Push for amnesty has ended: PM Yingluck

webfact

Push for amnesty has ended: PM
The Nation

30219011-01_big.gif
Protesters gather at the Ratchaprasong intersection.

As opposition rises and protests spread to key areas of capital, govt withdraws all six draft bills from the House

BANGKOK: -- The embattled Pheu Thai government yesterday yielded further to the spreading public outrage over the bill for blanket amnesty by withdrawing all draft amnesty bills from the legislature, except the one to be debated by the Senate today.

The move came after many groups of people staged protests at different locations in Bangkok, some even moving into the area where the Internal Security Act (ISA) has been imposed by the Cabinet and some even calling on the government to "get out".

The Network of Students and People for Thailand's Reform, which yesterday moved their protest closer to Government House, now plan to campaign for the Yingluck government's ouster, according to group leader Uthai Yodmanee.

A number of people yesterday also called on the prime minister to dissolve the House of Representatives and call a new election to "return the power to the people". These included Ramkhamhaeng University rector Wuthisak Lapcharoensap and a number of senators.

Senate Speaker Nikom Wairajpanit brought forward a meeting of the upper house today, from next Monday, to discuss the amnesty bill passed last week by the House of Representatives.

A source from the group of 40 senators said yesterday that they would not attend the meeting today in order to deprive it of quorum.

Bangkok Senator Rossana Tositrakul said there was an attempt to undermine the protesters' legitimacy by rushing the Senate debate to approve the original amnesty bill proposed by Pheu Thai MP Worachai Hema. The original bill seeks amnesty for protesters who committed criminal offences during the recent political conflicts.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra affirmed yesterday that all draft bills related to amnesty have been withdrawn from the legislature. "I want to alleviate the people's concern - the amnesty bill has already been dropped and all amnesty-related drafts are withdrawn," she said.

The embattled premier has made statements on three successive days since Tuesday on the amnesty bill, aiming to pacify the anti-amnesty protesters.

She said her Pheu Thai Party had sought and received House approval to remove the draft legislation on political clemency. "The people should rest assured that the push for amnesty has ended," she said.

Yingluck said there was no truth to the allegation that the amnesty bill was designed to void corruption cases. She also dismissed concerns that her government would crack down on the protests.

The prime minister said she wanted to see the restoration of peace and a return to normalcy. Therefore, only police were deployed to keep the peace, she said.

There were no plans to deploy soldiers to control the crowds, she said, pledging not to use force to disperse the rallies. She called for an end to the street protests. "My government will not do anything contrary to the people's feelings," she said.

She urged her opponents to submit their demands and grievances to the government instead of protesting on the streets.

The House yesterday cast a 310-1 vote to drop six draft bills related to political clemency. The six include the reconciliation bill sponsored by Matubhum Party leader Sonthi Boonyaratglin.

In removing his draft, Sonthi said he wanted the political conflict to end. "The country will become extinct should divisiveness persist," he said, urging all sides to talk and forgive each other.

The remaining four bills were sponsored by Pheu Thai MPs.

Yesterday, thousands of Thammasat University lecturers, staff members and students marched from their Tha Phachan campus to the United Nations office on Rajdamnoen Road to show their opposition to the amnesty bill.

Surin Pitsuwan, former Asean secretary-general, also took part in the march.

At midday, a large group of people gathered near the Asoke intersection in a protest against the bill organised by the Business Club for Democracy. Another large group, organised by the Anti-Corruption Organisation of Thailand, gathered at the Ratchaprasong intersection in the evening. The protesters whistled for a long period to show their opposition.

Meanwhile, Air Force commander-in-chief ACM Prajin Jantong yesterday commented that the government's retreat over the amnesty bill appeared to have reduced the political temperature. He suggested that a law should be written in a way that respects the legal principle and the public sentiment.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-08

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amnesty bills have been redrawn, except the one to be debated in the Senate today!!

Thank you, Thai people, for not believing in the Shinawattras lies this time around!!clap2.gif

Keep protesting, and you can bring this bunch of criminals down.

Power to the real people of Thailand!!

I think the amnesty bills have been withdrawn. They have not redrawn them (yet).

except the one to be debated by the Senate today.

The key words.

"The people should rest assured that the push for amnesty has ended," she said.

Given the above that is a lie.

Yingluck said there was no truth to the allegation that the amnesty bill was designed to void corruption cases

Yet that is exactly what it will do.

Tell us again how many of those are against "Senior politicians"

You've summed it up perfectly.

The amnesty bills have been redrawn, except the one to be debated in the Senate today!!

Thank you, Thai people, for not believing in the Shinawattras lies this time around!!clap2.gif

Keep protesting, and you can bring this bunch of criminals down.

Power to the real people of Thailand!!

I think the amnesty bills have been withdrawn. They have not redrawn them (yet).

No - the one submitted to the Senate has not been withdrawn.

The statement is misleading in the extreme.

• Like 2

"She urged her opponents to submitarrow-10x10.png their demands and grievances to the government instead of protesting on the streets."

Strangely enough, that is what was tried during the rush through parliament, but PTP and their "neutral" chair weren't interested. Yingluk, as usual, wasn't in attendance.

• Like 1

These sort of politrics rattles through an already weary investment brigade, which can't be compensated for ever after every political crash.

I won't judge if or why this move is smart or not, simply because i try to live by logic and facts, something far from the day to day reality in Thailand.

Nice as expat, but a night mare as investor or business man/woman.

Bing...........what's next?

Amazing how she keeps on lying. The bills that have been withdrawn are the ones PT has not used and therefor are not the ones that have started the protests.

The bill that has started all the protests has NOT been withdrawn.

What a nasty cheater she is.

One option by which the government can show its sincerity would be to withdraw the original bill proposed by Worachai. As the draft owner, Worachai can propose to the House to withdraw his bill. This will lead to the bill being dropped immediately if the House votes for the proposal. This could calm down the protesters, as some of them came out on the streets only to oppose the bill.

NATION ANALYSIS
Govt caught in maze of its own making

Jintana Panyaarvudh,
Attayuth Bootsripoom
The Nation

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

A war of chess is underway. The decent people of Thailand have won the first battle. PTP will have other battles already well planned. The ultimate goal is to allow Thaksin back into Thailand as a free man and to reclaim his corrupt billions of baht along with an ongoing steady stream of corrupt money. He doesn't give one iota about the average decent law abiding Thai.

Many of my Thai friends talk openly about Thaksin's ultimate desire to overthrow the Monarchy and install himself as President of a Thai Republic. They also talk that Thaksin's elimination (read execution) would be a good/best outcome for Thailand. Think of other despots (Robert Mugabe, Kim Jongil, Omar Hassan Al-Bashir, Muammar Al-Qaddafu, Hosni Mubarak) and there can be no argument that Thaksin is a despot.

The outpouring of resistance against these so-called amnesty bills by ordinary decent Thais of all political persuasions is the only weapon they have and it is a mighty weapon. Public protest has worked in the past in other countries. Decent Thais want to be rid of Thaksin and corruption.

The war has just begun.

If you really believe that the other side is any less corrupt or is on the side of the ordinary Thai people, you, and your Thai friends, are seriously deluded.

A war of chess is underway. The decent people of Thailand have won the first battle. PTP will have other battles already well planned. The ultimate goal is to allow Thaksin back into Thailand as a free man and to reclaim his corrupt billions of baht along with an ongoing steady stream of corrupt money. He doesn't give one iota about the average decent law abiding Thai.

Many of my Thai friends talk openly about Thaksin's ultimate desire to overthrow the Monarchy and install himself as President of a Thai Republic. They also talk that Thaksin's elimination (read execution) would be a good/best outcome for Thailand. Think of other despots (Robert Mugabe, Kim Jongil, Omar Hassan Al-Bashir, Muammar Al-Qaddafu, Hosni Mubarak) and there can be no argument that Thaksin is a despot.

The outpouring of resistance against these so-called amnesty bills by ordinary decent Thais of all political persuasions is the only weapon they have and it is a mighty weapon. Public protest has worked in the past in other countries. Decent Thais want to be rid of Thaksin and corruption.

The war has just begun.

If you really believe that the other side is any less corrupt or is on the side of the ordinary Thai people, you, and your Thai friends, are seriously deluded.

In line with your comment, if you think that everybody is as corrupt and lies as much to the people as the Shins do, you have some serious judgement issues.

I agree just look at the rice scam and the 2 trillion loans Democrats were never corrupt on that scale. Problem even more so the PTP pulled the teeth of anti corruption agencies. How i wish there was an all powerful anti corruption agency to keep both democrat and PTP in line. Maybe giving them a salary bonus upon conviction and money retrieved from corrupt officials.

The war has just begun.

In line with your comment, if you think that everybody is as corrupt and lies as much to the people as the Shins do, you have some serious judgement issues.

You may well be right, but I wasn't referring to individuals. I stand by my comment that "the other side" is no less corrupt and is not on the side of the ordinary people.

All this rhetoric about forgiveness simply makes me sick when it comes from those who posses no moral indication of the ability to determine right from wrong. Stop hiding in the gray areas and star to identify that which is black or white.

• Like 2

She is piss weak. Should have sent the tanks in. That's what her brother would have done.

send in the tanks to do what...?..or is it to early for me and i,m missing your joke...w00t.gif

Send in the tank, and point the cannon at her. Off she go to Dubai.

You may well be right, but I wasn't referring to individuals. I stand by my comment that "the other side" is no less corrupt and is not on the side of the ordinary people.

If that is the case then why are the ones you say are just as corrupt in there fighting against a bill which would forgive any corruption ?