Best Way to Ship a Case of Canned Veggies to Thailand from U.S.

NancyL

Yesterday evening, I was lamenting with friends how my source for canned lima beans, a key ingredient of Thanksgiving succotash, has moved away. A neighbor always bought canned Del Monte lima beans at the Seoul, Korea PX when visiting her daughter and son-in-law, but they've been stationed to Germany and the neighbor has no desire to fly to Germany before Thanksgiving to pick up a few cans for me. Recently, I had access to the commissary at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok and they don't stock them.

In previous years, I've tried making succotash with dried lima beans and it just isn't the same. Actually, canned is barely tolerable. The best are garden-grown lima beans from my Dad's garden, blanched and frozen at summer's end to be used just for Thanksgiving. But that isn't happening -- not from a high-rise condo in Chiang Mai without a balcony. Like the garden, Dad is long gone, too, but we have to have succotash every year at Thanksgiving in his memory.

Those friends last night, clueless Brits that they are, suggested broad beans and other Old World beans. Nope, not the same. Then, they suggested I buy some canned beans on-line. Bingo! I returned home, logged onto Amazon.com and did some wine-fueled internet shopping -- always the best way to do on-line shopping!

Turns out one must buy an entire case of 12 cans on line -- not just a couple cans. So now I have 12 cans of Libby's lima beans (better than the Del Monte's from the Seoul PX!) on their way to our Miami, Florida mail forwarding service.

Here, at long last, is my question: will there be problems with Thai customs in bringing canned lima beans into the country. Am I better off requesting shipment via DHL/UPS/FedEx or is USPS Global Priority Mail better? I don't know if it's like vitamins and nutritional supplements, where you're less likely to encounter problems with the customs dept if you ship via USPS and very likely to have problems if you ship via DHL/UPS/FedEx.

Thanks!

I would ship USPS. I've never shipped food but have ordered many things from the US and never had a problem with USPS. The one time I used DHL I was hit with a healthy customs charge. Ah lima beans, I've been thinking about ordering some seeds and see if I can get them to grow here. I use to pick and sell them in the summer many years ago, but they were always grown in a very sandy soil, not like what I have where I live.

• Like 1

I was able to purchase canned lima beans on my recent trip to Bangkok.

One thing that I have learned is that in Thailand, everything is available--but is not necessary available where and when you need it, so when I travel to different areas of the Kingdom, I stock up on items that I don't see in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

I would ship USPS. I've never shipped food but have ordered many things from the US and never had a problem with USPS. The one time I used DHL I was hit with a healthy customs charge. Ah lima beans, I've been thinking about ordering some seeds and see if I can get them to grow here. I use to pick and sell them in the summer many years ago, but they were always grown in a very sandy soil, not like what I have where I live.

Now I'm wondering about trying to import some Malaysian and Indian Spices from KL. Thought it would be too much pain and a costly exercise if Thai Customs decide to hit me with Import Duty. I'll see how I go with USPS....thanks for the info.

How much do you expect your mail forwarder to charge to ship this? A case of dry food is about 30 pounds. If your lima beans are packed in water, you can expect more than that. A 30 pound Priority Mail package is $150 and has the best chance of passing customs with little or no duty. If you use the other carriers, they are going to charge you more for shipping and you will pay a full formal customs duty.

Edited by HAL9000

try looking for your lima beans at Rimping market. They probably have both dried and canned lima beans. If you want o ship a case of lima beans to Thailand it will probably cost you $20 a can before customs is through with you. I had a small bottle of perscription medicaton UPS'ed from the US to Thailand and before it was over it cost me $275 dollars in shipping and customs fees.. UPS added another $75 for delivery from Bangkok to Pattaya on top of the customs fees. I think in the end some customs officer would really enjoy your lima beans before the dust settled..

Edited by jimjel

Thanks for the suggestions. I've asked about lima beans in the past and tracked down leads for Rim Ping in Chiang Mai and Villa in Bangkok -- those aren't lima beans, but old world beans of another name, which I can't remember now. I wrote down the name and looked them up on the internet. Nope, not the same. The generations-old "rule" at our Thanksgiving is that all the food items have to have New World origin. (not North American, just New World) We make an exception for butter and cheese -- that concept came from Europe, and we're probably bending the rules in drinking South American wine, nope no Old World beans.

Yes, I suspect I'll pay about $150 for USPS, but heck it's Thanksgiving. Thanks for the suggestions. USPS was my instinct.

"Regular" U.S. citizens don't have access to the commissary at the U.S. Embassy and I'm a regular U.S. citizen. I invited to the Embassy for a meeting and they let me into the commissary to "look around", mainly to help select a few items that would be used for give-aways at a consular function in Chiang Mai. Of course my host wondered why I thought college aged Thai kids would be interested in receiving cans of vegetables as a door prize.

Edited by NancyL

Hello All, NancyL, how can a bean from Peru, South America, be intwined

with Turkey Day? After 60+ years of being able to choose what I eat, I still

leave the beans named after the capital of of Peru on my plate when done.

rice555

As Nancy will most likely tell you they are beans named after Lima, Ohio, USA, pronounced L - iiiiii - ma, not after he capital of Peru, pronounced L - eeee - ma! They are L-iii-ma beans, not L-eeee-ma beans.

• Like 1

If you find what you think are lima beans in Thai food, they are most likely satow kow or "stink beans". They are flavorful but leave you with a definite case of bad breath! They are long green twisted pods that have 12 -15 beans in them. They are most popular in the south.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've asked about lima beans in the past and tracked down leads for Rim Ping in Chiang Mai and Villa in Bangkok -- those aren't lima beans, but old world beans of another name, which I can't remember now. I wrote down the name and looked them up on the internet. Nope, not the same. The generations-old "rule" at our Thanksgiving is that all the food items have to have New World origin. (not North American, just New World) We make an exception for butter and cheese -- that concept came from Europe, and we're probably bending the rules in drinking South American wine, nope no Old World beans.

Yes, I suspect I'll pay about $150 for USPS, but heck it's Thanksgiving. Thanks for the suggestions. USPS was my instinct.

"Regular" U.S. citizens don't have access to the commissary at the U.S. Embassy and I'm a regular U.S. citizen. I invited to the Embassy for a meeting and they let me into the commissary to "look around", mainly to help select a few items that would be used for give-aways at a consular function in Chiang Mai. Of course my host wondered why I thought college aged Thai kids would be interested in receiving cans of vegetables as a door prize.

Why not import Dried Lima Beans and save on the import weight! and maybe later on try growing some

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=buy+dried+lima+beans&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB549GB549&oq=buing+dried+butter+beans&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l4.24235j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Incidently Lima Beans are known as Butter Beans in the UK,and are known as Lima Beans because of Peru's success in growing them.

Here, at long last, is my question: will there be problems with Thai customs in bringing canned lima beans into the country. Am I better off requesting shipment via DHL/UPS/FedEx or is USPS Global Priority Mail better?

This question/topic, obviously not specific to "canned lima beans", that's a first, has come often, as you can imagine, and there have been many, many, many first-hand experiences. My vaguest recollection is that FedEx is by far the worst re: requiring you to pat VAT/Excise/Duty. And UPS/TNT/DHL have gotten poor marks in some posts. But then often, people get stuff delivered straight away without any additional taxes/fees/duty, so it can be a crap-shoot.

U.S.P.S. Global Priority, or Flat Rate, seems to get decent reviews. I think a lot will depend on where/when (exactly) your shipment arrives as to how it might eventually be routed.

I can see some potential issues re: importing food products which might raise additional hurdles? I might ask the mail forwarder to break the case down into two or more separate shipments, assuming you don't need all 12 cans for your holiday succotash recipe, which might insure at least one gets through Thai Post/Customs?

I bring back (in checked bags/boxes) a lot of similar "food products" on my frequent trips to the U.S., and have never had an issue at SBIA/BKK Customs.

• Like 1

Excuse Me for being wrong:

Phaseolus lunatus is of Andean and Mesoamerican origin. Two separate domestication events are believed to have occurred. The first, taking place in the Andes around 2000 BC,[1] produced a large-seeded variety (Lima type), while the second, taking place in Mesoamerica around AD 800, produced a small-seeded variety (Sieva type).[1] By around 1300, cultivation had spread north of the Rio Grande, and in the 1500s, the plant began to be cultivated in the Old World.[1]

The small-seeded wild form (Sieva type) is found distributed from Mexico to Argentina, generally below 1,600 metres (5,200 ft) above sea level, while the large-seeded wild form (Lima type) is found distributed in the north ofPeru, from 320 to 2,030 metres (1,050 to 6,660 ft) above sea level.[citation needed]

The Moche Culture (1-800 AD) cultivated all of the lima beans and often depicted them in their art.[2] During the Spanish Viceroyalty of Peru, lima beans were exported to the rest of the Americas and Europe, and since the boxes of such goods had their place of origin labeled "LimaPeru", the beans got named as such.

The term "butter bean" is widely utilised for a large, flat and yellow/white variety of lima bean (P. lunatus var.macrocarpus, or P. limensis[3]).

In some Southern United States areas the Sieva type are traditionally called butter beans, also otherwise known as the Dixie or Henderson type. In that area, lima beans and butter beans are seen as two distinct types of beans.

In Spain it is called "garrofón" and constitutes one of the main ingredients of the famous Valencian Paella.

In the United Kingdom,and some areas in the American South, "butter beans" refers to either dried beans which can be purchased to re-hydrate, or the canned variety which are ready to use. In culinary use there, lima beans and butter beans are distinct, the latter being large and yellow, the former small and green. In areas where both are considered to be lima beans, the green variety may be labelled as "baby" (and less commonly "junior") limas.

rice555

As Nancy will most likely tell you they are beans named after Lima, Ohio, USA, pronounced L - iiiiii - ma, not after he capital of Peru, pronounced L - eeee - ma! They are L-iii-ma beans, not L-eeee-ma beans.

Excuse Me for being wrong:

Phaseolus lunatus is of Andean and Mesoamerican origin. Two separate domestication events are believed to have occurred. The first, taking place in the Andes around 2000 BC,[1] produced a large-seeded variety (Lima type), while the second, taking place in Mesoamerica around AD 800, produced a small-seeded variety (Sieva type).[1] By around 1300, cultivation had spread north of the Rio Grande, and in the 1500s, the plant began to be cultivated in the Old World.[1]

The small-seeded wild form (Sieva type) is found distributed from Mexico to Argentina, generally below 1,600 metres (5,200 ft) above sea level, while the large-seeded wild form (Lima type) is found distributed in the north ofPeru, from 320 to 2,030 metres (1,050 to 6,660 ft) above sea level.[citation needed]

The Moche Culture (1-800 AD) cultivated all of the lima beans and often depicted them in their art.[2] During the Spanish Viceroyalty of Peru, lima beans were exported to the rest of the Americas and Europe, and since the boxes of such goods had their place of origin labeled "LimaPeru", the beans got named as such.

The term "butter bean" is widely utilised for a large, flat and yellow/white variety of lima bean (P. lunatus var.macrocarpus, or P. limensis[3]).

In some Southern United States areas the Sieva type are traditionally called butter beans, also otherwise known as the Dixie or Henderson type. In that area, lima beans and butter beans are seen as two distinct types of beans.

In Spain it is called "garrofón" and constitutes one of the main ingredients of the famous Valencian Paella.

In the United Kingdom,and some areas in the American South, "butter beans" refers to either dried beans which can be purchased to re-hydrate, or the canned variety which are ready to use. In culinary use there, lima beans and butter beans are distinct, the latter being large and yellow, the former small and green. In areas where both are considered to be lima beans, the green variety may be labelled as "baby" (and less commonly "junior") limas.

rice555

I never said that you were wrong! Read the words that I highlighted in the quote above! You are 100 % correct and didn't mean to imply that you were wrong, only how to pronounce the name.

Yes, I knew they originated in South America. Presumably, cultivation had spread to North America by the time of the first Thanksgiving. The area around L iiii ma, Ohio is especially well-suited to growing lima beans, which is where my Dad's family settled, shortly after the American Revolution. Thus, the long-standing tradition of lima beans being featured in the family Thanksgiving feast.

Admittedly canned and rehydrated dried lima beans can be very tasteless. But, fresh limas, lightly cooked and served with lots of butter and black pepper are a delight! Especially when cooked with smoked ham. Recently, Hubby was part of little team of Great Lakes U.S. guys who gathered to make various products from a pig. Their smoked ham was superb and will be perfect with these lima beans -- assuming I get them.

As for the suggestions to actually import dried lima beans -- no thanks. I can buy them here and they aren't remotely the same as fresh lima beans. Actually, I've found fresh endamame beans work better with corn and smoked ham, but I can't wrap my head around the idea of using a Japanese legume in the Thanksgiving meal.

Edited by NancyL

Hello All, wasn't Ohio settled about 80+ years after the first T-Day?

Mostly by trappers, the Pilgrims almost starved to death their first

winter, let alone knowing how to grow beans.

The pic is from today at The Mall, Korat, McGarrett brand of packaged

lima beans, I buy their pinto beans, lentils and split peas, almonds

and a few other items. www.pea-lentil.com

If you want to plan ahead for next year and grow your own, try the

Vermont Bean Co. for seed, or for good bulk seed and they will

ship by USPS to LOS, see the second pic for info. Google Burrell's

in CO, have had good service from them.

Have a Happy T-Day

rice555

post-37242-0-18746000-1383749361_thumb.j

post-37242-0-01368900-1383749388_thumb.p

I've seen canned butter beans (another name for Limas) at the local Big C, but it's hit or miss. Sometimes they'll have a clearance table full of discounted western food that they can't sell, and I'll cash in. Other times they've got nothing. As Shepsel said, it's a matter of where and when you go. There is absolutely no consistency in stocking food here.

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree USPS 'seems' to have less customs problems when you ship food. As for Lima Beans, I bought a can yesterday in Tops Market in Khon Kaen, so you may want to check that out before going through the expense of shipping.

O the subject of Thanksgiving anyone got a good recipe for stuffing?

Since you say you have things being shipped to FL, I suspect you are using either ReShip or MyUS. That would also tend to make me urge USPS. I use MyUS and they seem to have a devil of a job using the right commodity code when then ship via Fedex, which forces things into a customs hold. I am now on first name terms with the Fedex rep in BKK

Edited by GinBoy2