PayPal account in Thailand,how to do?

worgeordie

My understanding is PayPal would give you their exchange rate and they will convert the funds from your home country currency to baht (you got no choice)...the PayPal exchange rate is several percent lower than exchange rates like the Thai bank TT Buying Rate used for incoming wire transfers. It's kinda like how you've probably seen numerous posts about not letting your home country bank convert to baht before/while sending due to the lower exchange rate you will get. It will vary by currency as to how many percent lower the PayPal exchange rate will be from me playing around with the PayPal exchange rate page before under a person's PayPal account. Using PayPal is far from the lowest cost method of sending funds from your home country to Thailand due to the lower exchange rate...and I guess in some cases there also may be a separate transfer fee. If PayPal was the way to go for foreign funds transfers, we would all be doing it and it would be a well known fact.

My understanding is PayPal would give you their exchange rate and they will convert the funds from your home country currency to baht (you got no choice)...the PayPal exchange rate is several percent lower than exchange rates like the Thai bank TT Buying Rate used for incoming wire transfers. It's kinda like how you've probably seen numerous posts about not letting your home country bank convert to baht before/while sending due to the lower exchange rate you will get. It will vary by currency as to how many percent lower the PayPal exchange rate will be from me playing around with the PayPal exchange rate page before under a person's PayPal account. Using PayPal is far from the lowest cost method of sending funds from your home country to Thailand due to the lower exchange rate...and I guess in some cases there also may be a separate transfer fee. If PayPal was the way to go for foreign funds transfers, we would all be doing it and it would be a well known fact.

I don't need a PayPal account for transferring funds,but to buy and pay for anything I need

from Ebay as example.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

>How easy is it to set up a PayPal account in Thailand,?

If you tie the Paypal account to a credit card that has a mail address in Thailand then the set up is easy. I have done so for an account based offshore but with a mailing address in Thailand.

But almost impossible to do when your bank account is in another country but you are in Thailand. I gave up.

• Like 1

Go to paypal.co.th , enter your details and register , go to add bank account , enter bank name and acc number , PayPal will then send 2 very small payments to this account (usually satang) , wait a week or so for these payments to be deposited into your bank account and make a note of the 2 amounts , log into PayPal and click the confirm bank account link , enter the exact amounts PayPal deposited into your bank account and click confirm , your PayPal and bank Thai bank account are now linked :)

A PayPal account regd at Thai PayPal can only have a Thai bank acc and vice versa for PayPal UK with UK bank acc ..... exchange rates in PP are always 1-2 baht lower than XE

Better rates and a lot simpler to just use bank transfers from UK to Thai :)

Edited by thatguyagain

Easiest way:

Open Kasikorn Bank account (best in a tourism area, where they are used to us aliens) with internet banking.

Than register the Web shopping card (or similar named).

There you get a virtuell Visa that works well.

But attention Paypal makes problems if for example: you sell something for 500 USD. and 2 days later you take out say 300 USD, because they are afraid to loose money in case the buyer fills a complain.

I did it this way too. Pretty straightforward to do.

So far I didn't have problems with withdrawing money, but they keep asking me if I'm an American citizen and subjected to American tax law. After answering no for the 5th time, I'm getting pissed off now.

If you sell something, they'll take about 4.5% of the transferred money.

paypal also holds your payment for 21 days if you sell something

this stops after about 1 month ,

Leave 2-3000 baht in your paypal account to refund if you are selling stuff , so far that has kept them happy ,

plus it also takes a few days to transfer funds from your paypal account to your personal Thai account

the above was a Thai , opening a paypal account with thai address and thai debit card

Go to paypal.co.th , enter your details and register , go to add bank account , enter bank name and acc number , PayPal will then send 2 very small payments to this account (usually satang) , wait a week or so for these payments to be deposited into your bank account and make a note of the 2 amounts , log into PayPal and click the confirm bank account link , enter the exact amounts PayPal deposited into your bank account and click confirm , your PayPal and bank Thai bank account are now linked smile.png

A PayPal account regd at Thai PayPal can only have a Thai bank acc and vice versa for PayPal UK with UK bank acc ..... exchange rates in PP are always 1-2 baht lower than XE

Better rates and a lot simpler to just use bank transfers from UK to Thai smile.png

The above is 100% accurate with one addition. You can add a US, UK or any Visa or MasterCard account as well.

I use PP and when the listing is in US $ I use my US CC. Doing so saves quite a bit as PP will charge you or the seller to convert the money.

Easiest way:

Open Kasikorn Bank account (best in a tourism area, where they are used to us aliens) with internet banking.

But attention Paypal makes problems if for example: you sell something for 500 USD. and 2 days later you take out say 300 USD, because they are afraid to loose money in case the buyer fills a complain.

+1... This is exactly the same method I have used.

Start a Kasikorn Account. Register your Mobile Phone number with them and register for internet banking: you will need the phone to set up their "K-Web Shopping Card" which in if fact a virtual Visa Debit Card. Note you need the phone as they will send a 4 digit PIN to your phone for a few of the steps as security precautions.

This comment refers to setting up the K-Web Shopping Card and Internet banking only.

Once the above is done you can register this card with PayPal or simply register the K Bank Account with PayPal.

Worthwhile. Although PayPal frown on having separate accounts in different countries, I have one in VN, UK and TH and seems ok so far.

Initialially I and a friend mine had problems with linking a Thai, UK, or US bank account to PayPal with a Thai address. We both had to contact PayPal in Singapore. My friend was trying to link a UK bank account and I was trying to link a US bank account. We both also had Thai bank accounts and Thai addresses. They wanted additional information (copy of passport, and bank statement or utility bill showing proof of address) sent to them electronically. After PayPal confirmed the identity and address, it was very easy to add UK, US, or Thai bank accounts to PayPal. The same PayPal account (based on email address) is used. It doesn't matter what PayPal site (UK, US, or Thai) was used when creating the account your only provided different choices for entering bank account information based on the PayPal site.

You might want to call PayPal's customer service in Singapore. They're very helpful. Me and my friend used Skype. Emails weren't very effective.

Oh yes, your name on your PayPal account must exactly match the name on your bank accounts and passport. I had to have PayPal change my name on the account to include my middle name with the first name as the first name of the account as that was the way it was on my passport and Thai bank account.

A couple of years ago, PayPal made two small payments to verify an account. When I went to link a new account a couple months ago they deducted an amount less than 70 baht to verify the account. The amount was refunded when I did I verify the amount deducted. Even though I could use the Thai debit card in Thailand, I also had to go through the process of verifing the account through Visa and set the daily withdrawal limit (by default it was set to zero), as the verification charge failed. You'll have to contact you bank to change that.

The requirements are to help prevent international fraud and money laundering. By the way, any Thai bank account can be linked to PayPal, not just Kasikorn.

YMMV

Edited by BB1950

Easiest way:

I will be taking your advice on this H90, I had problems trying to set up an account with Bangkok bank. I have an online account with Kasikorn, and will look into the "web shopping card" that you mention. Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.

Easiest way:

So far I didn't have problems with withdrawing money, but they keep asking me if I'm an American citizen and subjected to American tax law. After answering no for the 5th time, I'm getting pissed off now.

Paypal are a very incompetent lot.

Easiest way:

Any other good way to protect buyer and seller ?

Easiest way:

Easiest way:

Not that I know of, but as I said, in my experience, Paypal are a very incompetent lot. Promised to help me, then another customer adviser, "Yes", no problem, Another customer adviser ' Sorry to here of your problem, I am here to help", another customer adviser "Blah blah blah" and so on, and so on. I just gave up.

Easiest way:

I will be taking your advice on this H90, I had problems trying to set up an account with Bangkok bank. I have an online account with Kasikorn, and will look into the "web shopping card" that you mention. Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit.

I have my PayPal account with a Bangkok Bank account. Just make sure you have enabled the verified with Visa set up. The Bankok Bank website has a web page to do this and also set the daily withdrawal limit set. You can change the limit using 1333 and follow the voice prompts.

It sounds like your problems are not just a PayPal issue.

Easiest way:

I have my PayPal account with a Bangkok Bank account. Just make sure you have enabled the verified with Visa set up. The Bankok Bank website has a web page to do this and also set the daily withdrawal limit set. You can change the limit using 1333 and follow the voice prompts.

It sounds like your problems are not just a PayPal issue.

Getting pushed from customer adviser to customer adviser so many times is a Paypal problem. If they could not help me, then the first CA should have told me, instead of passing from one CA to another all the time.