Teaching hours at university

Anyone here teach at a University in Thailand? I am curious what a normal workload would be. In China, class room hours seem to be minimal (12 to 14 hours per week). Looking to teach a little before going into full retirement mode but not willing to do a 40 hour a week grind.

Hoping to teach at an international uni so I can teach something other than English although would teach English if nothing else was available.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by timtscott

I only went in to use the 'phone (in bygone years of course), but 10-12 hours. Some places want you there when you are not teaching, avoid them.

They say for preparation/marking..what's wrong with my student notes? What has changed.?

Once a fellow student insisted that the lecturer return his "homework". grumblingly he went to his minvan and was ankle deep in

papers of yesteryear.

Another lecturer told us to mark our own papers. Another when asked for assistance.. "I've taught you all I know".

Another rattled incessantly on the board, dot and cross products, and never looked at us or spoke a word.

Chinese students will never question you, even if you insist black is white.

• Like 1

I only went in to use the 'phone (in bygone years of course), but 10-12 hours. Some places want you there when you are not teaching, avoid them.

They say for preparation/marking..what's wrong with my student notes? What has changed.?

Once a fellow student insisted that the lecturer return his "homework". grumblingly he went to his minvan and was ankle deep in

papers of yesteryear.

Another lecturer told us to mark our own papers. Another when asked for assistance.. "I've taught you all I know".

Another rattled incessantly on the board, dot and cross products, and never looked at us or spoke a word.

Thanks Asa! Just to be clear...you mean 10 to 12 hours is the norm in Thailand , as well, as China? Is the salary for that work load 30,000 Bahts?

If that's the case it would seem that is not such a bad gig?

Am I wrong?

Thanks again!

Edited by timtscott

14-18 per week is typical. Even some government schools, in larger towns, teach science and math and health in English, not just private schools or universities.

The year I spent teaching, I worked M-TH, mornings, for 14 hours per week. No other hours, show up, teach, go home. Was supposed to be only conversation, but I wove science and health and even some math in. 20k per month.

There are agencies, or you can knock on doors. But I wouldn't work for any school that made me hang around 7:30 -4:30, five days a week, when I only had a dozen classes.

papers of yesteryear.

Thanks Asa! Just to be clear...you mean 10 to 12 hours is the norm in Thailand , as well, as China? Is the salary for that work load 30,000 Bahts?

If that's the case it would seem that is not such a bad gig?

Am I wrong?

Thanks again!

Lecturing at Thai universities, some comments in regard to western / foreign lecturers:

- Rare to have an overall employment contract. In which case it would be a yearly contract but sometimes with a possibility of renewal.

- Mostly done by 'invitation to teach' a specific course(s) / course by course.

- Total number of courses is very semester by semester - and no guarantee of even one course in some semesters.

- For the current semester I'm teaching three course at one uni - 21 hours per month (in the full months), and 8 hours per month at another uni.

In December I have no courses. In January I have 30 hour intensive MBA course in an adjoining county. In Feb 2 MBA courses in Thailand, total of 24 hours a month and March MBA 40 hours intensive program.

- Daytime lectures: could be: 6 hours a day / 2 hours a day / 3 hours per day. Evening lectures usually 3 hours per evening, generally twice a week per course, sometimes with all day Saturday or Sunday or Saturday & Sunday added.

Lecturing fees: very case by case / uni by uni / different for bachelor level compared to masters level. From my experience (others will have different numbers) between 1,200 to 2,200Baht per hour. No additional payments for lecture / course preparations, marking your test papers, completing course reports, etc.

Most Thai universities require a masters degree and some good and aligned work experience to teach bachelor and some masters courses. Some require a Ph.D. for some masters programs. Extras: if you have a Ph.D. and the uni (dean / doctoral studies director) likes you, there are occasional opportunities to teach the initial course work for doctoral candidates and sometimes opportunities to join doctoral committees case by case. Fees are good 3,000+ for course work, and up to maybe 3,000 per meeting (usually 1 to 1.5 hrs) to listen to / comment on presentation from individual doctoral candidates. But Ph.D. work is rare.

Edited by scorecard

• 2 weeks later...

At my university you need a masters degree in the field you are teaching to teach at the bachelor's degree level. If you don't have that, you can't teach in any program in Thailand that is accredited by the Ministry of Education in Thailand. At the master's level, you need a PhD unless you're teaching some kind of foundation class.

• 1 month later...

Normally Thai people teach about 10+ hours per week. I know a foriegn teacher who teaches 20 hours per week. I do only 3 because I do other work that involves travelling around inside and outside the country. So when I am gone for a week, it won't cause too much troubles to students. However we all get paid the same.

I like Pauleddy's post, a little synical but overall similar to my experiences.

One addition to Pauleddy's comments about office politics. Don't compliment Thai teachers on how good they speak English. Most of my colleagues got their PhD's from the US or Australia. So it is kind of a backhanded comment implying that most don't and it can back fire. I don't agree with his assessment on their degree's or quality. My experiences are much different. I have worked with many very well qualified Thai teachers. My problem is that many got their degrees 15-20 years ago and still think that their research is current or topical. Not to mention that they will occassionally correct you, just ignore it. They often can have some arrogance because of their seniority or degree.

Don't ever compare, complain or suggest things to be done different even with colleauges that you think are your friends. Agree with ridiculous comments and then just do it the way that you think best. Don't take things off a colleagues desk without asking even if it is just a paperclip. Leave any arrogance of how better you are than Thai colleagues. Even if it is true, humility is definitely the way to succeed here.

As a full time lecturer especially if there is a relatively small foreign staff, you will do a lot of peer editing. Though your classroom hours can be anywhere between 12-18 hours, you will always have office hours. Only part time teachers can leave right after class. As Pauleddy said schools that require you 8-4+ kind of suck but most will require at leat a certain number of office hours. Being seen in the office and being socially polite are very important.

Popularity is usually the only form of assessment for quality of teaching so many think that all you need to be is an entertainer. I don't agree with those statements. A very effective teacher with high standards can still be popular.

Never show your emotions, displeasure, raise your voice at a student, colleague etc. no matter what.

Don't hit on students. We lost 2 teachers 2 years ago for doing this often.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...