Bangkok Bank - What is a Correspondant Bank in France

You only need the swift code of Bangkok Bank and your account number and name to have the money arrive safely.

Swift will arrange everything automatically, no need for a Correspondent Bank !

Swift Code Bangkok Bank is : BKKBTHBK

2. What information does an overseas bank need to send money to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand?
Most overseas banks will need the following details:

- Your Bangkok Bank account name and account number
- The preferred currency and amount of money
- Your bank name (Bangkok Bank)
- Bangkok Bank SWIFT Code: BKKBTHBK

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PERSONALBANKING/DAILYBANKING/TRANSFERINGFUNDS/TRANSFERRINGINTOTHAILAND/Pages/InwardFAQs.aspx

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

" International remittances via Bangkok Bank are often cheaper and faster than other thanks to our extensive global network of correspondent banks. " from http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/default.aspx

so they do know what it is but you havent asked the right person. perhaps ask to speak to the foreign remittance section before asking your question.

thais from the snotty classes like to be obstructive and so do bankers so add them together and youve got total obfuscation.

other way is to email/phone major big banks in france and ask them.

also

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/BusinessBanking/BusinessSolution/TransferingFunds/ReceivingFunds/Pages/default.aspx with phone number at the bottom. they might know something. try email too it gives them more time to think.

Edited by b0nkr
  • Like 1

You only need the swift code of Bangkok Bank and your account number and name to have the money arrive safely.

Swift will arrange everything automatically, no need for a Correspondent Bank !

Safely, yes, but if you use an overseas bank that is not a direct correspondent of the destination bank the money will transit via a third bank and there may be a large extra fee.

Best avoided, I think.

For the money to Bangkok Bank, the sending bank needs to know where Bangkok Bank takes their euros (if payment is sent in euros). It cannot be derived from the SWIFT code.

Bangkok Bank's correspondent in EUR is Deutsche Bank in Frankfurt am Main - SWIFT BIC: DEUTDEFF

thais from the snotty classes like to be obstructive and so do bankers so add them together and youve got total obfuscation.

" International remittances via Bangkok Bank are often cheaper and faster than other thanks to our extensive global network of correspondent banks. " from http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/default.aspx

so they do know what it is but you havent asked the right person. perhaps ask to speak to the foreign remittance section before asking your question.

other way is to email/phone major big banks in france and ask them.

also

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/BusinessBanking/BusinessSolution/TransferingFunds/ReceivingFunds/Pages/default.aspx with phone number at the bottom. they might know something. try email too it gives them more time to think.

Obfuscation......now that sir, is a great word! ( Can be used in Thailand frequently I would imagine and especially when describing the entire Thai Visa process!) biggrin.png

Your average bank clerk may not know much about the detailed workings of international transfers. Best to speak to someone who actually deals with foreign transfers, whether that's in the foreign remittances department or international banking or whatever in your bank.

Knowing who the correspondent banks are can save you money if the amounts are important to you - so a valid question. Sorry OP tho' I don't know the BBL and France combination :)

As an example though, recently sent some USD funds from a Vietnam local bank to Stan Chart Thailand. As the money was sent in USD it went to the Vietnam's correspondent bank in the US. This was a US bank who levied a fee of a few tens of dollars. They then send the money in USD to Thailand for conversion in Thailand into THB.

I queried the charge, because as per the Vietnam bank policy they would waive international transfers for me, and Stan Chart in Thailand also don't charge me charge as a priority customer. I asked my Stan Chart relationship manager and she told me the name of the US bank used who got the fee.

So next time I did a transfer from Vietnam to Thaialnd I asked the Vietnam bank if they could use Stan Chart New York as the correspondent bank instead of the US bank. They could (as they use more than one correspondent), hence no middleman fee next time I did it - as neither my Vietnam Bank nor Stan Chart levy a transaction fee for me on international transfers.

Can't say I was really bothered about the 10's of dollars on the size of the transfer, as convenience was more important. But it was useful to know the correspondent banks for next time to save a few tens of dollars - although I don't do it often so not particularly bothered.

Worth OP asking the question though and checking out. Just that sometimes if you don't have the right bank and relationship manager or ask the right person, it's more hassle than it's worth finding out, and easier to just suffer a few tens of dollars

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile