In wake of Pattaya ferry disaster, top brass stages safety tour in Phuket

webfact

“Please take the Pattaya case as a lesson to be learned from. We should be able to prevent such tragedies from happening,” Gen Panya said.

"Should" being the key word here. However, they won't because they are not capable or competent.

​Incapable, incompetent wimps, the lot of them! coffee1.gif

Why didn't they do these checks before on a regular basis to protect visitors safety. sad.png

They also checked about 2 months ago, and are checking the boats on a regular basis.

They dooooooooooo whistling.gif .

Is it the same team that check on coaches that crash near every week ?

In all fairness, they can not do much about captains and staff being on drugs.

The cause of this accident was staff including captain being on drugs, as confirmed by the captain.

Sure they could run spot checks but that still does not fix the problem.

The only solution is tougher penalties, but again do not think that would stop captains taking drugs

Excuse me, but I have to disagree. There is a very simple, straightforward way of making sure Skipper and crew are drug free. Test them for drugs before they step on the boat. Search them for drugs before they step onto the boat. Any crew member who tests positive is fired on the spot, no exception! It would not take long at all to make the problem go away.

Having said that, this is Thailand where saving face is of utmost importance, so it won't happen.

• Like 2

The IMO [international Maritime Organisation] regulates world shipping. Their SOLAS [safety Of Life At Sea] regulations HAVE to be adopted by every maritime nation that wishes to trade their vessels internationally and most adopt the same regulations for their home fleets - particularly ferries and passenger vessels - in fact most wouldn't get insured if they didn't comply with SOLAS.

Of course when I say 'World', that doesn't include Thailand - they don't need international bodies telling them how to do things - never colonised you know?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I don't understand at all why is it so important to say in every where, Thais anf foreigners have died too. Is this fair? People have died reason of Thai dilettantism, negligence and of course ya baa.

Edited by Loles

How many more expensive & lost of life examples do they need before actually doing something about it?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

about 65 million i reckon?