400k in the bank,baht vs sterling?

Hi

Could anyone please tell me whether or not,the pound sterling equivalent of 400k baht approx 8k sterling in a siam commercial bank foreign deposit account, be acceptable to my local immigration office, as proof of sufficent funds for a marriage visa,or would it have to be converted into Thai baht and deposited into my Thai baht bank account?

I'm just loathe to convert it in case the baht takes a dip,whereby if it did i could then convert pounds to baht.Many thanks.

An equivelent ammount in another currency is acceptable, when the bank gives you your letter for Immigration they will calculate the THB equivelent of your holdings, regardless of which currency they are in.

Believe the money would need to be in an account which allows instant access.

My response above is based on my experience of using GBP and SGD in a foriegn currency account over the years at Phuket and Chiang Mai Immigration offices, clearly the attitude of Immigration at other locations can't be guaranteed. And yes, the funds would need to be accesible and not locked away in an account that doesn't permit access. Much will depend on the bank letter, I used to use HSBC in Bangkok for that purpose and they would always convert my holdings to THB for the purposes of the letter and there was never a problem.

My response above is based on my experience of using GBP and SGD in a foriegn currency account over the years at Phuket and Chiang Mai Immigration offices, clearly the attitude of Immigration at other locations can't be guaranteed. And yes, the funds would need to be accesible and not locked away in an account that doesn't permit access. Much will depend on the bank letter, I used to use HSBC in Bangkok for that purpose and they would always convert my holdings to THB for the purposes of the letter and there was never a problem.

Since Immigrations usually wants to see the manager's letter and a copy of your bank passbook with a dated balance that is exactly the same as that shown in manager's letter, how did his letter giving a baht total and your passbook (?) in pounds or Sing $ manage to satisfy the Immigrations officer? Or, did the manager state the balance in several currencies? ... which might be equally confusing in many instances.

Edited by Suradit69

Since Immigrations usually wants to see the manager's letter and a copy of your bank passbook with a dated balance that is exactly the same as that shown in manager's letter, how did his letter giving a baht total and your passbook (?) in pounds or Sing $ manage to satisfy the Immigrations officer? Or, did the manager state the balance in several currencies? ... which might be equally confusing in many instances.

HSBC used to provide a letter, and statements. The letter converted all foreign currency holdings into THB and then totaled them together with the THB, I never had a bank book at HSBC. Immigration officers hated the HSBC statement because they couldn't understand them, After a couple of extensions the officer suggested I should open an account with a Thai bank if I was staying. She was right - HSBC closed just after !

My immigration office now want to see the bank letter, not more than 2 or 3 days old, and a bank book updated on the day you apply. That was earlier this year. See if it changes next year.

HSBC did not issue bank books, instead they used detailed statements, one for each month. The letter from HSBC listed the currencies held on deposit and the exchange rate in use on the day the bank letter was written, multiply the two and you have a THB equivelent which was also shown on the letter, Immigration never had a problem with it or even raised queries since the letter was supported by twelve monthly statements.

I never understand why they will not accept a 1 year fixed deposit/savings account as you can get 3.25% interest with SBC why the hell does it have to be an account with immediate access !!!!

Fixed deposit accounts are acceptable, even 1 year accounts. When you open a fixed account in Thailand it's the rate that is fixed, not the term. The term is guaranteed by the bank but you are under no obligation to leave your funds on deposit until the end of the term, withdraw them whenever you want but loose the interest already paid and this will be replaced with interest payable at the normal savinmgs rate, currently about 0.5%. So, even though it's a fixed rate account it does have instant access, unless otherwise specified (which I've never seen).

• Like 2

HSBC used to provide a letter, and statements. The letter converted all foreign currency holdings into THB and then totaled them together with the THB, I never had a bank book at HSBC. Immigration officers hated the HSBC statement because they couldn't understand them, After a couple of extensions the officer suggested I should open an account with a Thai bank if I was staying. She was right - HSBC closed just after !

My immigration office now want to see the bank letter, not more than 2 or 3 days old, and a bank book updated on the day you apply. That was earlier this year. See if it changes next year.

"My immigration office now want to see the bank letter, not more than 2 or 3 days old, and a bank book updated on the day you apply. That was earlier this year. See if it changes next year."

Of course these things do vary to some degree from office to office, but the requirement for a current letter (in some case no more than one day old) and a copy of the bank passbook showing the same balance as in the letter, seems to be pretty universal and been the case for a number of years. That has lead to some problems for those with long-term deposit accounts at banks that will only update the book if/when a transaction takes place ... as several recent threads detailing Immigrations refusal to accept such cases illustrates.

Some years ago they were a little less strict about such things until it was found that some applicants were shifting deposits about from friend to friend just prior to an individual going in for an annual extension. That brought about the introduction of the "seasoning" requirement and seems to have heightened the scrutiny of bank account balance claims generally.

Most likely Immigrations will be even more stringent regarding bank balance certification and monthly income certification as the number of cases of rule bending or out-and-out fraudulent claims increase, especially regarding foreign sourced income.

If the players commit more and more egregious fouls, you can't blame the ref for the greater number of red cards. (Startling football analogy from an American, of all people).

Edited by Suradit69

Your name only has been the standard since police order 777/2551 but have seen a few reports of exceptions allowed for marriage - but in general it is strictly enforced it seems.

9 extensions and never any problem having a joint account (Pattaya Immigration).