Poppy Day today,

Lickey

When I hear Poppy Day I think of the song below.

I always associate this day with the older generation who either fought in a war or remember the consequences of war.

WW1 certainly dramatically changed the world for the better, probably.

I wonder how long people will remember Nov 11. My children probably won't when they are my age.

Was Thailand involved in WW1?

My world history is terrible but I do remember what I consider important wars/battles/dates - 24th June ,1314; 12th July,1690.

Edited by Neeranam

Thanks Lickey, I didn't realise how many Australian men died in WW1. As I sit here at 11am I am indeed grateful for the sacrifice of those men and women and all the others since. At these times I am always reminded of the lyrics in John Lennon's immortal song - Imagine. If only that was true.

Lest we forget.

• Like 1

Thank you to those we remember :)

To OP,

Crossbar on Sukhumvit Soi 23 opposite Chokchai Steakhouse between Asoke road and Soi 23 main part has them every year. Bryan the landlord was telling me who they sent some up country to where they had quite a few veterans who couln't get either. If you're looking for some next time, maybe get in touch.

Cheers

Fletch :)

• Like 1

Was Thailand involved in WW1?

Interesting question, so looked it up. Thailand had a very minimal involvement, but certainly benefited on the international stage by declaring war on the Central Powers in 1917.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siam_in_World_War_I

I attended the Thai ceremony at Sanam Luang today. Slightly over 1,000 Thais deployed to the war in an aviation and motor transport units, and 19 died while serving (two while still in Thailand and the other 17 in Europe.)

Lickey, a number of bars and restaurants have them year round. I saw the British version at Molley Malones after attending the ceremony at the UK embassy on Sunday. The American ones are readily available as well. If you contact the Royal British Legion or the American Veterans of Foreign Wars, I am sure you can get a list of locations where you can get poppies.

• Like 1

Pig and Whistle in Jomtien had them

I heard that is where the Chelsea mob hang out. Maybe some 'pensioners' as well?

Don't think so, mostly all the customers are going there go to eat, they don't get many drinking customer due, I think, to the fact they don't have a farang manager.

Closed by 11pm most days