Hernia Problem

motormouth

• 3 months later...
Davidcharles,

What is a keyhole job.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Well it's nothing like a B job, that's for sure!

The hernia operation is still often a long incision in the lower regions, so that the gut, which is protruding through the muscle, can be pushed back and the the gap stitched-up, so that it won't come out again.

I was cut, for two Hernias, one on each side, about 7inches, and it took a while to heal and to stop hurting. Also I had to stay in Hospital for a few days, and be careful not to lift anything for ages afterwards. Happily, the surgeon did a good job and I have been able to do everything, quite normally, now for about ten years.

Now, Keyhole Surgery is done through a tiny incision, with a scalpel and a camera.

Afterwards, you are, I am told, virtually painfree, and able to walk home within a few hours.

However, not every Surgeon does, or is good at, KS so one has to be sure that yours knows his stuff!.

I would deffinitely go for KH if I needed a Hernia in future.

• 1 year later...

I have to open this again as I have a hernia operation that I have to get done and am looking to see if I can find any place that I might be able to get it done for a little less money than the "Docs" namesake place.

I have been doing research through Google and found this site very informative: http://www.hernia.org/ They do NOT suggest the keyhole route at all and state that this can be very problematic. I am very interested in their way of doing this type of operation but cannot do the 1100 pounds plus plus... to go to England and have this done. It does seem that they have been doing it this way for years so I'm hoping that I can get the same proceedure done here.

On their website, they state that it is done under local anaesthetic and you can leave the hospital the same day and be back to work in a very short period of time.

Any help would be apreciated.

Thank you,

Kringle

It has been years since I first read of this proceedure, I think it is called laproscopy. It was developed after they developed the "key hole" approach to knee surgery.

I would guess that there are general surgeons in Thailand, trained in the West or trained in Thailand with this approach as it is so much more beneficial for the patient.

There are always "old time physicians" that can find fault with new proceedures. Since the nature, extent and location of herias vary from patient to patient, I would find the doctor who can do the procedure and if declines to use it for medical reasons, you are just that much further ahead, as hernia repair is fairly routine general surgery, in my view.

The British Government's NHS body,

The National Institute for Clinical Excellence

has now published a recommendation

to the surgical profession that

Laparoscopy ('keyhole surgery')

is NOT recommended for primary

groin hernia repair.

This concurs with the view held at The British Hernia Centre and certain other hernia experts in the USA over the last ten years.

The Royal College of Surgeons had previously said:

"Until [laparoscopic] techniques are standardised and fully tested... they cannot be considered for everyday practice."

This is why I'm trying to get the "Mesh" put in to help stop this from happening again.

In my experience and opinion you want to find a surgeon who has done the most hernia repairs, all other things being equal. Experience results in a much lower recurrence rate. If required, try to avoid a simultaneous (double) repair attempt; have one side down, and then 6 ~ 12 months later get the other side done. Go for a traditional repair, i.e. non-laproscopic (or what some are referring to as "keyhole"), a 4 - 7" diagonal incision, then using a mesh to keep the "innies" in. Go for a full anasthesia if you are healthy.

I've had three repairs: left, then right, then re-repair on the left. The first one was the most painful but not really all that bad. Apply ice (on the wound and esp. on your te$ticle$, which will otherwise became quite unsightly, black and blue, and painfully engorged) immediately and around the clock to reduce swelling. I did not do this the first time and experienced pain for a few days. The last two times the ice made a huge difference. Get up and walk as much as you can; including that first day. In all three cases I had a full anasthesia, I was an out-patient, so in at 06:30 and out the door by 13:30 (as soon as you can pee they shove you out the door), or earlier. In years past they'd keep in the hospital for a few days. You only have to avoid heavy lifting for a few weeks at most.