Bradycardia

dogpoo

At what point should you consider going to get checked out, I have always had a slowish heartbeat but recently it has been below 50 and as low as 44 BPM been getting some dizziness and palpitations, is this normal or should I be concerned?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Are you serious?

Yes I'm serious, I have read BPM as low as 40 is normal in some people hence why I am asking the question, I will go on Monday to see a doctor, I have had low BPM all my life so it's nothing new but it has gone lower over the last couple of weeks!!

are ypou doing lots of sports ?

No, I exercise every day for 30/45 mins on the exercise bike other than that no, I think I will go to be checked out as my BPM has never gone as low as 42 which is what it is at the moment!

No, I exercise every day for 30/45 mins on the exercise bike other than that no, I think I will go to be checked out as my BPM has never gone as low as 42 which is what it is at the moment!

If your heart rate is running at 42/minute you need an urgent evaluation and ECG.

Please do not delay seeking advise.

If your heart rate is running at 42/minute you need an urgent evaluation and ECG.

Please do not delay seeking advise. 

Just waiting for the gf to come home then I will go to the hospital!

Unless you are taking a beta blocker medication, this is indeed an indication of a cardiac abnormality and should see a cardiologist ASAP.

If you ARE on a beta blocker, and your heart rate is staying below 50 then should also see your doctor for possible medication adjustment but less urgent.

Be sure to count your pulse for a full minute, the 15 second and multiply by 4 method is not accurate with slow or irregular heart rates.

I am just back from the hospital, I had an ECG which was compared to one I had 2 yrs ago, they were virtually identical, pulse rate 2 yrs ago was 49 , pulse rate this time was 46, doc says nothing to worry about it is the normal rate for me!! I have done some reading and very low pulse rates are normal for fit people, I guess I must be fit!!

Edited by dogpoo

Pleased it all turned out well smile.png

The reason I urged an urgent review was because of your describing " dizziness and palpitations" associated with the low pulse rate which could be indicative of a need for urgent treatment/intervention.

Was the Dr you saw a Cardiologist? If not I would urge you to see one especially if you suffer a repeat of the " dizziness and palpitations" in association with the low pulse rate.

As my heartbeat rate has been very low for the last 2 yrs that I now know off it would appear it is normal for me, I am happy with what the doctor said, it is possible the palpitations are related to stress, anyway I am happy with the outcome! Thanks to all that offered advice.