declaring Euro 30K on arrival

Not sure about all the drivel. 30k is not a big amount and will not raise any issues. Simply declare when leaving your country if there is a requirement and declare at the red channel when entering LOS.

I've seen the same done with $100k leaving Canada and entering into Thailand. Larger amounts may bring more scrutiny but usually the country that you're taking the money from will have more questions as to the source of funds.

You should declare an amount of 10,000 euros or more on exit from Europe, but I have no idea what the penalties are if you don't and the money is discovered on your person (there are reported to be dogs in some UK airports that are capable of sniffing currency). When you declare that you are exporting cash in this amount you will be required to complete a form by your territory customs officials specifying where the money came from. It might be helpful to have evidence of where the money came from (like a copy of the bank statements if you withdrew the money from a bank). I believe that the main concern of customs is that you are not taking the proceeds of criminal or terrorist activities out of the country; if they are happy that this is unlikely to be the case then the inquiries are likely to be dealt with quickly and they are not really interested in what happens to the money or how much it is.

I declared the cash on arrival to Thai customs. The customs officer could not have cared less and waived me on through. I do not know whether he would have cared if it had been 5 times larger though (see below of amount)

The problem with bringing in cash (apart form the security risk of carrying hard cash, which I can assure you is real) is that you may find it difficult to re-export if you want to reverse the process. If it comes in as a bank transfer you can complete a form at your bank that declares the arrival of cash from your country into Thailand and stands as a record of the amount coming in and permits you to re-export that amount of currency without further question. Indeed your Thia bank will insist on you completing such a form if you transfer more than US$ 50,000 into Thailand.

That guidance is correct to my best knowledge but is based on taking 10,000 GBP (about 13,000 Euros) out of the UK at Manchester airport 2 years ago and more recently making larger currency transfers into Thailand (GBP 50,000 at any one time) by bank transfer.

• Like 1

1: To T/T you would need a bank account in Thailand.

2: Most banks in other country's will do the exchange from your Euro to Baht on the transfer, unless you have a Euro account at the Thai bank.

3: Why don't you get a bank cheque in Euro and deposit in your Thai bank you will get a good rate for bank cheque.

": Most banks in other country's will do the exchange from your Euro to Baht on the transfer, unless you have a Euro account at the Thai bank."

No you need to make the transfer in the foreign currency. Do not ask the foreign bank to change to Baht first. A baht transfer will attract higher charges at your Thai bank and it will not appear as a transfer of foreign funds when you want to show the amount to Immigrations.

Carrying that amount of cash on your person is unlikely to be insured and is probably a very stupid thing to do.

Doing a bank to bank transfer (assuming you have a thai bank account) verifies and validates source. Merely drawing the cash from your bank means absolutely nothing.

Makes me wonder if people concerned about exchange rates actually take the trouble to quantify the difference - its probably just a few bottles of beer........

What beer do you drink? The difference between Super Rich's rate today of 42.15 and BBL rate of 41.59 results in a difference of THB16,800. I am also not suggesting OP brings in the cash, but just wondering how expensive your beer is. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

good point; did not realise exchange diffs varied so much.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the answer to your question:

1) you are allowed to bring in the amount you cited in Thailand

2) upon arrival ask to declare the money

3) you will be directed to an open air office ( meaning that it is not a room with doors, before anyone well intended asks)

4) the officer will issue a document attesting the amount you are importing, as well as the currency after counting ( or not ) the notes. No proof of origin was required but it doesn't mean that it is regulation

That is for the Thai side

As you are talking about Euros, and although you haven't asked about, I would like to point out what is needed to be done when someone is carrying cash with the intent, as this is the case, to cross borders

1) officially withdraw the cash from your bank ( official document ) in order to justify the origin ( you may also have some bank statements )

2) if carrying 10,000 or more, go to the customs of the airport of departure and declare the amount: another document will be issued by the customs. Please note that this amount is not per person but per family meaning that if one travels alone or in married couple the 10,000 are still the limit

That is all there is to it

Of course, if one has forgotten to declare the money and the customs question the travellers, I would advise them to state the amount when asked about it otherwise the money is confiscated and maybe up for detention and fines

Also let not anyone be fooled by Europe's border free as, when crossing a, now virtual, border one has to justify the amount of money and the precious paper from the bank is.....vital. They will in turn issue the customs document which will allow you to deposit the money in the bank of your choice in Europe

I hope I have not been too confusing....it is a bit late

Edited: do ask for the officer in charge of the matter as you might just be told to go through the customs without declaring. That would be a problem if you plan to deposit or export it

Edited by alyx

If the OP decides to carry the cash he could loose the lot if he is not careful at the airports in the UK and Thailand. There are many who make their living extracting cash from bags, pockets etc at all airports - it happened to me once in Hong Kong. However if you bring in the cash make sure you have clean notes with no creases, tears etc. A money changer in BKK refused to buy 2X$A100 notes from me because there were slight tears in each note. The reason - he could not pass on to anyone wanting to buy $A.

news about people doing what you're about to do is all around now also. I just saw some today on a major global network so expect a lot of questions and post examination and checking. if your prepped for that then go fot it. the thai side would be the least of my worries

ok you say he could LOOSE the lot.I guess what youmean is that the lot might become loose on his person and fall out of his pocket somewhere like the bathromm. yes possible

botton line is that carrying that much cash in person is not the way to do it unless you are pals with superrich or something.

Basnk to Bank is the only way unless these funds are from a dubious source and obtained in some unorthodox manner. so quite simply you transfer to your Bangkok Bank branch who plop it into the bankok bank here and bingo there's youe cash at a nice rate. What you are about to do I wouldn't ever do. I would never breach the $10,000 USD mark carrying money on my person. oh but hey you do what you wat though.

Edited by Nana Cowboy

2: Most banks in other country's will do the exchange from your Euro to Baht on the transfer, unless you have a Euro account at the Thai bank.

3: Why don't you get a bank cheque in Euro and deposit in your Thai bank you will get a good rate for bank cheque.

I asked Kasikorn Bank one time about depositing a Canadian dollar cheque in my KBank account. I was quoted 45 working days to clear the cheque!

Last week in Germany, on a train bound for Switzerland, the German authorities arrested a German and took him into custody.

He was charged with carrying - wait for it - "a large amount of cash in the sum of 9,380 euros."

Following his arrest for this crime, the German police raided the apartment of his Father - and found a trove of art treasures stolen during his Father's time as an art expert for the Nazis.

The point to remember is that the crime was carrying cash.

Lastly, go to your Bank and ask them for a special rate for this amount of euros.

If you cannot do that then take the money as a documentary credit - a sight draft for example.

Much safer and a higher/better rate of exchange than cash.

It is normally allowed to take out of Europe a sum not reaching 10 000 euro , higher amount is allowed but must repport by document ( see attachement )aangifteformulier_liquide_middelen_iud0952z2plfol.pdf

But ALWAYS any official can in case of doubt search any person ...., could be suspect person ...so i have allways my bank / Atm slips with me ..

But 999 999 € should theoretical be allowed , but they shall search for any other direct cash document or coins/ moneybills facepalm.gifbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

I looked into doing something similar recently.

On exit from europe you need to fill out a declaration at the airport if its over 10000 euro. if not and you get stopped you can get fined 5000 gbp ( I was in the UK so the fine was in GBP but the carrying amount was in euro! who said only thailand was crazy!?) i figured it could be picked up during the security scan so would be sensible not just to shove it down your pants. there are no fees, tax etc just need declare. i did read somewhere someone said it might ease things if you had a withdrawal slip from your bank. i.e. proof not from ill gotten, if possible. ;-). i guess that would help with any visa application but not sure about any of that.

Thai side i guess in the red section of anything to declare and hope their cousin isnt outside in the first taxi you come to. maybe more reason to keep it down your pants Thai side!

I did find a currency exchange that gives the same rates (they say) as the best exchange guy i have found in Chiang Mai ( the camera shop at north end of the night bazzar, 10-20 stan better than taipeh gate or nimman good ones) but you got to deduct "landing fees" (2% or minimum ฿200, maximum ฿500) and any third party banks transfers i guess but i recon it's worth a shot. i will be transfering about 5G GBP to see if it works next week. it's a company called torfx, they seem ok but i've usually brought cards or cash in the past too, we'll see. i opened a bangkok bank account cos the last time i tranfered via my Uk bank to krung Thai it went via bkk bank anyway and got charged twice plus a missing ฿1300 nobody knows were!

November the fifth I made a transfer of Euros, costs as BEN, from my account in Europe using internet before 22.30hr(Thai time). So it arrived in my ordinary savings account of Bangkok Bank next morning just after 8.30hr. Forex rates at that time are shown as 41.59 thb/eur for banknotes and 41.8825 thb/eur for TT at the BKK Bank site.

After subtracting costs on either side I calculated my given rate as of 41.9018 thb/eur.

Costs as (BEN) in Europe are: minimal Eur6 <= 0.1% <= Eur50 maximal,

And here 200thb <= 0.25% <= 500thb.

So then Eur30k x 0.1% = Eur30 costs on Europe side,

that leaves ( Eur29.970,00 x 41.9018thb/Eur ) - 500thb = 1,255,296.95thb credited at savings account of BKK Bank.

In this case the Forex rate when costs included will be:

1,255,296.95thb : Eur30k = 41.84³²thb/Eur .

This transfer done with internet banking is an easy matter of a few clicks at my smartphone, very secure, cheap and fast. 7596bht more profitable then exchange of Eur30k in banknotes (no fee) at BKK BANK the same time.

I don't know about rates of other money changers.

I not expect any problem on Thai side. Thai bank might have to report.... So what.

In Europe the limit without questions, if any, might be just below 10k. Easy to transfer smaller portions. Ask your bank.

Edited by Khunangkaro

Once you have exchanged the cash into THB and deposited some or all of it at a Thai bank, you may obtain a statement from the bank that you can used for a stay extension application, subject to whatever seasoning requirements apply in your case. That is the only certain way.

Once you have exchanged the cash into THB and deposited some or all of it at a Thai bank, you may obtain a statement from the bank that you can used for a stay extension application, subject to whatever seasoning requirements apply in your case.  That is the only certain way.

That would be bank letter for an extension. But for a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry immigration also want proof that funds came from outside the country.

I looked into doing something similar recently.

On exit from europe you need to fill out a declaration at the airport if its over 10000 euro. if not and you get stopped you can get fined 5000 gbp ( I was in the UK so the fine was in GBP but the carrying amount was in euro! who said only thailand was crazy!?) i figured it could be picked up during the security scan so would be sensible not just to shove it down your pants. there are no fees, tax etc just need declare. i did read somewhere someone said it might ease things if you had a withdrawal slip from your bank. i.e. proof not from ill gotten, if possible. ;-). i guess that would help with any visa application but not sure about any of that.

Thai side i guess in the red section of anything to declare and hope their cousin isnt outside in the first taxi you come to. maybe more reason to keep it down your pants Thai side!

I did find a currency exchange that gives the same rates (they say) as the best exchange guy i have found in Chiang Mai ( the camera shop at north end of the night bazzar, 10-20 stan better than taipeh gate or nimman good ones) but you got to deduct "landing fees" (2% or minimum ฿200, maximum ฿500) and any third party banks transfers i guess but i recon it's worth a shot. i will be transfering about 5G GBP to see if it works next week. it's a company called torfx, they seem ok but i've usually brought cards or cash in the past too, we'll see. i opened a bangkok bank account cos the last time i tranfered via my Uk bank to krung Thai it went via bkk bank anyway and got charged twice plus a missing ฿1300 nobody knows were!

well after getting a quote from them over the phone giving a good rate, then after spending days faxing passport pages, scaning and sending bank book pages to register with them, they offered 49.1 bhat as apposed to bangkok banks 49.77 and night bazzar 50.50 so I guess i was wrong about Torfx when it came down to it.

Im gonna transfer from my Uk bank to bangkok in london (for free) then 20 quid they will transfer gbp to my bangkok savings account then they change at TT rate wich today is 50.44 as apposed to their note buying rate of 50.1 which with the landing fee of 500 bhat seems ok to me, i know this aint to do with the cash bringing but stop your wingeing you misrable gits, I aint gonna fly back to yUK to bring it now am I. maybe next time but if this works well, much less risk.

Now let's get the right answer:

There is no limit to the amount of cash foreign currency you can bring into Thailand and no declaration is necessary. If the amount is being transferred and is more than 50,000 US dollars, then the bank won't credit your account before you have filled in a Foreign Exchange Decalaration form.

Source: http://www.thailand.ch/exchange.pdf

Most European countries allow max 10,000 euros (or equivalent) to be brought in or taken out without declaration.

And another surprise for the know betters:

Telex Kasikorn Euro 42.43

Super Rich cash: 42.35

So it depends how much the transfer costs are and at which amount.

Edited by sniffdog

I'd be more concerned with your Departure Airport formalities rather than arrival in Thailand

Albeit Uk rather than the Euro I probably still hold the record for a confisication at £1,012 for being unable to provide origin of monies !!

Yep £12 over the limit !!

Now let's get the right answer:

Most European countries allow max 10,000 euros (or equivalent) to be brought in or taken out without declaration.

Correct as regards declaration but any amount over £1,000 either in or out of the Country "can" be questioned as to its origin. If your answers arouse suspicion monies will be detained pending further investigation.

See my previous post as to outcome.....

I asked Kasikorn Bank one time about depositing a Canadian dollar cheque in my KBank account. I was quoted 45 working days to clear the cheque!

A cheque is a piece of paper. It has no value at all until it arrives at the issuing bank and real funds are transferred to the submitting bank.

Just declare the money on entry to Thailand and receive a declaration receipt. Go to SuperRich money exchange (best rates in Thailand) and with the declaration receipt they will exchange for TB. Take the exchange receipt and declaration receipt with you to the bank and deposit the money. During the visa process, present the declaration receipt and exchange receipt as evidence of importation of funds along with the bank letter.