DMT course in Koh Tao or Koh someplace...

CaptainKitty

I have been diving a few times in Koh Tao, I also completed my PADI rescue diver with Pheonix. I liked the people and the rates, but last time I went to do my DMT their incentive was if I put the deposit for the books down I got free dives. I didn't have a month to complete my DMT so I had intended to just start studying the material and getting dives in, when the manager decided this policy didn't hold anymore because they couldn't guarantee that I'd complete the course. I did understand the logic, but after over a year of diving with the company I had hoped for a little more leeway from them.

I returned my books, left the resort and skipped across the island to try diving elsewhere.

Now I'm back with every intention to get my DMT, but I no longer hold loyalty to Pheonix (I am stubborn, forgive but don't forget) so I'm interested in exploring other options.

I had heard that BANS shits out DMT's like cheap dive shops dish out open water certs, and after speaking with a few people heard that I wouldn't have a shot at getting freelance work if I did my course there.

I also don't really want to go somewhere where I'll be overwhelmed with 4000 other divers as I try to increase my experience, learn and grow towards becoming a better diver.

Is there any dive spots in Koh Tao, or any other island for that matter, that still has the range of 30k baht and doesn't hold large classes?

I was thinking about Big Blue because I've heard great things, but they are pretty packed. I don't like crowds.
Also, what's the incentive? A few places offer lifetime free dives, guaranteed work, etc etc... I went diving with a place I can't for the life of me remember who they were but they offered 150 free dives with the DMT or something along the lines. They were VERY nice, quiet, nice boat, used private locations but hotel about 3x my budget and the course was 10k baht more.

I'm open to hearing suggestions and experiences of others!

I plan to take my course in February or March this year. err, next year, whatever year it is. You know what I mean.