For house owners

expatsupreme

I want to ask you do you all live in gated communities? Are there many rberries if you live outside gated community house with no security?

And what you need to do to not get robbed, burglar will for sure take my laptop that I need for work, so I am obsessing with this problem, how to protect my belongings, at least my laptop, I dont care about other things so much against potential robbers if I buy a house in CM?

Is having 2 dogs the only way? Because I travel a lot and I would not be in CM all the time

I want to ask you do you all live in gated communities?  Are there many rberries if you live outside gated community house with no security?

And what you need to do to not get robbed, burglar will for sure take my laptop that I need for work, so I am obsessing with this problem, how to protect my belongings, at least my laptop, I dont care about other things so much against potential robbers if I buy a house in CM?

Is having 2 dogs the only way? Because I travel a lot and I would not be in CM all the time

If someone wants to beak in, dogs are not a deterrent. 4 days of throwing poisoned meat over the fence and the dogs are no longer an issue. This from experience.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You cannot live in fear of been burgled as there is not much

you can do about it,and living on a gated estate offers limited

security,as some of the guards could be involved,or tip off their

friends to when you are out.and they sleep at night !.

People say put bars on the windows,I don't agree with that at all,

first off they can still get in,plus I would rather loose a few possessions,

that can be replaced,than to have me and my family end up as crisps

because we could not get out the house easily in case of a fire !.

Simple things you can do, don't rent a corner house,thats a target,

leave the radio on when you go out,lights on at night,shoes outside

the door,don't lock your gate on outside when you go out.

you have dogs thats another plus. Thieves are looking for an easy in

and out,so do the above and they will most likely go next door or down

the road.I have been doing those things plus few others and have never

been burgled in any country I have lived in (25 years in Thailand), oh

and get one of those small safes,to put your valuables in and bolt it

to the wall inside the ceiling ,if you have those removable tiles.

regards Worgeordie

The most common way of breaking into a house (so I am told) is they simply lift 4 roof tiles, which most houses have, and enter through the ceiling hatch.As a result all the window bars and security doors in the world wont help, not a deterrent to a semi professional thief. The crime rate here seems remarkably low.Insure everything but beware of the clause, sometimes in the fine print, that says if you are away from the house for more than 7 consecutive days the insurance is null and void. Worgeordie comments are very valid.

I live in a very reputable gated community. I have absolutely no fear we'll be burgled. I often go for a bike ride and leave the doors and windows open with nobody in the house. I feel 100% secure. It's worth living in one for the piece of mind.

I have a house about 14 kilometers outside of CM and haven't lived there for 5 years (having lived in the U.S.. I have a caretaker that has lived there for 3 years but, more importantly, have neighbors that I know and trust and who look after the house. It's not in a mooban.

When I did my house hunting about 2 years ago, I was shown a house about 1 km away from a main road. The house was nice, only about 4 or 5 houses around in a large area surrounding by rice field. It was not expensive. I asked the agent about the security - robbery, etc. The agent told me it's ok cos CM, unlike some other cities, were quite free from such crimes. Well, I took his words for it, but I didn't buy the house cos I would need to travel 1 km on a 2 lane road with ditches on the sides. What if I got drunk one day driving home? You may just get unlucky one time and that was enough to do you in.

Better be in a gated community close to the main road. That's what I got in CM! I did the same in Bangkok, living in a gated community, and sold the plot I initially bought (using my friend 's wife's name) in an isolate location to build a house.

Btw, why don't you store all the vital information in thumb drives?

When I did my house hunting about 2 years ago, I was shown a house about 1 km away from a main road. The house was nice, only about 4 or 5 houses around in a large area surrounding by rice field. It was not expensive. I asked the agent about the security - robbery, etc. The agent told me it's ok cos CM, unlike some other cities, were quite free from such crimes. Well, I took his words for it, but I didn't buy the house cos I would need to travel 1 km on a 2 lane road with ditches on the sides. What if I got drunk one day driving home? You may just get unlucky one time and that was enough to do you in.

Better be in a gated community close to the main road. That's what I got in CM! I did the same in Bangkok, living in a gated community, and sold the plot I initially bought (using my friend 's wife's name) in an isolate location to build a house.

can you get a house for like 1,2 milion bht?

are there any flooods in chiangmai, i dont want to see my tv and laptop float away?

are there any flooods in chiangmai, i dont want to see my tv and laptop float away?

I looked on the internet for houses before I came to CM to look at them. I think I saw some bungalows, 2 bedrooms, one bath, in a moobaan (village) called Wontong, or something, that's in the range of 1.2m. I don't know if it's still in that range. Then, I was looking for a 4 bedrooms and 4 baths (ensuite) for under a mil. I found it, but it was over my planned budget! I accepted it anyway.

Edited by muchogra

I looked on the internet for houses before I came to CM to look at them. I think I saw some bungalows, 2 bedrooms, one bath, in a moobaan (village) called Wontong, or something, that's in the range of 1.2m. I don't know if it's still in that range. Then, I was looking for a 4 bedrooms and 4 baths (ensuite) for under a mil. I found it, but it was over my planned budget! I accepted it anyway.

4 bdr house? for under million, is it in bad condition?

I was checking bahtsold and I think all the houses are overpriced there, where to look for a house?

And if you have a safe, are you sure the burglar cant lock pick it? Or break it?

What if I got drunk one day driving home?

Adds a new dimension to the phrase "drinking and driving".

My first encounter with CM's finest cost me about B15,000. But that was OK because they came back and drove me home after they towed my car away, and later on invited me to a drink. That's much better when they said B300,000 when they saw me in an accident. I literally told them to suck on their mama's tits!

We live in an older Gated Community and left our house full of all the furnishings etc., when we moved abroad for about 4 years. We had my wife's family check the house and Mail box every week and had someone attend to the small garden,

Not a problem....... not even an ATTEMPTED break-in. The Security guys do regular patrols day and night and we've even had the odd complaint from delivery-people about getting past the Guard houses. We now have two dogs but I can't see either of them ripping out the throat of any would-be burglar. (or would they????)

I'm not going to tell you about our internal security and I'm not even going to mention which Gated Community we live in. No point in inviting trouble!

4 bdr house? for under million, is it in bad condition?

I was checking bahtsold and I think all the houses are overpriced there, where to look for a house?

And if you have a safe, are you sure the burglar cant lock pick it? Or break it?

Do you have trouble understanding English?

You are lucky you dont live in some areas of the UK,

where you would be guaranteed to have your house

burgled,not once but several times,and unlike in Thailand

where they take what they want and leave,over there

a good chance your house would be trashed ,just for

the fun of it ,and a big pile of shit left on your living

room floor!

You don't need a big safe or a Chubb, just a small one

hidden away, you can also find a place to hide your

laptop,its all about time, the burglar wants to spend as

little as possible in your house,so if your stuff is hidden well

and not left in open ,you should be OK, you worry about

something that may never happen.

regards Worgeordie

Buy an easy-to-crack, in-sight safe with a pound of poo in there, and tuck the laptop away in the ceiling of a night. Never had a problem in our neighbourhood, no bars and have left doors unlocked/open myriad times... the latter I would not do back home. ;-)

My normal precautions for casual B&E types:

- I leave one light on inside plus outside lights at front and back door, every night, all night

- if going to be back late also leave tv on with med volume

- extreme valuables (investment gold/silver) in bank safety deposit box

- house has window security bars, front and back doors quite solid/secure

There are no guarantees anywhere in the world, but generally potential thieves case out an area (drive around) and will likely target a house in shadows so they can move about unseen IMO. My thinking is that if there are no vehicles in the driveway you better have your tv or radio left on otherwise you will look like prime pickings. Exterior light on front door comes on automatically at dark, will be setting up the back door with autolight in the near future, but we do keep it lit all night every night anyway.

A "pro" will be able to bypass the above, but also a pro will go after the easy stuff if all else is comparable. I see many expensive homes in my area that are almost totally dark at night. A mistake IMO.

Doug

so all I need is a big freaknig safe, that cant be smashed or something

is somebody selling Chubb safes in Thailand?

It is annoying to put a laptop into a safe each time you go out, in my country nobody gets robed, at least in the city I live in

And which country is that then, because that's some kind of miracle. They chop your hands off in Saudi and people still steal.

We live in a small village and its a community in fact one family seems to own most of the propertys in the village and everyone looks out for everyone. I dont have any bars and it would be easy to break in but if that happened we would have an armed response within seconds which is the head of the village who is also government and he lives right next door we get on great not only with him but everyone in the village.

We are part of the community and treated as such.

Edited by DiamondKing