Outrageous Double Pricing in Thailand!

Stradavarius37

You call yourself "farang", (in other words, an object in the eyes of a Thai), and then complain about being a victim of discrimination.

Joke or not from your part, you fail to see that this is exactly the mechanism that makes it easier to scam foreigners for hundred of thousands of baht every year. And maybe even a few deaths...

In my experience 99% with Thais and expats would say you were wrong. For confirmation search the 126 threads about "is Farang a bad word" that have appeared on Thaivisa in the past few years.

Farang is not meant as a bad word itself.

You are missing the point.

But, the way Thais use the word, is not just to identify us in a certain specific situation, like we in the west use to address if a person is white, black etc.

Thais use the word, in a way where they clearly, first and foremost, see us as an object, as "farang" and then only secondly, as normal human being, and as an individual.

If you can speak Thai, pay attention to what I just said. And then tell me I am not correct.

Edited by ayayay

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You call yourself "farang", (in other words, an object in the eyes of a Thai), and then complain about being a victim of discrimination.

Joke or not from your part, you fail to see that this is exactly the mechanism that makes it easier to scam foreigners for hundred of thousands of baht every year. And maybe even a few deaths...

In my experience 99% with Thais and expats would say you were wrong. For confirmation search the 126 threads about "is Farang a bad word" that have appeared on Thaivisa in the past few years.

But, the way Thais use the word, is not just to identify us in a certain specific situation, like we in the west use to address if a person is white, black etc.

Thais use the word, in a way where they clearly, first and foremost, see us as an object, as "farang" and then only secondly, as normal human being, and as an individual.

If you can speak Thai, pay attention to what I just said. And then tell me I am not correct.

You're not correct.

You're not correct.

Yes, I am.

You're not correct.

Yes, I am.

I understand that is your experience and I can understand why. You asked a question and I answered it. You contradicted your elder in both age and experience in Thailand. No wonder people treat you the way you imagine. But not all people are you. For me you are not correct. I'm almost 70 and first came to Thailand in 1968. I would imagine I arrived in Thailand a long time before you were born but that's just a guess.

Yes, I am.

I understand that is your experience and I can understand why. You asked a question and I answered it. You contradicted your elder in both age and experience in Thailand. No wonder people treat you the way you imagine. But not all people are you. For me you are not correct. I'm almost 70 and first came to Thailand in 1968. I would imagine I arrived in Thailand a long time before you were born but that's just a guess.

I did not ask a question.

Meanwhile age usually have to do with knowledge, it is very obvious, it is not always the case.

Thai people use the word farang, far more closely related to objectification, than a non-racist western person use the word black/white etc, when referring to skin color.

The more important it is to label a person, to a special group, that is, other than ourselves, the more distant, and alien, the person is in your mind.

Check out the thread "Competition of best farang & Thai couple" here on Thai visa:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683627-competition-of-best-farang-thai-couple/

scroll to 41:30 into the video clip, it is amusing...

I once drove my Honda PCX150 to Safari World with my Thai-step son. When entering I was asked to pay much more than him, because I was a Farang...

I paid what was asked and we both had a great day together...

After that we put on our INDEX helmets and drove back home on my Honda PCX150...

Sorry... What is this thread about??

Edited by khunpa

I did not ask a question.

Meanwhile age usually have to do with knowledge, it is very obvious, it is not always the case.

Thai people use the word farang, far more closely related to objectification, than a non-racist western person use the word black/white etc, when referring to skin color.

The more important it is to label a person, to a special group, that is, other than ourselves, the more distant, and alien, the person is in your mind.

Check out the thread "Competition of best farang & Thai couple" here on Thai visa:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683627-competition-of-best-farang-thai-couple/

scroll to 41:30 into the video clip, it is amusing...

You asked me to, " If you can speak Thai, pay attention to what I just said. And then tell me I am not correct."

That is a question (I guess a pedantic could debate that). And I answered, based on my experience in Thailand which is not confined to farm people in an Issan ghetto, it is not correct.

There is a poster on Thai Visa who gets beat up by tuk tuk drivers. He thinks Farang is a bad word. In his case it must be. I allow him his feelings. Getting beat up for 20 baht I think is rather odd and staying in Thailand after something like that is even stranger. But like they say up to him.

Age alone in Thailand is due respect. Not in your culture, I understand that. That's why I left your culture. I don't like it.

You are not the judge. Your culture don't mean sh** in Thailand. Thai culture trumps Western culture every time in Thailand. You can accept that and enjoy Thailand or not and not enjoy Thailand as much. Up to U.

If you want to pattern your life experiences in Thailand after some farm people in Issan. Up to U.

If your only experience in Thailand comes from videos you will have lots of misconceptions.

Edited by thailiketoo

One thing this thread has displayed is that people really don't know what the word sarcasm means, and how it differs from the word satire tongue.png

If you don't like it here, there are free seats available on the next plane home, for sure!

...yes, I got his sarcasm! wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif alt=wai.gif width=20 height=20>

Edited by Stradavarius37

Did you know there are countries that encourage foreigner participation...by giving the foreigner 50% off the regular price in such venues...

This country shows it's true colors in such instances...Pattaya Park is another example...charges foreigner twice the price...

This line of thinking will come back to bite this country in the butt one day...

"Did you know there are countries that encourage foreigner participation...by giving the foreigner 50% off the regular price in such venues..."

Never heard of any - please excuse me for my ignorance.

Can you please mention the names of those countries and for what they give these discounts for foreigners.

So, so, so...

Let's take a hypothetical situation and imagine we all are living in the perfect area of this world.

So, every thing is perfect.

No, double pricing.

No, racism.

No, breaking of the law.

No, tea money (never even heard about it).

No, no one harasses anyone.

etc, etc.

Imagine in this perfect place there is a perfect organisation which has a vacancy to be filled.

Imagine there are 5 candidates appying for it and all are having the same qualifications, experience etc etc. (Remember, this is a hypothetical situation, ok?)

Now, there is one difference, yes ONLY one between these 5 candidates.

That is, they are from different countries - 1 is from a perfect country and the other 4 are from countries.

Would all 5 of them be offered the same and equal salary?

One thing this thread has displayed is that people really don't know what the word sarcasm means, and how it differs from the word satire tongue.png

One thing this thread (your OP and follow-up posts) has displayed is that some Members here don't value their reputation and Stradavarius37, your Card is marked.

What continues to amaze the members here is that you continue to blame us, satire vs sarcasm.

When your hole is that deep, wise men stop digging ... maybe time now to show the Forum how smart you are.

And when it is time for you to take advantage of a Senior Citizen discount you will refuse it because of why? And I suppose you will refuse to pay a child's admission rate for your son because you want him treated as an adult? And you will refuse to go to a resturant that offers "children eat free" because you want to pay the same for everyone.

And when it is time for you to take advantage of a Senior Citizen discount you will refuse it because of why? And I suppose you will refuse to pay a child's admission rate for your son because you want him treated as an adult? And you will refuse to go to a resturant that offers "children eat free" because you want to pay the same for everyone.

Everybody loves a discount as long as they are the one getting it. Otherwise it's blatant discrimination and should be banned forever in all countries...no more ladies nights, no more happy hours (why should someone get a cheaper price due to time of day?), no more seniors discounts, no more early bird specials, no more kids discounts, no more local resident rates......every human must pay exactly the same rate for all goods and services in all countries all the time.....how dare a business offer a discount to anyone?

Thailand is only one of a very long list of countries where it is entirely common for different people to pay a different price due to their gender, age, residence, time of day, etc.

One thing this thread has displayed is that people really don't know what the word sarcasm means, and how it differs from the word satire Posted Image

One thing this thread (your OP and follow-up posts) has displayed is that some Members here don't value their reputation and Stradavarius37, your Card is marked.

What continues to amaze the members here is that you continue to blame us, satire vs sarcasm.

When your hole is that deep, wise men stop digging ... maybe time now to show the Forum how smart you are.

You make me laugh, grumpy anonymous internet guy - but keep trying to lecture me. It's working, truly. Lol

• Like 1

There is a poster on Thai Visa who gets beat up by tuk tuk drivers. He thinks Farang is a bad word.

It is very bad word, but it is not MEANT to be a bad word.

I saw the post where you were happy to be the only "farang" giving money to the monks.

In that post I can clearly see that you are very happy to be the "dancing monkey". The one that sticks out.

We all did, for a few years, but after awhile, most of us, just want to relax, and be treated with respect, in a normal way.

This is a little bit like the same mechanism why celebrities, usually do not want to be around people who loves them because they are famous, the want to be loved for who they really are.

The same way for many foreigners living here, after a while, they want to be loved and respected by their close friends, like a regular human being, not an object "farang".

But some people just loves to be that object, you seem to be one of them. Personally, I got tired of it, just after a few years living here.

• Like 1

One thing this thread (your OP and follow-up posts) has displayed is that some Members here don't value their reputation and Stradavarius37, your Card is marked[/size][/font].

Just because OP has way too much time on his hands, does not mean that he is intelligent. In fact, his posts actually shows the opposite.

There is a poster on Thai Visa who gets beat up by tuk tuk drivers. He thinks Farang is a bad word.

I saw the post where you were happy to be the only "farang" giving money to the monks.

In that post I can clearly see that you are very happy to be the "dancing monkey". The one that sticks out.

We all did, for a few years, but after awhile, most of us, just want to relax, and be treated with respect, in a normal way.

This is a little bit like the same mechanism why celebrities, usually do not want to be around people who loves them because they are famous, the want to be loved for who they really are.

The same way for many foreigners living here, after a while, they want to be loved and respected by their close friends, like a regular human being, not an object "farang".

But some people just loves to be that object, you seem to be one of them. Personally, I got tired of it, just after a few years living here.

I don't have any problems being loved and respected by my close friends. Have you given much thought to why you are not? Since Thai people respect some Farang and not others; perhaps you should query some of the loved and respected ones who might give you some pointers.

One thing this thread (your OP and follow-up posts) has displayed is that some Members here don't value their reputation and Stradavarius37, your Card is marked[/size][/font].

Just because OP has way too much time on his hands, does not mean that he is intelligent. In fact, his posts actually shows the opposite.

Oh really? In what way?

One thing this thread has displayed is that people really don't know what the word sarcasm means, and how it differs from the word satire xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.HP_JpdOU4y.webp

You make me laugh, grumpy anonymous internet guy - but keep trying to lecture me. It's working, truly. Lol

THAT was sarcasm, btw...lol

• Like 1

I don't have any problems being loved and respected by my close friends. Have you given much thought to why you are not? Since Thai people respect some Farang and not others; perhaps you should query some of the loved and respected ones who might give you some pointers.

I am respected as most other normal people, don´t worry about me.

I am talking in general, I am not speaking about myself.

What I am saying is, "farang" is an objectifying word, and by increasing the use, and promoting this word, it only makes us appear more distant and more "other", than is necessary.

This in itself, makes it easer for Thais to not relate to us, scam us, and rip us off, etc.

What I am saying is, "farang" is an objectifying word, and by increasing the use, and promoting this word, it only makes us appear more distant and more "other", than is necessary.

This in itself, makes it easer for Thais to not relate to us, scam us, and rip us off, etc.

You know what that sounds like? You get respected but everyone else gets no respect in Thailand. You know what that sounds like? Mine's different!

You know what that sounds like? You get respected but everyone else gets no respect in Thailand. You know what that sounds like? Mine's different!

You are just very ignorant and naive, and as a result, never ever reflected upon the issues I am addressing.

Most commonly tourists, and newcomers, especially males in their early twenties think and act in a similar way as you.

555555....so true. People claim to dislike dual-pricing, but have no problem with it if they are the beneficiary.

Discounts? Do they hide the senior citizen or kid discounts in Thai language?

We are not talking discounts. We are talking overcharging visitors. Scamming tourists.

The practice seen here so often, locals taking advantage of their guests for fun and profit.