Anybody investing in Thai stocks?

Just check the turnover each day - retail investors, foreign investors, institutional investors, proprietary investors.You will see quite a few people do play Thai stock.

pros - another legalized gambling den is open

cons - you might lose money and the stock information is not that readily available in English (real-time), if you cannot read Thai. That would probably take the day-trading out if you need up to the minute news & information at your disposal. However, You can always play by graphs or base on the fundamentals of the company. many brokerage house will provide that information to you when you open an account with them.

good luck!

Pros: if you're working in Thailand and you invest in a Long Term Equity Fund it's tax deductible so depending on what tax bracket you're in you can get back up to 30 percent at the end of the tax year. This would take you years or even decades to achieve in the average bank savings account in the West these days.

Cons: To do this you need to keep it invested for five years (actually if you invest near the end of the year it's more like 3 and a bit years). Most day traders lose money so I wouldn't bother trying to buy and sell individual shares for a short term profit particularly in Thailand where corporate governance may leave something to be desired. Also the outlook is pretty uncertain given the political situation so you should be prepared for some volatility.

I have for years invested in the Thai Stock market with great returns. I subscribe to www.thaistocks.com which is a great website helping me pick good quality stocks. The website is in English, and has an active investors forum.

Edited by pattayamick

try it with play money. look at the stocks in the paper and buy and sell. Get training or find a good advisor. It is not for the faint of heart.

NEVER EVER invest money you cannot afford to lose.

NEVER EVER invest money you cannot afford to lose.

never ever bore us to death again coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Expatsupreme asked "SOme old guy told me he buys the stocks regullary, thai stocks, anybody has any experience it this fiels?

Pros and cons?"

Pros: You can make a lot of money if you study the Thai Stock Market carefully and also understand the affect on the market by Thai and Global politics. A 20% minimum return is easily achievable. The current political problem regarding the amnesty bill was an opportunity to make 3% in a day for those who bought when the market went down and sold when the market went up. A safe bet is BTS which will bring you at least 7% in dividends and an upside of 10 to 20% per year in the stock price. Plus you can trade it also to make more profits.

Cons: You have to be able to spell.........

Edited by Estrada

If you have an account that allows you to buy US securities the THD is a good ETF that has some of the most secure Thai companies on it. The annual fee is lower then a mutual fund and it moves pretty well. Check out the chart. Pulled back quite a bit the last month just like the SET. Its a good option if you dont want to try to translate whats going on with the stocks you buy on a regular basis.

• Like 1

You can use so-called Fund Books from the banks for investment. You will be part of a portfolio the bank takes care of (buy/sell). Fund Books are, as any other investment in the capital market, risky – you may gain (sometimes a lot) and may loose (sometimes more than a lot). Several of the banks have excellent web pages in English about their Fund Book portfolios.

I have been using both Bangkok Bank and SCB (Siam Commercial Bank), and Kasikorn (farmer) Bank seems to be very good as well.

You can choose different conditions for Fund Book, both accumulated and with dividend. The so-called LT or LTF (LT = Long Term) funds are based on minimum time of five years, as there will be no taxation on the gain after five years. Other funds with taxation are available, and you can choose market portfolio like Thai Stocks, European, Asian, Gold, Capital and so on. The outcome depends of course on the market, but some years I’ve seen rise in going rate up to around 30 per cent and dividend payout from circa 3 percent and up to 10 percent.

If you wish to choose stocks yourself from the SET-index, you will need an account by a broker, they have an Internet platform available. Day traders often use this solution. I am not familiar with the conditions, pros and cons – surely some other TV-member may be able to advise you.

Financial pundits on US Television continue to mention the political uncertainty in Thailand pushing the Thai stock market down. In general Thailand has been a good investment, but it makes sense to start small and take your time. I do agree with the poster about ETF funds such as THD being a good vehicle.

I am also ignorant with this. I would also like to know more.

First, anybody can explain the stock exchange?

When you say buy a "stock" of course you have to put money but is there goods in exchange to your money?

The Thai stock market dropped over 11% this morning it's all a gamble best of luck.

You gave me a start there - if it did it has since recovered as it is down about 1% for the day - down 10ish per cent for the year.

Or did you mean 1.1% or 11 points?

You don't pay any tax on capital gains here. Don't let anybody discourage you from investing in Thai stocks. If you are inexperienced, picking a well performing mutual is a good option on a long term timeline. Head over to BBL or Aberdeen and have a look at their funds. Very well managed imo smile.png

Look at the two rightmost columns here. That is how well these funds have performed against the benchmark. They've done quite well, but the market has been on the up in many of those years. Most of those funds are about 15 years old, would be well advised to take those returns with a grain of salt, as the market has done well in that timeframe, but it is the performance above the benchmark you should note. Good luck smile.png

http://www.bblam.co.th/web2/fund_perform.php?id=16&langsel=en

Edited by isawasnake

Did that same old boy actually invite you to see exactly how he "regularly" invests on the Thai stock exchange? Did he give you the name of his Thai stock broker? If your answer is "no" to both those questions, then assume that the old boy has recently been kissing the Blarney Stone, in Dublin, Ireland. Do you get the drift?

You don't pay any tax on capital gains here. Don't let anybody discourage you from investing in Thai stocks. If you are inexperienced, picking a well performing mutual is a good option on a long term timeline. Head over to BBL or Aberdeen and have a look at their funds. Very well managed imo smile.png

Look at the two rightmost columns here. That is how well these funds have performed against the benchmark. They've done quite well, but the market has been on the up in many of those years. Most of those funds are about 15 years old, would be well advised to take those returns with a grain of salt, as the market has done well in that timeframe, but it is the performance above the benchmark you should note. Good luck smile.png

http://www.bblam.co.th/web2/fund_perform.php?id=16&langsel=en

Now there's info that you can use, clap2.gif

You can use so-called Fund Books from the banks for investment. You will be part of a portfolio the bank takes care of (buy/sell). Fund Books are, as any other investment in the capital market, risky – you may gain (sometimes a lot) and may loose (sometimes more than a lot). Several of the banks have excellent web pages in English about their Fund Book portfolios.

I have been using both Bangkok Bank and SCB (Siam Commercial Bank), and Kasikorn (farmer) Bank seems to be very good as well.

You can choose different conditions for Fund Book, both accumulated and with dividend. The so-called LT or LTF (LT = Long Term) funds are based on minimum time of five years, as there will be no taxation on the gain after five years. Other funds with taxation are available, and you can choose market portfolio like Thai Stocks, European, Asian, Gold, Capital and so on. The outcome depends of course on the market, but some years I’ve seen rise in going rate up to around 30 per cent and dividend payout from circa 3 percent and up to 10 percent.

If you wish to choose stocks yourself from the SET-index, you will need an account by a broker, they have an Internet platform available. Day traders often use this solution. I am not familiar with the conditions, pros and cons – surely some other TV-member may be able to advise you.

30 % is what i am looking for

if i invest 30000 eur, then i get 10000 each year? Probably you can also loose 30 %, I dont believe this investment is very safe

But 5 years is a little too long.

So after 5 years you get

So after 5 years you get 91000 eur??

Or is my calculation wrong and you dont pay any tax?

THat just sound too good to be true. You can live only from interests, this is too fishy and risky for me I think

I am starting with stocks for the first time in my life. I see google, FB stocks double in 1 year.

So that is 100% profit.

I will be buying the following stocks total I will spend 10000 eur

Google

Facebook

Twitter

Microsoft

Tesla (this stock plummeted this year)

Harley Davidson (this stock is always rising..

Any suggestions

THe old guy, he is like 80 years old, the same guy who got shot by a burglar in Pattaya if you read my other posts, invested in company that produces pineapple, and the stock rised because of suden demand for few hundred %.

He was lucky he predicted this. And he watches some tv channel on tv to track stocks.... THe stock was Thai, but dunno which company it was.

30 % is what i am looking for

if i invest 30000 eur, then i get 10000 each year? Probably you can also loose 30 %, I dont believe this investment is very safe

But 5 years is a little too long.

So after 5 years you get

So after 5 years you get 91000 eur??

Or is my calculation wrong and you dont pay any tax?

THat just sound too good to be true. You can live only from interests, this is too fishy and risky for me I think

If you gain 30% every year, your calculation is correct. However I said I’ve seen rise in going rate up to around 30 percent and dividend payout from circa 3 percent and up to 10 percent, not that it is every year for sure.

Some of the banks have excellent web pages in English with historical graphs over performance of a portfolio compared to the market. Normally you may count like a double up, 100% up, in going rate over 8 to 10 years, which together with an ongoing dividend is not so bad as a long-time investment compared with bonds or simple bank deposits. However, a historical graph is no guarantee at all for future performance. The Thai LTF has tax benefits; I am not sure about taxation of gain on the other type of portfolios, may be 15%, but for sure some other TV-members may know more about it.

I think, if you wish to make big money in a rush, you shall pick some companies yourself at a market you know – did I see a headline earlier today about Twitter and a double up the introduction day? – but you may also face a huge risk of loosing a major part of your investment in a rush. You gave some potential investment examples yourself in your next post – but remember, historical performance is no guarantee for future performance.

I have been using Thai LTF for some of my girlfriends and daughters savings, and a bit of my own, and I am considering trying some of the other portfolios from Kasikorn Bank to see how they perform over the next year. Of my own money I have so far only been testing with smaller amounts to see how the Thai market works, and if a long term investment inside Thailand can secure for local inflation and give an outcome/dividend/interest you can live from.

Tesla (this stock plummeted this year)

YTD Tesla stock price is up ~300%

tesla stock dropped a lot this year because of the fire in the latest Tesla S model, so I think it is time to buy the stock, because there is a future in electric cars and it will rise again I think

YEAR TO DATE Tesla stock price is UP ~300%