No wonder why some end up with financial problems!

khunpa

My GF would have gotten up and walked out, without a word.

Not to mention, the OP has no idea what the conversation was really about.

Only what his gf told him, and let's face it, she wants the house 100% paid for and in her name.

For all the OP knows they might have been talking about the latest pop songs.

So true. Another reason to learn the language. The GF probably told the bank lady at the outset "convince this dufus to buy the house in my name." She was probably laughing out of embarassment for the OP as he was coming across as a complete moron.

Berk, do you only ever post to bash expats/tourists who are in Thailand? The constant crap you come out along with your pathetic boot licking of everything Thai is actually disgusting. I do hope for your sake that this is only your online clown act.

• Like 1

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to understand the logic of why a farang can/should be able to buy residential land through a business when that land has nothing to do with the business itself. I wonder if this little "loophole" is on stable legal footing or if a Thai court could have another interpretation if push came to shove. And then you will be left saying "But everyone else is doing it!".

Well you chose that bank.

And honestly, if you foresee problems arisingwith your wife, why go into business with her, and why get married?

It's called trust. Stop being so paranoid of failure.

<deleted>, who would be so stupid to buy a house in your thai girlfriends name. Wise up

At a guys more the 60% of the guys that come here or is my estimate a little too generous?

She may have been laughing out of sympathy and embarrassment for your girlfriend. This is a hierarchical society and you not taking the chance to not only demonstrate your love for your girlfriend and to establish your high status by buying a home for her would seem very odd (to say the least) from a Thai perspective. You don't have to agree with it, you probably won't believe it but there it is.

Yeah, really what's the point of hooking up with a f-rang if he doesn't buy you a house? Makes perfect sense to me!

Gee-Whizz JT, is that all farangs are good for? Buying houses for their thai wives. Where is the love?

Should have ended the conversation with, and I like to close my accounts here in this bank please.

Then you will see reactions.

What reaction? She/he is just another worker taking salary and don't care about shit if the farang walk away with his money. You have to complain and be loud and stern . At 4.00 pm they start looking at the clock / watch. ( some banks had removed the clock from their branch ) . Some banks are more friendly if you flirt a bit.

Only what his gf told him, and let's face it, she wants the house 100% paid for and in her name.

So true. Another reason to learn the language. The GF probably told the bank lady at the outset "convince this dufus to buy the house in my name." She was probably laughing out of embarassment for the OP as he was coming across as a complete moron.

Berk, do you only ever post to bash expats/tourists who are in Thailand? The constant crap you come out along with your pathetic boot licking of everything Thai is actually disgusting. I do hope for your sake that this is only your online clown act.

Coming from a serial Thai-hater and admitted racist, your opinion means squat to me.

That's actually fairly typical. You have to realize that most personnel are not well educated and you won't get professional service that you would expect in many other countries. I mean like a High School Diploma if lucky. Often they are not trained either, just put into such roles and expected to perform, and are paid quite low even though they appear to have a professional position and are dressed like they earn more.

I need to mention the Thai habit of interjecting of personal stuff into business transactions as well. This includes the commenting on relationships and other baloney like you got from the loan officer. It's a way of establishing pecking order that shall have no place in the transaction, this also opens the door to corruption, taking/offering of bribes and other things we see so often here that are not in the rule book.

This is most of why I would never open a business here, why I don't have property here and never will, and why when the time comes I shall refuse to transfer the money needed for a retirement visa into a Thai bank.

Essentially, I beat Thai society at it's own game. I won. I'm a winner.

I colonized Thailand on a small level by coming away with more then I entered with.

Edited by donniereadit

You as a foreigner are not deemed worthy eonough to own land in Thailand. (there are a few ways around this corporate ownership etc...)

You can however own the home, I know that sounds ludicrous but it's true. You can own the house but not the land it sits on. Any way with that said.....

a solution is for you to buy the land in your wifes / gf's name. Have here give you a 30 or 90 year lease on the land for a few baht per month while of course mentioning in the paperwork the reason for the low lease price was that in fact you did pay for the land in the first place.

You may then build your new home in your name alone, jointly whatever you like.

There is a legal firm in Los Angeles that has offices here in Thailand that can handle all the paperwork for you. I only mention that because lawyers in the US have a slightly better set of rules they have to follow in representing therr clients than if you hire a Thai lawyer directly. And if problems later arise it would be the American firm with it's lawyers here representing you. That could be a + or -?

Good luck

You as a foreigner are not deemed worthy eonough to own land in Thailand. (there are a few ways around this corporate ownership etc...)

You can however own the home, I know that sounds ludicrous but it's true. You can own the house but not the land it sits on. Any way with that said.....

a solution is for you to buy the land in your wifes / gf's name. Have here give you a 30 or 90 year lease on the land for a few baht per month while of course mentioning in the paperwork the reason for the low lease price was that in fact you did pay for the land in the first place.

There is a legal firm in Los Angeles that has offices here in Thailand that can handle all the paperwork for you. I only mention that because lawyers in the US have a slightly better set of rules they have to follow in representing therr clients than if you hire a Thai lawyer directly. And if problems later arise it would be the American firm with it's lawyers here representing you. That could be a + or -?

Good luck

Contracts between husband and wife are not legally binding in Thailand.

Surprised your US lawyers didn't mention that.

Looks like they aren't that good after all.

Good luck

Oh boy, there we go again......

Complete and utter bullshit from start to finish.

Protect your rights in a real estate owned by a Thai spouse

You may not be familiar with the right of usufruct in Thailand as it is a typical Civil Law property right and you may also not be aware what your rights and obligations under a right of usufruct are.

The usufruct of an immovable property is primarily the right to use and manage another person's real estate property and receive the benefits ('fruits') from it. Management in this matter means to the extent permissible for foreigners under Thailand land laws. This means you can live in the house and you can for example rent it out and keep the rent but as a foreigner you cannot register a rental exceeding 3 years with the Land Department.

http://www.samuiforsale.com/family-law/usufruct-in-a-thai-marriage.html

You may not be familiar with the right of usufruct in Thailand as it is a typical Civil Law property right and you may also not be aware what your rights and obligations under a right of usufruct are.

The usufruct of an immovable property is primarily the right to use and manage another person's real estate property and receive the benefits ('fruits') from it. Management in this matter means to the extent permissible for foreigners under Thailand land laws. This means you can live in the house and you can for example rent it out and keep the rent but as a foreigner you cannot register a rental exceeding 3 years with the Land Department.

Just another type of contract, not legally binding between a husband and wife in Thailand.

What is the matter with you people, why can't you listen!

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

Amazing how much hate and how many "smart" guys there is on this website. All with what seems to be knowledge and experiences picked up from the bar scene only.

I write about an unprofessional bank woman and suddenly my girlfriend is a part of a scam to cheat me. Guys, you need to get out of the bars and visit the real Thailand and hang out with real Thai-women. This means them you do not have to bar fine or buy drinks, before they will sit down and talk with you.

Far from all Thai-women are gold-diggers and many are actually extremely loyal and amazing partners. But it takes a walk away from the bar and a different attitude to see that. Also 2 weeks per year in Thailand or living in an isolated expat community, does also not really give an idea of Thailand or Thai-women.

Then we have the people who just lovers ANYTHING Thai. Now the Farang is the stupid one, no matter what he does or if he has anything bad to say about Thais. Again, no real idea of what Thailand is all about. Nobody in this world is perfect - including Thais. But hey, how can you explain that to someone, who thinks he is a Thai-expert and all other Farangs are stupid?

To all the users with constructive and positive feedback... Thanks! To all the others with only stupid barfly remarks... Have a great holiday here and good luck in life with your way of thinking!

Just another type of contract, not legally binding between a husband and wife in Thailand.

What is the matter with you people, why can't you listen!

Because I don't think you are correct. I can make a marriage contract in Thailand. I can make a rental contract in Thailand. I can make a loan contract in Thailand. I can make a pre nup in Thailand. All with my wife. You mean all those lawyers are wrong and you are right? Are you a Thai Lawyer or have any documentation of what you are saying? A simple link to a site that says you can't make a legal contract with a Thai wife would be great. For example I submit the following from http://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/thailand-property-faq.php

If your spouse is Thai, and you are planning to build a house on his/her land, you are recommended to sign a lease agreement with your spouse indicating that you are a tenant. This way, you shall have a joint ownership over such construction, not a land, together with your spouse.

Edited by thailiketoo

Far from all Thai-women are gold-diggers and many are actually extremely loyal and amazing partners.

No problem then, put the house in her name.

To all the others with only stupid barfly remarks... Have a great holiday here and good luck in life with your way of thinking!

But .....

A lot of us 'barflys' can speak/understand Thai ....... and you can't.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Far from all Thai-women are gold-diggers and many are actually extremely loyal and amazing partners.

No problem then, put the house in her name.

To all the others with only stupid barfly remarks... Have a great holiday here and good luck in life with your way of thinking!

But .....

A lot of us 'barflys' can speak/understand Thai ....... and you can't.

So now speaking and understanding Thai is equal to how smart you are financially? - in e.g. protecting both parties in a relationship, when making an important investment/purchase? Something that in ANY other country in the world, would be seen as intelligence and common sense...

Why people buy Health Insurances, when there is nothing wrong with their health at this given moment, is now a mystery to me. Is it because they are stupid, due to not speaking or understanding Thai? Must be!

Funny, how what is supposed to be educated grown up men, would NEVER purchase a house and put it entirely in a girlfriends name in their home country. But here in Thailand you are by some Farangs marked as stupid, if you do not put it entirely in your girlfriends name.

But maybe my ignorance and stupidity about financial matters, is all related to me not speaking or understanding Thai. I speak and understand 6 other languages... Does that count? Hmm... I guess not...

I can not wait until I learn Thai properly and "see the light"... That will be the day, when I realize that my girlfriend is cheating, lying and stealing from me... right? And that will also be the time when I find out, that I am just so much smarter that ALL the other non Thai-speaking Farangs here... Wow... I just can't wait! Signing up for extra classes tomorrow!

However, I am wondering why Thai bargirls are so bad at e.g. simple Math, when they speak and understand Thai so good?????? But maybe you can make me understand that... since you are perfect at Thai???? Please help me understand, Master!

Edited by khunpa

Sounds like the OP's more pissed off about being laughed at cos, frankly, I'd have just got up, walked out and gone to a different branch or called Head Office.

True, and finding another branch is what I am going to do :-)

Thank you SO MUCH for this amazingly wise and smart reply.

Yes, my girlfriend is Thai and because she is that, then of course she is after 100% of everything. That is just the way, ALL those horrible, evil and un-trustable Thai-women are, right? It is just SO great, when confronted with the facts of how all Thai-women are. (all bargirls just wanting money, houses and pickup trucks)

And I (the stupid Farang) just sat there and believed everything my Thai-girlfriend said. Wow, I am just SO stupid! But now you made me see the truth!

Thank you again for your comment! It is always great, when Thai-women experts like you make stupid Farangs like me, wake up to reality.

• Like 1

Why people buy Health Insurances, when there is nothing wrong with their health at this given moment, is now a mystery to me. Is it because they are stupid, due to not speaking or understanding Thai? Must be!

Funny, how what is supposed to be educated grown up men, would NEVER purchase a house and put it entirely in a girlfriends name in their home country. But here in Thailand you are by some Farangs marked as stupid, if you do not put it entirely in your girlfriends name.

I don't have health insurance, nothing wrong with my health, and I have enough to pay my own bills, if needed.

I have purchased a house for my wife, well I paid the deposit, it will be entirely hers after another 25 years of payments. If we split up, no hard feelings from me, she can make her own payments, it's her house not mine. I think a foreigner trying to own a house in Thailand is a bit stupid, because it's against the law, so you're inviting trouble from day 1.

Thank you SO MUCH for this amazingly wise and smart reply.

Yes, my girlfriend is Thai and because she is that, then of course she is after 100% of everything. That is just the way, ALL those horrible, evil and un-trustable Thai-women are, right? It is just SO great, when confronted with the facts of how all Thai-women are. (all bargirls just wanting money, houses and pickup trucks)

And I (the stupid Farang) just sat there and believed everything my Thai-girlfriend said. Wow, I am just SO stupid! But now you made me see the truth!

Thank you again for your comment! It is always great, when Thai-women experts like you make stupid Farangs like me, wake up to reality.

No problem, you're welcome.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Well you chose that bank.

And honestly, if you foresee problems arisingwith your wife, why go into business with her, and why get married?

It's called trust. Stop being so paranoid of failure.

....And why waste money on a health insurance, when I am feeling just fine right now? People say I look really healthy, so why not just save the money?... Hey, I think I will!

Thanks man, You are so right... It is all about TRUST. I love her and she loves me... and what could possibly go wrong?

Wow, until now... I have been so stupid and paranoid... I forgot the TRUST and LOVE, which is all that matters!

Thank you!

PS. Just mailed BUPA that I no longer need a health insurance and going to pay the house in my girlfriends name on monday morning :-) Life is great as long as you have LOVE and TRUST! :-)

Edited by khunpa