The wide wonderful world of American sandwiches ...

Jingthing

So many sandwiches?

Who knew?

Wow!

Also, who ever said the USA doesn't have a rich food culture? Eh?

post-37101-0-63523600-1383587139_thumb.j

There are really many great ones on this list and actually I've never even tried MOST of them!

The "in Thailand" bit, well some of these are sold in some form at some places in Thailand, and many of these COULD be done by home cooks.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/business_insider/2013/11/04/131104_bi_sandwichmap.jpg

I'd really be hard pressed to pick a favorite of the ones I have tried, but if pushed, I'd go with ... New York.

Do you have a favorite from the list?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree NY is good, DE is great and so is LA as long as it's oysters. Can Do all three at home if I can get the bread/bagels, not sure if you can buy DE or LA anywhere.

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

I remember being in Seattle on work a while back and we had these sort of packed lunches delivered to the office. Hands down the best sandwich I've ever eaten. In fact all the food I had there was brilliant. I'm just glad I don't live there as I could not maintain a healthy diet for sure.

• Like 1

http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/best-sandwiches-in-the-us

http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-shows/adam-richmans-best-sandwich-in-america

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/fun-how-to/food-travel/25-regional-sandwiches/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/08/09/50-best-sandwiches-in-the-u-s-one-from-every-state/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/food-wine/best-sandwiches_b_1878286.html

Odd ones/favs:

Muffaletta: NOLA

Goetta: Cincinnati

Roast Pork/Broccoli Rabe: DiNics-Phila/Reading Market

Chaps Pit Beef: Baltimore

Al's Italian Beef: Chicago

Kelly's Roast Beef: Boston (Reveah)

I go back every ~ 60 days so always indulge. I'm partial to pulled pork, roast beef, meatball/sausage parm, italian (grinder).

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

I wait all year for one sandwich - turkey, cranberry sauce & stuffing with English mustard on toasted brown bread, I hardly eat anything else for a couple of days after Christmas, and if anyone dares to take a second helping of stuffing on Xmas they get the Todd look of death.

I haven't tried most on the list but I do like a decent Rueben with killer mustard.

• Like 2

A authentic Philly cheese steak is really hard to beat, but never found one to be as good as those made in Philly. Chicken Fried Steak sandwich, yummm, Barbecue Brisket, yummy. I'll be back in the US in about two weeks.. About the best I can hope for in Phoenix is either some good mexican food or a great hamburger.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's on the list but following my 2 years in Houston 35 years ago I always hanker after a huge bun stuffed with Texas BBQ brisket with a cole slaw side and a few jalapeno peppers.

As a Brit I have to say that American sandwiches are great - I could spend a morning sipping a coffee at a side table in any New York deli just listening to the build-me-a-sandwich jargon going on over the counter. First two minutes just to specify the bun/bread.

Someone should open an NY deli in Pattaya or Bangkok - I'd be willing to travel!

• Like 1

Andrew Zimmern's Favorite sandwiches...

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/andrew-zimmerns-favorite-sandwiches

Also, add The Cuban Sandwich to the list, maybe in Miami or Tampa?

And that Vietnamese fav: Bánh mì, and a good Torta Ahogada (Mexico), even Gyro's (Greece) can be sublime.

Adam Richman's Best Sandwich in America (I see DiNics Roast Pork sandwich won.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Richman's_Best_Sandwich_in_America

A tomato and onion sandwich with salt and pepper and toasted is my favourite - i will have to try these other sandwiches sometime . It may broaden my outlook on life. Most of them i wouldn't know what is in them anyway.

Any suggestions where i can find them in BKK (Sukhumvit road local ) so i can try them ?

A tomato and onion sandwich with salt and pepper and toasted is my favourite - i will have to try these other sandwiches sometime . It may broaden my outlook on life. Most of them i wouldn't know what is in them anyway.

Any suggestions where i can find them in BKK (Sukhumvit road local ) so i can try them ?

The vast majority of these are REGIONAL sandwiches even in the USA. Meaning you'd have to visit those specific states to find them. Some of them have broken that barrier such as the Reuben, tuna melt, lox and bagel, lobster roll, etc. Some are international imports such as bahn mi, Cubano, and falafel. Some of the barrier breakers and international imports are available at some places in Thailand. The other ones I was suggesting people could research recipes and cook themselves here, such as the California avocado club.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

the idea of regional American sandwiches is interesting...where do you think MEATBALL sandwiches came from? ham and cheese? p-nut butter and jelly? the venerable tuna salad?

I knew a gal many years ago in California who was from Chicago and she useta put brewer's yeast on toast such that it cannot be claimed that the marmite phenomenon can be attributed to England or Australia in the case of vegemite...she was jewish as well...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

the idea of regional American sandwiches is interesting...where do you think MEATBALL sandwiches came from? ham and cheese? p-nut butter and jelly? the venerable tuna salad?

I knew a gal once in California who was from Chicago and she useta put brewer's yeast on toast such that it cannot be claimed that the marmite phenomenon can be attributed to England or Austrailia in the case of vegemite...she was jewish as well...

I don't know from yeast sandwiches (sounds yucky and never heard of anyone in the U.S. doing that) but the others you mentioned are not really very regional, they are common U.S. foods nationally. The meatball w/ tomato sauce obviously came from Italian Americans, so generally the U.S. Northeast.

The list of 50 is just the tip of the iceberg I think. What about Italian Beef sandwiches which is a classically wonderful sandwich which I associate with CHICAGO?

Edited by Jingthing

I knew a gal once in California who was from Chicago and she useta put brewer's yeast on toast such that it cannot be claimed that the marmite phenomenon can be attributed to England or Austrailia in the case of vegemite...she was jewish as well...

I don't know from yeast sandwiches (sounds yucky and never heard of anyone in the U.S. doing that) but the others you mentioned are not really very regional, they are common U.S. foods nationally. The meatball w/ tomato sauce obviously came from Italian Americans, so generally the U.S. Northeast.

whaddaya mean Italian??? a guy I knew always claimed that his meatballs were swedish...he was from Fargo and was Irish, neither Italian nor swedish please note...and it's true that I've never heard of a swedish meatball sandwich but there are a lot of descendants of scandinavian immigrants in North Dakota so that a slight possibility exists, etc...(swedish meatballs on Ry-Krisp topped with a herring roll mop with horseradish...)

The word Sandwich came from an English Earl, the Ear of Sandwich, who liked stuff between two slices of bread. smile.png

Apparently he was a serious gambler and hated interrupting the card game to use knife and fork on his food. Meat between two pieces of bread in one hand and cards in the other. Clever solution and it certainly caught on.

A Swedish meatball sandwich/sub exists. Köttbullsmacka.

Or saddle-up, canter down to Bang Na to IKEA, get some "?meat?" balls and slap them on some bread. Hold the glue.

Mexican/Spanish/Portuguese sandwich = Torta (technically means "cake", I think.)

The classic is Torta Ahogada.

post-9615-0-48710800-1383959005_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo