates. No extra charge to change to earlier return. To stay longer there may be a charge, as it appears all or most airlines have time blocks of 3 mo., 6 mo., and 1yr., with each time frame having a slightly higher ticket price. At least that's what I found. Except for the 6 mo. economy deluxe ticket from EVA mentioned above, which I will check into next time.

Still, always interested in options. Would love to find a way to get an open ended return RT ticket at a reasonable price, at least close to the lower fare restricted deals. Originate in Bkk or LAX doesn't matter. I spend about equal amounts of time in each place and can start at either end.

Edited by jcnbkk