Remembrance Day - please take the time to remember and honour them

David48

Given that it's 3 days before that auspicious day ... maybe a timely reminder.

Time to Remember ... wai.gif

If you were planning an Event, or attending an Event.

Make the effort ... those around you will appreciate your support.

My Dad was regular Army - a Transport Sergeant.

Saw service in Europe (briefly, I don't know where), Nth Africa and Papua NewGuinea.

He couldn't say enough kind words about the 'Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels'.

• Like 1

Saw service in Europe (briefly, I don't know where), Nth Africa and Papua NewGuinea.

A famous poem by Sapper Bert Beros which illustrates the effort shown by the Fuzzy Wuzzy Angels:

The Fuzzy Wuzzies

Many a mother in Australia when the busy day is done, Sends a prayer to the Almighty for the keeping of her son; Asking that an Angel guide him and bring him safely back - Now we see those prayers are answered on the Owen Stanley track. For they haven't any haloes only holes slashed through the ear And their faces worked by tattoos with scratch pins in their hair: Bringing back the badly wounded just as steady as a horse, Using leaves to keep the rain off and as gentle as a nurse Slow and careful in bad places on the awful mountain track The look upon their faces Would make you think that Christ was black Not a move to hurt the wounded as they treat him like a saint It's a picture worth recording that an artist's yet to paint Many a lad will see his mother and husbands see their wives Just because the fuzzy wuzzy carried them to save their lives From mortar bombs and machine gun fire or chance surprise attacks To the safety and the care of doctors at the bottom of the track May the mothers of Australia when they offer up a prayer. Mention these impromptu angels with their fuzzy wuzzy hair
  • Like 1

I can honor them but the first world war was an insane waste of life fought over nothing, it would have been better if nobody had given their lives up to fight in it. Needless slaughter caused by nationalism and politicians should never be romanticised or sentimentalised, it was a horror that could easily have been avoided.

Edited by sms747
  • Like 2

I can honor them but the first world war was an insane waste of life fought over nothing, it would have been better if nobody had given their lives up to fight in it. Needless slaughter caused by nationalism and politicians should never be romanticised or sentimentalised, it was a horror that could easily have been avoided.

no need to romanticize the war and its causes , but the day is for honouring the poor buggers that had to die for the mistakes made by the empire builders.

• Like 1

This year, I will wear a poppy for the last time

I will remember friends and comrades in private next year, as the solemnity of remembrance has been twisted into a justification for conflict

Poppies-008.jpg

Over the last 10 years the sepia tone of November has become blood-soaked with paper poppies festooning the lapels of our politicians, newsreaders and business leaders. The most fortunate in our society have turned the solemnity of remembrance for fallen soldiers in ancient wars into a justification for our most recent armed conflicts. The American civil war's General Sherman once said that "war is hell", but unfortunately today's politicians in Britain use past wars to bolster our flagging belief in national austerity or to compel us to surrender our rights as citizens, in the name of the public good.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/08/poppy-last-time-remembrance-harry-leslie-smith

yes the politicians and generals sit in their nice offices while the normal people die. And to motivate them they get some stories about duty, honor, protecting their country.

Actually the real honor, duty and right thing to protect their country for soldiers would be to put a bullet into the head of every politician that want to start a war.

If someone thinks that sounds extreme. Google how many people died in WW I and WW II for just nothing 5 bullets couldn't have fixed.

xx Millions of young men and women died for just some idi0tic leaders.

• Like 1

i do not know why some people call it the Kokoda trail when it is theKokoda track even on google they call if trail trail is a american term they came after the diggers done most of the work

I will remember friends and comrades in private next year, as the solemnity of remembrance has been twisted into a justification for conflict

Poppies-008.jpg

Over the last 10 years the sepia tone of November has become blood-soaked with paper poppies festooning the lapels of our politicians, newsreaders and business leaders. The most fortunate in our society have turned the solemnity of remembrance for fallen soldiers in ancient wars into a justification for our most recent armed conflicts. The American civil war's General Sherman once said that "war is hell", but unfortunately today's politicians in Britain use past wars to bolster our flagging belief in national austerity or to compel us to surrender our rights as citizens, in the name of the public good.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/08/poppy-last-time-remembrance-harry-leslie-smith

I agree. War is for suckers!!!

• Like 2

Poppies-008.jpg

not sure about your country , but the proceeds from poppy sales are used for charitable work so i will continue to buy them. i dont care what posturing others do

• Like 1

Can someone explain why the UK celebrates Remembrance 'Sunday' rather then Remembrance 'Day'?

Or do you recognise both?

For all the naysayers please ... start your own thread.

Let the proper respect be paid here ... thanks.

saves givin the workers more paid time off i suppose