PayPal account in Thailand,how to do?

worgeordie

>How easy is it to set up a PayPal account in Thailand,?

If you tie the Paypal account to a credit card that has a mail address in Thailand then the set up is easy. I have done so for an account based offshore but with a mailing address in Thailand.

But almost impossible to do when your bank account is in another country but you are in Thailand. I gave up.

It must depend on the account type? I have two accounts in US, a country I have never visited, and an account in UK and all allow me to have a mailing address in Thailand whereas originally they were opened with mailing addresses in their respective countries. Perhaps things have changed, as my accounts all over 10 years old.

Go to paypal.co.th , enter your details and register , go to add bank account , enter bank name and acc number , PayPal will then send 2 very small payments to this account (usually satang) , wait a week or so for these payments to be deposited into your bank account and make a note of the 2 amounts , log into PayPal and click the confirm bank account link , enter the exact amounts PayPal deposited into your bank account and click confirm , your PayPal and bank Thai bank account are now linked smile.png

A PayPal account regd at Thai PayPal can only have a Thai bank acc and vice versa for PayPal UK with UK bank acc ..... exchange rates in PP are always 1-2 baht lower than XE

Better rates and a lot simpler to just use bank transfers from UK to Thai smile.png

and then the scammer has all your details. I have used PayPal for quite a while. Got the email about the small deposits...went straight to junk folder. Never had a problem with PayPal.

No doubt some Nigerian is p!ssed off at me.

Edited by Mudcrab

I set up a paypal account to buy something online in EU to have delivered there. Paypal was easy to set up using thai credit card and goods were sent swiftly. I did try it first using a US credit card but panicked when it came to pin code, imagining how to get a older relative to tell me the pin code swiftly enough and gave me the wrong pin code :)

If you tie the Paypal account to a credit card that has a mail address in Thailand then the set up is easy. I have done so for an account based offshore but with a mailing address in Thailand.

But almost impossible to do when your bank account is in another country but you are in Thailand. I gave up.

It must depend on the account type? I have two accounts in US, a country I have never visited, and an account in UK and all allow me to have a mailing address in Thailand whereas originally they were opened with mailing addresses in their respective countries. Perhaps things have changed, as my accounts all over 10 years old.

PayPal requires an address and bank account for the specific country where your PayPal account is 'based'. You can add credit or debit cards to that account once it is verified by PayPal with several small deposits to your bank account.

In TH, if you have a BBK Bank account and receive funds from US, the funds can go to the BBK Bank in NYC and be transferred to your TH branch at quite good exchange rates.

It's breeze easy. I have a PayPal account using a U.S. address, but I could not send money from it to my bank account in Thailand at Krung Thai Bank. I set up another account with another email address and entered a Thai street address. I was able to open the account no problem. Then I transferred money from the PayPal account that I just opened to my Krung Thai bank account. It took 5 days.

There are other posts about this that will walk you through the process. I did it myself by reading the posts here on the Thai Visa forum.

Then open a Thai account.

Ooops, I know you Hawai Bob.....'The Land of the Free' don't make it easy, do they! :D

Seriously Bob, I don't know how you manage without a local account considering how long you have been here.

I have my Thai account verified now but I like to have also a foreign account. Because I am not registered in Holland anymore I can not open a account there. Anymore suggestions ? I am good in building guitars but banking is not my strong point .......... Sorry to bother you all.

Easiest way:

Open Kasikorn Bank account (best in a tourism area, where they are used to us aliens) with internet banking.

Than register the Web shopping card (or similar named).

There you get a virtuell Visa that works well.

Above is the system I used many years ago to set up my PayPal. Works well. Every few years when your Kasikorn virtual CC expires Paypal will ask for new one. Just wait for Kasikorn to update your virtual card and then inform Paypal of the new expiry date and CVV. Note the card number does NOT change so you don't have to go through the verification again. If you suspend your Kasikorn virtual CC it gets cancelled and you have to request a new one which means you have to go through the verification process again with PayPal. Keep the Kasikorn card at its lowest value, baht 1,000, and increase it only when you're about to use it and reduce it down again after the transaction has processed. That minimizes/eliminates fraudulent charges. You'll probably also need to sign up for Verified By Visa which sends a password to your mobile phone which you have to enter on the web page before the transaction goes through. So if you're buying while outside of Thailand make sure your Thai SIM is in the phone and that it's international roaming enabled.

I have my Thai account verified now but I like to have also a foreign account. Because I am not registered in Holland anymore I can not open a account there. Anymore suggestions ? I am good in building guitars but banking is not my strong point .......... Sorry to bother you all.

A Thai PayPal account handles many different currencies including Euro.

If you receive Euro you can spend Euro: you are not obliged to go through the baht.

I don't need a PayPal account for transferring funds,but to buy and pay for anything I need

from Ebay as example.

regards Worgeordie

Hi, I have a paypal account registered to a credit card in my home country (recent;y renewed) to which I've added a second delivery address in Thailand. I switch between the two for delivery depending on where I want the ebay goods sent. Have had different items sent from HK, China, USA to Thailnd without any problem.