Has anyone seen/heard a Thai male - farang female couple?

sadhukar

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often suspected it, and this forum topic only increases my suspicions. Perhaps I should start another forum.

However, it seems to me that many of the posters here are Westerners who have lived in Thailand for many years, yet seem to know so little of Thai culture and have few, if any, Thai friends.

I think if you had more Thai friends, you would have seen more Thai male-Western female realtionships. Thais are perhaps more likely to accept those relationships than Westerners. Hence, the Western women in those relationships tend to withdraw from Western social situatons.

Thai males married/partnered to Westerner/foreigner females is perhaps less prevalent than UK males married to foreigners, but those relationships are certainly not few and far between.

Get out a little more, make some Thai friends, you know, real friends. It will make your stay here much easier.

It never ceases to amaze me--it seems we falangs most often come here to get away from our native lands and all the other falangs who live their; yet when we come here, all we do is hang out with other falangs. Go figure.

• Like 1

I have known quite a few of these couples and through my observations I have created a stereotype.

Hippy styled western girls date Thai guys, and for the majority it seems the Thai guy falls into one of the following categories: artist, musician, bar owner. Most of them have long hair or dredds, usually a bit of facial hair and crap quality tattoos.

I don't know the financial situation, but I can speculate that the guy is making very little money.

Good observation.

These guys also have the correct alpha attitude, often macho or thugs, and that's what chicks dig for.

Often they are also on a pump-and-dump mission. Nothing wrong with that.

Not true, I know a Thai man (about 35 years old) he writes books and columns about travel in Thailand (in Thai and English, under various pen names) and he and his English wife run a very successful Thai cooking school. She is the same age as her husband and has a Thai passport, they met when the husband was at school in England and have been together for about 10 or 12 years. They have 3 kids, all born in Thailand, and are very obviously a very happy and successful family. They spend about 9 months of the year here in Thailand and 3 months in England where they run a part-time Thai cooking school. Part of the reason for 3 months per year is so that their kids get exposure to Western culture, behaviors, etc., and the kids spend most of the 3 months in England in school.

I'm also aware of a very different example: Young Thai man (Mr. X.), good looking, great smile, about 21 / 22 years old has become a very good manager of an upmarket restaurant, he's been lucky enough to get some very good training and he's very good at all aspects of restaurant management and particularly good at charming female customers, he speaks very advanced English.

A farang who owns many successful restaurants, on vacation from London, notices Mr. X in Bkk and offers him the same job in a new very big Thai restaurant the farang is setting up in London.

Mr. X. tells his Thai wife (she has a young toddler) he'll go to London for one year then come back to Thailand. Mr X. departs, now about 15 years later, the Thai wife has never heard from him, not once.

Mr. X. leaves Thailand with outstanding loan taken from a loan shark to buy a small house. Thai wife goes through hell with the loan shark, loses the house, car, everything.

In London in the approx. 15 years he's been there, he married and divorced three farang women and has children with all three.

The brother of Mr. X was my work colleague for many years here, I still have occasional contact with the brother, he keeps me updated on Mr. X.

And your point is ???

Western women are no different to the men in the respect of opposite attractions. We like the petite, dark skinned beauties, while the western girls go for the same thing. The reason is the same as for the men. Where in the UK would a young western girl find such a man? All the guys in the west are (mainly) big and very white so the western girls want something a bit different.

That's my take on it anyway.

BTW I have known of seven western females who have found Thai boyfriends, two worked out, the others were like the girls who see you as an ATM!

I saw some in Chiang Mai, but it's VERY rare. Youngish backpacker type chick and a younger (20's) hip type Thai with spikey hair.

I have also seen some strange single foreigner females sitting around that give off a lesbian vibe, usually younger (20's) types. And a good deal more Japanese female couples that look like lesbians.

Got to laugh at this comment: Lesbians ? Does any young female who doesn't look at you and smile look like a lesbian by any chance ?

-------------

With the numbers of Western ladies in Thailand it would be only natural that many of them enter into a relationship with a Thai gent - Odds are that they are far more likely to meet a Thai chappy than a Westerner simply because there are so many more Thai chaps about.

Much in the same way it's only natural that many Western men meet Thai ladies... Lets face had the majority of males with Thai Wives / Partners been living in Spain (for example) they would have met and settled with Spanish ladies...

Thus: It makes plenty of sense that a Western Lady will meet a Thai Gent and settle down into what I imagine are very normal relationships, much in the same way many Western Men are in very normal relationships with Thai ladies (we only hear of the train wrecks on these forums, normality is very boring to write about !).

I see a fault in your logic!

Western ladies generally also marry to improve their status/lifestyle, very few will settle for a poorer male.

Same with Spanish ladies, most western guys don't have the cash (relatively speaking) to attract in Spain.

What a "macho" attitude. I don't know if you have realised that we are living in the 21st century, where in most countries and cultures there is such a thing as equality of genders. A well educated lady now a days can look after herself and does not depend on her partner's money. And so it should be!!!

A close friend of mine is married to a Thai guy. He now has UK citizenship and they are expecting a baby. She has a circle of friends that all have Thai partners, mostly met in Koh Samui. My wife has an American friend who is going out with a Thai guy, although he is not the fire-breather type, more of the Thai-Chinese ilk.

I know a few couples; it does not seem that uncommon in BKK. Most of the thai guys are reasonably well educated (either overseas or at one of the 'better' schools here). No one thinks anything of it, the guys are pretty much the same as any farang guy (they all speak very good English)

I am an American woman.Married to a Thai man.

We had a Thai common marriage in 1973 when we were 19 years old.

Lost each other when I had to leave Thailand in 75. My mom returned all his mail he was sending to me. I did NOT know she did that---and there were no cells or internet back then. I could not find him, nor him me. After about 4 years we both went on with life thinking the other lost feelings.

He found me again after almost 4 decades. (Thanks facebook!!)

We remarried.

Thai marriage 9-12-12 in Bangkok.

Registered the marriage in America on 12-12-12.

Applied for his visa September-2012.

He came to USA 3 months ago. (Took 11 months to get his visa)

Truly, the love of my life.

Wow! Fantastic story.

Actually it took 40 years and eleven months!

The inadequecies are commonly known. Once a farang work ethic, ideals and values become known to thai women, their preference is clear. An iconic example of the male species can commonly be seen languishing around the ubiquitous motorbike stands

The inadequecies are commonly known. Once a farang work ethic, ideals and values become known to thai women, their preference is clear. An iconic example of the male species can commonly be seen languishing around the ubiquitous motorbike stands. Why take on a deadbeat?

I've seen a Thai man and his farang wife and their children quite often in Central World shopping center and in an around Ubon.

Thai women with farang men are ubiquitous around the larger cities in Thailand, the other way around, not so much.

In CM

I met an American female missionary (25ish) with a hill tribe Thai fiance.

She complained that his family expected her to pay for everything.

That's interesting. They always find a way to ridicule themselves. I mean thais always say that the man is the provider and is supposed to act accordingly. Now in this case have they mistaken the American girl for a male or is it just the Thai ingenuity at its finest?

I know a few couples; it does not seem that uncommon in BKK. Most of the thai guys are reasonably well educated (either overseas or at one of the 'better' schools here). No one thinks anything of it, the guys are pretty much the same as any farang guy (they all speak very good English)

I've had the same experience, having met several Thai male/farang female couples. In all cases, the Thai guys seem to be educated, from good families, reasonably well-off or middle class, and generally have something going for them.

In CM

I met an American female missionary (25ish) with a hill tribe Thai fiance.

She complained that his family expected her to pay for everything.

That's interesting. They always find a way to ridicule themselves. I mean thais always say that the man is the provider and is supposed to act accordingly. Now in this case have they mistaken the American girl for a male or is it just the Thai ingenuity at its finest?

She may not have been all that feminine.

Edited by Showbags

I've had the same experience, having met several Thai male/farang female couples. In all cases, the Thai guys seem to be educated, from good families, reasonably well-off or middle class, and generally have something going for them.

That seems to prove that females do not think with their penis....or their equivalent bit, whatever that is.

Edited by Showbags

We have an esteemed moderator who runs an island resort with her Thai husband. She provides quite a few interesting insights on the farang wife/Thai husband dynamics. Peruse the "Ladies in Thailand" forum to find her posts.