Airbus calls for minimum seat width.

yermanee

Ergonomic studies, for years already, indicate that an 18 inch seat width might be suitable on short hauls up to 3 hours.

Anything less is suitable for flights up to 1 hour.

Flights more as 3 hours should have seats of around 20 inches.

Most companies treat the economy passengers as cattle.

Eleven seats in a row means creating a hazardous situation for passengers.

Anything more a four seats coupled together will mean that in an emergency people will potentially not be able to decide which way to leave the seats, creating more chaos and potentially more deaths.

The ideal seatwidth for longer distances is 60 centimeter, around 24 inches, the length of the seat should be at least 55 cm while the legroom should be at least 32 cm, but preferably 35 cm for people to be able to pass each other.

Anything less is potentially a safety hazard.

Ergonomic studies, for years already, indicate that an 18 inch seat width might be suitable on short hauls up to 3 hours.

Anything less is suitable for flights up to 1 hour.

Flights more as 3 hours should have seats of around 20 inches.

Eleven seats in a row means creating a hazardous situation for passengers.

Anything more a four seats coupled together will mean that in an emergency people will potentially not be able to decide which way to leave the seats, creating more chaos and potentially more deaths.

The ideal seatwidth for longer distances is 60 centimeter, around 24 inches, the length of the seat should be at least 55 cm while the legroom should be at least 32 cm, but preferably 35 cm for people to be able to pass each other.

Anything less is potentially a safety hazard.

so my best advice is to avoid Etihad on economy class. Do it once, and will never travel again with them (even on Biz class).

The 12 hours total journey was a real nightmare, it was like i was traveling in a over crowded train trought all India.

The leg on the boeing 777 with their 10(or 11) seats row nearly led me to suicide.

Next time will try Oman air, i did read the positive feedback from Yermanee.

You get what you pay for. Cattle class is cheap. If you want more space, then pay for a seat with more space. Simple. If the gave everyone in cattle class more space, it would no longer be cattle class, and prices would have to rise.

Makes me laugh that so many book a seat with little space and then complain about the lack of space. Well that's what they booked, so what do they expect.

You get what you pay for. Cattle class is cheap. If you want more space, then pay for a seat with more space. Simple. If the gave everyone in cattle class more space, it would no longer be cattle class, and prices would have to rise.

Makes me laugh that so many book a seat with little space and then complain about the lack of space. Well that's what they booked, so what do they expect.

What an arrogant "Let them eat cake" attitude! The obvious issue is that to pay for a seat with more space, it usually means upgrading to Business Class and paying a differential that is typically 2x-5x the cost of economy seating. And most carriers don't even offer a true Premium Economy seating option (a different, wider seat than economy.) I'd pay an extra 10%-20% for reasonable comfort and personal space if they offered me the option.

Is it any wonder there are all the incidents on airliners these days of people snapping and throwing tantrums in flight?

• Like 2

What an arrogant "Let them eat cake" attitude! The obvious issue is that to pay for a seat with more space, it usually means upgrading to Business Class and paying a differential that is typically 2x-5x the cost of economy seating. And most carriers don't even offer a true Premium Economy seating option (a different, wider seat than economy.) I'd pay an extra 10%-20% for reasonable comfort and personal space if they offered me the option.

Is it any wonder there are all the incidents on airliners these days of people snapping and throwing tantrums in flight?

Exactly. Either sit in discomfort for hours on end or pay through the nose for premium classes with a bed and a load of unnecessary extras and virtually nothing in between. Premium economy is the best option for me. But you have to be willing to pay hundreds more to be as comfortable as a small person in economy.