Best shade trees and most fragrant bushes?

FACTOR

Can anyone tell me what are some good, fast growing trees for shade?

And how about some very fragrant bushes with flowers?

It's for my garden around my house.

Both Thai name and English, and I suppose Latin, names would be appreciated.

Thanks.

For a bush ... Jasmine ... stunning smell.

It's a climber, so needs support.

There are some non-climbing varieties that form compact bushes and there might be some larger versions but I'm not sure. As David said, they smell wonderful.

Many citrus trees also smell great also and can make very attractive short specimens.

We have a Jasmine ,about 5 years old ,ours is now a big bush,no support needed, and is still growing ,on poor stony land to ,has had lots of cow manure, I bought it from our local market about 70 bart ,as a foot high shrub.

In Thai ดอกแก้ว.

I should have also mentioned Gardenias and Frangipani in my earlier post. Frangipani is a bit overdone here but there is a good reason for it's popularity while gardenias have beautiful foliage in addition to the fragrance and showy flowers.

I should have also mentioned Gardenias and Frangipani in my earlier post. Frangipani is a bit overdone here but there is a good reason for it's popularity while gardenias have beautiful foliage in addition to the fragrance and showy flowers.

I also have both in my very modest garden and the smell of the flower is indeed sweet.

The main reason for my Jasmine suggestion is that the Jasmine flower is a sent where the perfume drifts through the night air ... where the others you have to be up-close to the flower to sample the perfume.

• Like 1

I also have both in my very modest garden and the smell of the flower is indeed sweet.

The main reason for my Jasmine suggestion is that the Jasmine flower is a sent where the perfume drifts through the night air ... where the others you have to be up-close to the flower to sample the perfume.

Spot on, nothing nicer than the perfume of jasmine drifting through the night air. And they do only perfume at night, nothing during the day.

I liked frangipani for many years till someone told me the Chinese call them 'flowers of the dead' and sort of killed it for me.

Love gardenias but not seen them in Thailand?

Try Ylang-ylang.....

Its a climber and heard its smell is very nice....I will be looking at getting some soon...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cananga_odorata

Vibe, thanks for the suggestion. Do you know how to say Ylang- Ylang in Thai?

Ylang-Ylang or Cananga Odorata,In Thai กระดังงา or กระดังงาไทย or กระดังงาใบใหญ.

My misses says it smells nice ,and will grow tall ,giving some shade

One of the best shade trees is broad leaf mahongany (Swietenia macrophylla) Also called Hondurus mahogany. In Thai it is called mahogany bay yai.

Very popular these days is the tree Terminalia ivoriensis. In Thai called Huu Krajong. I suggest you prune and shape this tree a little by cutting out every second row of branches. That way the branches will spread out more.

Another is the cordia tree. Orange flowers all year round which is great but it tends to drop leaves all year round also.

I can offer no advice on fragnant brushes