Thai govt warns of tough action if protests against amnesty bill escalate irrationally

webfact

Govt warns of tough action if protests escalate irrationally
By English News

13839674748317.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 9 – The government will fully exercise its powers if protests against the amnesty bill escalate to incite purging of the present administration, according to a prime minister’s close aide.

Suranand Vejjajiva, secretary general to the prime minister, stood firm that the government would not disperse protesters whose demonstrations are in accordance with the democratic system.

The prime minister has made it clear that the controversy on amnesty bill has ended and the Senate is in the process of rejecting the legislation, he said.

He urged senators, especially members of the “40 Senators Group” to join the Upper House’s debate on the amnesty bill to cool down the political temperature.

The Senate’s session to debate the amnesty bill yesterday was called off when less than half of the 149-member Upper House turned up. The session was rescheduled to Monday.

Dragging the conflict until next Monday would cause damages to the country, said Mr Suranand who brushed aside the possibility of dispatching military forces to deal with demonstrators.

Regarding an announcement by Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban to set up a people’s tribunal to resolve the amnesty controversy, Mr Suranand said it was inappropriate to raise the idea of a kangaroo court when all parties concerned should follow the legal procedure.

He said he believed a rally by Red Shirt demonstrators in Bangkok on Sunday will be organised peacefully.

Those who successively hold undemocratic activities or attempt to topple the government will face tough action, he warned.

Mr Suranand said the prime minister would refrain from travelling abroad, given Monday’s verdict of the International Court of Justice on the Preah Vihear temple dispute. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-09

• Like 2

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"The government will fully exercise its powers if protests against the amnesty bill escalate to incite purging of the present administration, according to a prime minister’s close aide. Suranand Vejjajiva, secretary general to the prime minister, stood firm that the government would not disperse protesters whose demonstrations are in accordance with the democratic system."

Hmm why do the PTP ministers leave a such an important announcement to a lackey?

If this is truly a 'reconciliation' bill, why the massive protests...and from both sides! The PTP's goose is truly cooked. I don't see them surviving another election in its current form, regardless of what happens now. Too many pissed off reds, as they are starting to see what this government is truly all about. Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive.

It seems PTP feel it is a done deal the senate will reject the bill, almost as if PTP need it to be rejected for fear the senate may try to change it.

Spot on! If they revert to the original format, pardoning the smaller fry but excluding Abhisit, Suthep and Thaksin - as we should hope - then the latter will be well and truly finished. Any future amnesty bill would have to be for the Dubai fugitive all on his own, and that has no chance of ever getting through.

Loving the intrigue, better than a Thai soapie not that that is too hard to be better than. Now just need a few "heavies" to now tell the fugitive criminal caddy to stick his ideas where the sun doesn't shine to really top-off the never ending drama.

And none of the above criticise the senate members for not turning up, facilitating continued protest and unrest.......tunnel vision at its best

Wrong on all counts!!

The bill was due to be tabled on Monday. Yingluck stated quite clearly that she and her Government would not interfere with the Senate. The Government whips have lobbied the Senate and the time table of the bill was moved from Monday to yesterday - That IS interference in the workings of the Senate. The Senators who did not attend, the 40 that you are blaming (actually about 80 in total, remember it needed 40 to get to a quorum, there were also lot of others missing) were 100% correct to send the message to the Government to keep their noses out. If nothing else the Senate can not rush in to a decision without deliberating correctly, to a full house the issues surrounding this bill. Unlike the Lower House who sneaked it through at 4am in the morning after refusing the opposition the chance to debate.

It needs thinking about! Furthermore, for a Government who are not going to interfere with the Senate's due process, Yingluck has already said the Senate will work on rejecting the bill !! Strange thing to say for a policy of non-interference don't you think? Perhaps the only way to truly suppress this bill for good is to pass it, amend it significantly to release from jail only Mr and Mrs Joe Protestor from the streets, or indeed after amendment to ensure it is quashed in the courts for good. Either way Yingluck has the option of sliding this through directly in 180 days removed for ever.

It must be very frustrating for you at the moment having to clutch at straws to find something positive to say about this bunch of totally incompetent and crooked politicians.

I expect you didn't notice.....I'm not one that gets frustrated around here smile.png are you telling me now that with the majority of the electorate apparently against the bill, the senate need to follow due process and debate.... what exactly....how to come up with an unbiased conclusion perhaps.....yep I guess that may take quite some time......I wonder how long it took to debate the amnesty for the coup leaders....would you have that information to hand?

So they don't need the Army, Rent a thug will clear the anti amnesty protesters instead! So tomorrow it may all kick off or not?

not easy to do on Sunday...too many people.

But they could brake it up sometime like 3-4 AM on Monday.

And none of the above criticise the senate members for not turning up, facilitating continued protest and unrest.......tunnel vision at its best

I think that in a case such as this, absolutely all the senators should be there to cast a vote.

Given that by the very nature of their jobs they live in all provinces of the country, giving them a day's notice to be there was unprofessional as well as undemocratic.

Your post, therefore, is balderdash!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

What would be truly hilarious is that the group of 40 voted in favour of the bill and as a result it was accepted

Hopefully they will vote in favor of reviewing and amending it, not just those 40 but the majority of them.

Don't reject it guys, otherwise it's going through 180 days later anyway !!!

"The prime minister has made it clear that the controversy on amnesty bill has ended and the Senate is in the process of rejecting the legislation, he said."

I thought PM said the Senate was beyond interference ? Seems like they know the result already !

The only thing that will work for the government now, is rejection of the bill. If it had gone through without protests, happy days. However, now that option has been scuppered, they need it to be rejected so they can slam it through unhindered in 180 days time. If it is accepted but altered by the Senate, Big Brother will have to stay in the desert smile.png

How can the lady say 'the controversy on the amnesty bill has ended....'

It ends when the protestors say they are finished, not when she says it's finished.

• Like 1

I think that in a case such as this, absolutely all the senators should be there to cast a vote.

Given that by the very nature of their jobs they live in all provinces of the country, giving them a day's notice to be there was unprofessional as well as undemocratic.

Your post, therefore, is balderdash!

"absolutely all senators there to cast a vote"

Right......and when you wake up how do you think in the bright light of the Thai day

You may also take into account it is reported that a group of 40 senators are said to have boycotted the debate, mentioning "outside person" was lobbying senators to bring forward the amnesty bill debate in a bid to put a quick end to the political protests

Rather suggests your post is embarrassing and my initial post rather more linked to reality

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 2