Outrageous Double Pricing in Thailand!

Stradavarius37

So you think it's OK for my daughter to pay less than half the tuition fees of her foreign friend because she is British and he isn't; but you consider having to pay a few baht more to use a toilet or enter an amusement park in Thailand to be racist.

How odd.

Not really relevant to this topic; but:-

Thailand is not the only country where foreigners cannot own land. Non Americans buying land in the USA is not as simple and straightforward as it is for Americans.

I have not, fortunately, myself been involved in an RTA in Thailand, but a friend of mine has. It was the Thai driver who was held to be at fault and prosecuted by the police, not my English friend. What happened in your case?

It is possible for a Brit married to a Thai to gain Thai nationality. Not as easy as the other way round, I'll grant you; but possible.

There's no such thing as racism in Thailand - you're either Thai or you're an Alien

Race doesn't come into it smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Yes, and in the UK you are either British or an alien.

In France you are either French or an alien.

Etc., etc., ad nauseum.

From the OED

Alien, noun:

1 a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where he or she is living

Again the farangs display their double standards and don't even feel a sense of irony. In most countries in the world you're either a citizen or an alien especially those countries with a single ethnicity. It's like this regardless if the country is majority european, asian or african yet somehow some ppl ignore it when a farang country like france does it but get offended when say thailand does it.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no such thing as racism in Thailand - you're either Thai or you're an Alien

Race doesn't come into it smile.png

Etc., etc., ad nauseum.

From the OED

Alien, noun:

1 a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where he or she is living

I doubt that any other country in the world but Thailand uses the word Alien, and use the word foreigner instead, which is in imo a more human expression.

Edited by jbrain

Firstly, it's not corruption, it's a reduction for the locals which is probably practiced in your country.

If I were working in a highland cow zoo and some foreigner said, ' do you have a toilet?' to prove he could speak English, I'd charge him more.

I went there with my family and said 2 adults and 2 children and all got in for the Thai price. They looked at me and aid, oh you can speak Thai so ok.

If that's the best you can do in their language after years living here you deserve to pay the tourist price.

It would have been much better to enjoy the time with your son and the elephants.

One day you will probably look back and regret it. How is your son going to be affected psychologically? He is half-Thai and possibly you reject that half of him. He might grow up thinking half of him is faulty.

Listen - it is not racist to give advantage to a national and resident in their own country. fact. dont even attempt to dispute that.

it would be racist however to charge a visitor more for any service due to race.

your daughters friend simply doesnt qualify for the interest free loan. but she is not being charged more. is that not clear - she is not being charged more because of her race.

re accident. agian yes im sure there are situations as you describe. but anyone that is being honest knows that a ferang is almost always held accountable. you know that so what actual point are you trying to make.

overcharging due to race is racist. not being given a subsidy because one does not meet the requirements is not - is not being overcharged. many brits will also fail to qulify for grant subsidies. all you points are mute.

• Like 1

Meanwhile in some western country a thai woman was having the same issue as her lukrang son wasn't considered even a part of the country even though he was born in the country.

His thai mother struggled to speak the indon european language of dutch/german/english.

Oddly enough the same people offended by the 1st post in this thread felt differently in this thread even though the situation was the same just that the nationalities was changed.

Do Thais pay different prices to enter London zoo? :D

All British Citizens who can show that they are 4th generation, should get into all historical places in UK free (given a card). Then there should be a sliding low scale pay for for those of 3rd, 2nd & 1st generation. The Chinese, Japanese, Thai, American, Australian tourists etc, can pay a price high enough to subsidise the Brits.

Among educated people, treating foreigners in this way is generally considered to be a mark of bad manners and low class. However, civilizatory speaking, Thailand hasn't really embraced modern ideas of humanity being equal and lets not forget that we don't need to go more than 60 years back where black people had to sit in the back of the bus. The Thais will get there soon enough.

• Like 1

Among educated people, treating foreigners in this way is generally considered to be a mark of bad manners and low class. However, civilizatory speaking, Thailand hasn't really embraced modern ideas of humanity being equal and lets not forget that we don't need to go more than 60 years back where black people had to sit in the back of the bus. The Thais will get there soon enough.

i dont know about your country , but in mine foreigners have to pay more for fishing and hunting. and i'm sure we are every bit as educated as you

• Like 2

I know that the OP was a joke, but:-

Just get used to it.

It is the way it is here..

This pricing is based on the assumption that farangs get a better hourly wage than thai people.

And rightly so....

but wouldnt that be called racism in any western country?

My daughter, a British citizen, is at university. She has a friend there who is a foreign student.

My daughter pays one set of tuition fees and gets an interest free loan from the government to pay them.

Her friend has to pay much higher tuition fees and fund them from his own resources.

Do you consider that racist?

no not at all as your daughter is a british national. but if the foreign student had to pay more to get in to a museum or zoo then i would consider that racist. i bet the foreign student could by a house in their own name and wouldnt be automaticaly to blame if they had a road accident and would be able to gain british nationality if they married a british national.

obviously it is fair that the government does not provide interest free loans for foreigners. not giving interest free money is hardly the same as over pricing because of race - is it?

What makes a museum or zoo different from a university or hospital as far as discriminatory pricing goes?

• Like 1

Do Thais pay different prices to enter London zoo? biggrin.png

This prompted a memory of mine from a visit to Chicago in June, where once a month local residents get free entry - http://fieldmuseum.org/visit/field-museum-discount-days

Similar concept.. sure that this happens in the UK too.

seniors from my province get free pass on ferryboats. all others must pay.

i dont know about your country , but in mine foreigners have to pay more for fishing and hunting. and i'm sure we are every bit as educated as you

What country are you from?

Do Thais pay different prices to enter London zoo? biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

This prompted a memory of mine from a visit to Chicago in June, where once a month local residents get free entry - http://fieldmuseum.org/visit/field-museum-discount-days

Similar concept.. sure that this happens in the UK too.

seniors from my province get free pass on ferryboats. all others must pay.

So it goes to show even the UK is discriminatory but as usual do the person that complains of thais doing it and i can bet it's a farang he totally ignores how his own country also does it and chides others for doing the same exact thing.

• Like 1

Etc., etc., ad nauseum.

From the OED

Alien, noun:

I doubt that any other country in the world but Thailand uses the word Alien, and use the word foreigner instead, which is in imo a more human expression.

The US does it. All non US citizens in the country are aliens the only difference is that the US is a western country and a supposed superpower so i suppose it's fine if they do this.

Etc., etc., ad nauseum.

From the OED

Alien, noun:

you may doubt it all you want but youre wrong.

Listen - it is not racist to give advantage to a national and resident in their own country. fact. dont even attempt to dispute that

I'm not, never have.

it would be racist however to charge a visitor more for any service due to race.

Dual pricing in Thailand and the many other countries where it is practiced is based on residency, not race; otherwise the higher price in Thailand would apply to ethnic Chinese! Basically, show you are a resident and you'll get the resident's price. I'm not resident in Thailand, but have often paid the Thai price merely by speaking a few words of Thai.

your daughters friend simply doesnt qualify for the interest free loan. but she is not being charged more. is that not clear - she is not being charged more because of her race.

Never said that he (not she) should get an interest free loan from the British government. But it is a fact that foreign students studying in the UK pay a higher, non resident's fee than UK residents on the same course do. Even new residents, such as the Thai wife of a British citizen, have to pay the higher non resident's fees until they have lived in the UK for three years.

re accident. agian yes im sure there are situations as you describe. but anyone that is being honest knows that a ferang is almost always held accountable. you know that so what actual point are you trying to make.

The point I was making is that in an RTA involving a Thai and a foreigner it is not always the case that the foreigner is automatically blamed regardless of who is actually at fault. I can only speak from experience. Do you have direct knowledge or are you relying on hearsay and rumour?

overcharging due to race is racist. not being given a subsidy because one does not meet the requirements is not - is not being overcharged. many brits will also fail to qulify for grant subsidies. all you points are mute.

Again, dual pricing where it is practiced is based on residency, not race. All British or UK resident students studying at university in England, Wales or Northern Ireland qualify for student loans (not grants, loans). Those whose parents are on low incomes may qualify for a grant as well.. The situation is different in Scotland where tuition is free to British nationals and UK residents, but international students do pay a tuition fee.

• Like 1

Do Thais pay different prices to enter London zoo?

When my wife first arrived to live in the UK we did all the touristy things; London Zoo, The Tower, Hampton Court etc..

Same when her son came to visit and again when her sister did.

Every time we went somewhere that charged for entry she was shocked that I had to pay the same price as she, her son and her sister did.

"But it's your country, your history! Why do you have to pay the same as me?"

As part of my taxes subsidise many of these places, a good question!

Most state owned museums are free in the UK; paid for out of taxes. There are many in the UK who feel that they should be free to UK residents but tourists should pay.

• Like 2

When my wife first arrived to live in the UK we did all the touristy things; London Zoo, The Tower, Hampton Court etc..

Every time we went somewhere that charged for entry she was shocked that I had to pay the same price as she, her son and her sister did.

Most state owned museums are free in the UK; paid for out of taxes. There are many in the UK who feel that they should be free to UK residents but tourists should pay.

maybe they have done a cost/benefit analysis and decided that the fact they are free attracts enough more tourism to the UK to pay for the free admissions.

Yup why does your govt charge the same prices?

Anyway what the UK govt does doesn't affect other countries policies. It's just like how if the neighbours the jones for example mow their lawn on saturday morning doesn't mean you have to mow yours on a saturday too.

Anyway some posts mentions how foreigners pay more for studying in a UK college or something so maybe they don't pay more for a visit to a zoo but that doesn't mean the UK citizen doesn't have benefits.

I thought there were enough subtle clues for people to detect the satire...but maybe i posted it too late in the day... the bar stools had been warmed up too long by then..

We understood both your sarcasm, and your racism. Great job.

...but the majority don't.

the OP is really "same'ol, same 'ol" - and I think he should be used to it by now - I feel sorry for his son and the elephants which are probably abused anyway.....BUT........

There have been many surveys and debates especially on the UK museum service and charging - they are mostly free - funding of historical, cultural and natural heritage is considered y most to be part of UK's heritage. it is of course one of the reasons that UK is one of the top world tourist destinations.

If you visit London and go to the "pay" sites you can still get great value for money - the result a huge tourist industry that brings in lots of csh for the local businesses.

making people pay after they have forked out hard earned money on hotels and airfares in the long run is detrimental to the tourist industry - this has been examined in UK in-depth and a lot of effort is made to ensure that as many major tourist attractions as possible are open to everyone to enjoy - UK or foreign.

the result is they are used and enjoyed by people fro wall over the world.

Thailand still has to learn from this - the air port fees and NP dual charging are high-profile examples of this - as is the niggardly attitude to visas and other official bureaucratic charges.

dual charging in Thailand - contrary to popular perception is not the norm, but is is common enough to cause concern.

if you take a look at the amount of foreign visitors that visit national parks the numbers are pathetic - they certainly don't help with the upkeep of the Parks so the system like so many in Thailand is ill thought out and almost certainly has a detrimental effect on tourism,....certainly in those areas where dual charging exists.

I seldom pay, but occasionally do - and because the system is inconsistently enforced you never really know what to budget for. There should be a concerted call from foreign offices around the world to get rid of these charges.

Edited by wilcopops

I have thai driver licence and speak fluent thai and have only once been asked to pay falang tourist price, happend at the Pattaya aquarium, i just said thank you but no thank you and left. Up to me if i want to be ripped off or not

They wanted to let me into Nong Nooch recently for the Thai price, as I too have a local licence.

I told them 'I don't need your stinking charity'......spent the difference on some meat, woke the tiger up and fed it to him!

Anybody not understanding better duck!

clap2.gif to the OP. Maybe next time you want to be a little bit less subtle LOL Perhaps a "wink, wink" after the post would give some people a few clues.

To Jacko45k, I like duck. Tigers like that too? Do ducks eat tigers if properly cooked?

The point I was making is that in an RTA involving a Thai and a foreigner it is not always the case that the foreigner is automatically blamed regardless of who is actually at fault. I can only speak from experience. Do you have direct knowledge or are you relying on hearsay and rumour?

This is certainly not the case in the city, I wouldn't be surprised if it is practiced int he country though but there are a few other contributing factors.

- It is a Thai belief that if you're aggressive, you're obviously in the wrong. It is farang nature to zealously fight for one's cause if they believe they're right - you see the conflict here?

- There's a language barrier where farangs are often unable to clearly explain what happened and Thai people will often give a nod of understanding regardless if they understand.

- Insurance company representatives are instructed to twist the law to minimise their chance of a payout. If you deal with them only this can work in your favour or can work against you.

- The insurance system requires fault be determined before they payout/begin repair work. This gives the poorer party the ability to delay matters in court costing the wealthier party lawyer fees, etc while not having a car to use. The police typically advise the wealthier party to just accept fault as it would be more expensive to try to prove you're right (usually occurs in car <-> motorbike collisions). This affects Thai drivers more than it does farangs.

I recently went to the Grand Palace with my Thai girlfriend, the entrance fee for a Thai is ZERO...all others 500 baht. I showed them my work permit (which normally ensures local price) and was told I had to pay 500 baht. My girlfriend asked why and the lady replied "because he is Farang"... My girlfriend argued that I pay my taxes, social security and whatever else and the work permit means I get same price as a Thai.. but the lady replied all farang must pay!!!)... Well this farang did not pay the 500 baht entrance fee and went along the chao praya river and visited beautiful temples which were all free (donation made at each).

I know the government approve of charging different prices for farang tourists, but now it would appear farangs who legally work and pay into the system here also have to pay full price at some places!!!

The Hermitage museum and Peterhof Palace in St.Petersburg,Russia charge foreigners three times more than Russians pay. My girlfriend(a Russian tourist guide)smuggled me in saying I was Russian.She told me not to speak or they would find me out and I would be sent to Siberia.

maybe they have done a cost/benefit analysis and decided that the fact they are free attracts enough more tourism to the UK to pay for the free admissions.

Admission fees were introduced, if memory serves, in the 1990's by the Conservatives to raise funds for the museums, and then abolished by Labour in 2001 for political reasons.

The Guardian and Observer are left wing papers, but they are in favour of charging. We need to start charging for museums and galleries again

So, while American tourists and continental mini-breakers have no problem paying €6.50 to wonder at the majesty of Lorenzetti in the Uffizi and €8 to feast on Velázquez at the Prado, in London it is all gratis. At New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, there is a de facto $20 entrance fee for adults, so why not a fiver for London's great galleries? Would it really undermine our cultural competitiveness?

Most museums would support it as well. Acquisition budgets in London and Edinburgh have been falling over the last few years. Time and again, our national galleries are being outbid by foreign rivals as they seek to keep their collections relevant. Curatorial budgets are collapsing and recent cuts to grant-in-aid funding shows the dangers of over-reliance upon the state.

A truly equitable cultural policy might begin to think about reintroducing charges for our national museums. Naturally, one needs safeguards with schools and students retaining free entry and a free day a week reserved for residents. Some of the extra income gained could also be allocated to proper inclusion strategies and grant-in-aid funds relocated to support our provincial collections.