reviews of eva air

bkksiam

I have looked at some of the online reviews of Eva airways economy class from London to Bangkok.

I was wondering how it compares to Thai airways. Pros? Cons?

London (LHR) to Bangkok (BKK)

EVA Airways 68

Economy / Coach Class ( M), BOEING 777-300ER

Used EVA about 4 times great prices compared to Thai. Eva have back of seat screens for entertainment food is average air food. Only flew Thai once and hated it plane was dirty no screens in back of seats, for me it's a long journey not to have this, hence never flew again with Thai.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have flown with EVA Airlines several times from west coast USA to Bangkok. I have no complaints. Been very satisfied with their flights and service. Like DarloKnight said, they have backseat screens that you can use to watch a selection of movies and TV shows. Also, they have a program that lets you track your flight's progress and flight info.

I flew with EVA air in 2010. A round-trip ticket Seattle-->Taipei-->Bangkok with an "open" return good for six months. When I decided my return date, I just called their Bangkok office and arranged the exact flight. In 2011 I did a one-way flight with EVA Seattle-->Taipei-->Bangkok. In 2013 I did a one-way flight with EVA Bangkok-->Taipei-->Seattle and a one-way LAX-->Taipei-->Bangkok.

Flying from both Seattle and LAX , I liked that they had flights leaving in the middle of the night. Then a short 3 +/- hour (nice airport btw, very well done) wait in Taipei, and then fly into Bangkok arriving around mid-day. I like arriving at that time period. I've never had a long wait for Immigration or baggage at those times. And, at those times, it's been easy trips into the city via the Airport Rail Link.

Just landed 3 hours ago. EVA; LAX-TPE-BKK. This time I flew standard economy, last month did the same route Premium Econ.

Seating on the 777-200 was 3-3-3 so the seats were a bit more generous than those that use 3-4-3. The flight was full but there were an adequate number of very pleasant FA's who were Quite attentive. Beverage trays were brought around frequently during the trans-Pacific leg and snacks were laid out in the rear galley area. As said before...for Econ. the seats were reasonably comfortable with adaquate distance from the seat in front.

Premium Econ on EVA is definitely a cut above...2-3-2 seating near the front of the plane. Note that there is often no Premium Econ available on the TPE-BKK leg. The food I would say was pretty much the same for both. I will say that by economy standards...the food is not bad. I flew to the US this time on Delta and their food was far less appetizing. United is the worse for food...both quality and portion wise.

All in all, considering it was a completely full flight, it was about as comfortable as one can expect to get in that price range. IFE was OK, a decent selection of recent movies however regular flyers such as myself will soon run out of viewing options as they don't change the playlist very frequently.

EVA AIRLINES HAS NEVER CRASHED!!!!!!!

Thai Airlines has had LOADS of incidents!!!

if you look at Airline Safety Rankings:
Eva is 6th safest airline in the world!!

and Thai is 53rd!!!!

http://www.jacdec.de/jacdec_safety_ranking_2012.htm

also: Thai Airlines is OVER PRICED.. and not all of their planes have TV's on the back of the seats!!!

EVA is modern and clean.

Saying that: Thai has great service (with smiles).

Eva is a bit miserable (plain) service.

Edited by easybullet3

I fly EVA regularly as they have the only good value premium economy option on the LHR-BKK route. Never had a problem with them. Food not great, but otherwise all good.

BTW, Thai airways do have the seat back screens in economy now. You might get the odd flight where a substitute aircraft is used and the screens aren't there.

and Thai is 53rd!!!!

also: Thai Airlines is OVER PRICED.. and not all of their planes have TV's on the back of the seats!!!

EVA is modern and clean.

They're not miserable, just typical Taiwanese efficiency.

• Like 1

and Thai is 53rd!!!!

EVA is modern and clean.

They're not miserable, just typical Taiwanese efficiency.

EVA is now my airline of choice and I have used them extensively over the last 7 years,

Service is at least comparable to Thai (which was not great in the international flights I have experienced.Thai are better on domestic, but so are NOK and Air Asia).

EVA wins hands down on cost grounds and my Thai flights didn't have back of seat screens.

I don't fly EVA for a gourmet experience - I DO fly because I can get BKK/LHR for 34,000 Baht and also flights for my daughters LHR/BKK for under £600.

• Like 1

Thai Air is old rude smelly and couldnt care less and overpriced too.

Eva is slik, well oiled machine, modern efficient and competitively priced.

I used them in August LHR -BKK no problems, no issues, very uneventful which is just how I like my flights....uneventful!, there was good seatback entertainment and pleasant staff.

• Like 2

I used to fly EVA often ( got their mileage card and got into the lounge also very nice)

I started on them when my usual "bucket shop" ticket place did not have a good price on the other airline I frequently used, so I got EVA.

If you shop around ( find some travel bucket shops) tickets are reasonable even for premium economy.

one flight I got upgraded to business class on EVA. not much different then premium economy.

BTW, Thai airways do have the seat back screens in economy now. You might get the odd flight where a substitute aircraft is used and the screens aren't there.

It is just luck which aircraft they use. The London route frequently still uses the ancient 747s, but if you are lucky to get on a newer aircraft then there can be screens. Even in business class the screens don't always work.... eventually they give up trying to reboot them and you just have to sleep instead.

Hopefully the safety maintenance is better than the cabin maintenance....

On the Hong Kong and other regional routes they manage to use even older planes A330s or 747s, and even the big screen at the front of the economy cabin is so badly maintained that it is painful to watch it..

Edited by bangon04

I used to fly EVA often ( got their mileage card and got into the lounge also very nice)

I started on them when my usual "bucket shop" ticket place did not have a good price on the other airline I frequently used, so I got EVA.

If you shop around ( find some travel bucket shops) tickets are reasonable even for premium economy.

one flight I got upgraded to business class on EVA. not much different then premium economy.

Upgraded must have been some time ago.

Just travelled with EVA business, seating herring bone 1/2/1 large fully reclining seats fantastic food 5*, service second to none, not cheap but less that what that so called airline Thai charges. Only flown once in the last 10 years with Thai Business class and the food was inedible, service what service.

• Like 1

It is just luck which aircraft they use. The London route frequently still uses the ancient 747s, but if you are lucky to get on a newer aircraft then there can be screens. Even in business class the screens don't always work.... eventually they give up trying to reboot them and you just have to sleep instead.

Hopefully the safety maintenance is better than the cabin maintenance....

On the Hong Kong and other regional routes they manage to use even older planes A330s or 747s, and even the big screen at the front of the economy cabin is so badly maintained that it is painful to watch it..

The 747s scheduled for the London service have all been upgraded. Sometimes they might swap one with the old cabin if there's a problem. They often have the A346 on the route which all have the new cabin.

Eva has been my choice of airlines for 10 years on the Seattle/Taipei/Bangkok route. Always the best price and best service.

Once got upgraded to business class and slept like a baby for the whole Seattle-->Taipei leg on their flatbeds.

Sent from my tin can via string.

How can people who say "I have flown only XYZ airline" for the last 7 years because "ABC airline" are rubbish (by implication 7 years ago). The one thing I have found by travelling 6 return journeys UK to BKK per annum for the last 10 years is that:

1. airlines change in the finer points of their service offering and therefore their relative perceived superiority changes surprisingly frequently

2. the finer points of service seem so important when you fly infrequently or are an airline nerd

3. when you fly regularly you get used to paying the cheapest price (within reason - nothing will compensate me for changing a plane in India), feeding yourself at your departure airport and buying a couple of bottles of water airside on departure, shutting your eyes and sleeping

No point reading anybody's' review when they are already hooked for a long time and exclusively on one airline.

EVA were fine when I last flew them 4 years ago, so were Thai (if you had your own entertainment or slept) and British Airways. The 3 big arab airlines then took over and I haven't used anyone else since. By dint of my earlier reasoning you should not trust any review of mine, other than a comparison between those 3 arabs. They are equally good by the way and equally have a (different) weak point and an occasional cock-up. Just buy the cheapest at the time!

Edit: All airlines are now cr@p in economy at leg room and serving alcohol. Sorry - that's down to the likes of me, who buy tickets mostly on pricelaugh.png.

Edited by SantiSuk

How can people who say "I have flown only XYZ airline" for the last 7 years because "ABC airline" are rubbish (by implication 7 years ago). The one thing I have found by travelling 6 return journeys UK to BKK per annum for the last 10 years is that:

1. airlines change in the finer points of their service offering and therefore their relative perceived superiority changes surprisingly frequently

2. the finer points of service seem so important when you fly infrequently or are an airline nerd

3. when you fly regularly you get used to paying the cheapest price (within reason - nothing will compensate me for changing a plane in India), feeding yourself at your departure airport and buying a couple of bottles of water airside on departure, shutting your eyes and sleeping

No point reading anybody's' review when they are already hooked for a long time and exclusively on one airline.

EVA were fine when I last flew them 4 years ago, so were Thai (if you had your own entertainment or slept) and British Airways. The 3 big arab airlines then took over and I haven't used anyone else since. By dint of my earlier reasoning you should not trust any review of mine, other than a comparison between those 3 arabs. They are equally good by the way and equally have a (different) weak point and an occasional cock-up. Just buy the cheapest at the time!

Edit: All airlines are now cr@p in economy at leg room and serving alcohol. Sorry - that's down to the likes of me, who buy tickets mostly on pricelaugh.png.

Some valid points. However I think the comparison between Thai & Eva is for those who prefer to fly direct as neither of them can compete with the Middle East airlines in terms of comfort, food, entertainment etc IMHO.

Flew EVA BKK-LHR couple of months back . Not bad, be wary of aisle seats with the AVOD box nicking the legroom, but would be the same with Thai and the retro fitted 747's they are using (no doubt responsible for them being one of the noisiest airlines at Heathrow in another thread). Food definitely a weak point with Eva but I take sandwiches smile.png

Edit: All airlines are now cr@p in economy at leg room and serving alcohol. Sorry - that's down to the likes of me, who buy tickets mostly on price:lol:.

Some valid points. However I think the comparison between Thai & Eva is for those who prefer to fly direct as neither of them can compete with the Middle East airlines in terms of comfort, food, entertainment etc IMHO.

Flew EVA BKK-LHR couple of months back . Not bad, be wary of aisle seats with the AVOD box nicking the legroom, but would be the same with Thai and the retro fitted 747's they are using (no doubt responsible for them being one of the noisiest airlines at Heathrow in another thread). Food definitely a weak point with Eva but I take sandwiches smile.png

Have travelled several time's with the so called better Middle east airlines and all are at best just ok slightly cheaper but the food in Business class is at best edible.

My 8 course meal on EVA business snack's or even another full meal if you have the room before your next course of only 6 this time was second to none, N/B you can pre order you meal on line before so if you don't get it right that's you problem. When I last had food on Emirates business was offered starter no choice two dishes for main course the one that arrived was tepid gave up on anything else seat's small not lie flat poor to say the least, added to the fact that you had to hang around in yet another airport for 2/3 hour's their lounge was very good though, needed to be but couldn't make up for the rest. Must admit though that all cattle class food is not that great.

Edit: All airlines are now cr@p in economy at leg room and serving alcohol. Sorry - that's down to the likes of me, who buy tickets mostly on price:lol:.

I had the AVOD box in premium economy the other week Was in a starboard window seat. Had to get up and walk around because I was getting crap from sitting awkwardly.