Should I buy a used Ford in Thailand?

scottmercer86

...so then, can I find a better deal on a 7 seater for 500,000฿ than a 2007 Limited edition Ford Everest 2.5 litre with 73000 kilometers?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

.... Here's another 'better deal':

http://www.one2car.com/ISUZU_MU-7/K06130182

'08 MU-7, 57,xxx original km - THB 550,000

The '08 models have the 2 DVD screens (kids will luv it!) and added GPS(?) and the updated 3.0L engine modification - more power!

.... and there are more deals to be discovered within those 6 pgs. of listings! Posted Image

My friend loaned me his 2012 Mu-7 for 4 months and we hated it. Felt like a truck not an SUV. The opposite of luxury.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...so then, can I find a better deal on a 7 seater for 500,000฿ than a 2007 Limited edition Ford Everest 2.5 litre with 73000 kilometers?

.... Here's another 'better deal':

http://www.one2car.com/ISUZU_MU-7/K06130182

'08 MU-7, 57,xxx original km - THB 550,000

The '08 models have the 2 DVD screens (kids will luv it!) and added GPS(?) and the updated 3.0L engine modification - more power!

.... and there are more deals to be discovered within those 6 pgs. of listings! Posted Image

My friend loaned me his 2012 Mu-7 for 4 months and we hated it. Felt like a truck not an SUV. The opposite of luxury.

Plus DVD players in cars are overrated, we just give our kids iPads now.

Plus DVD players in cars are overrated, we just give our kids iPads now. �

..... in that case, that '07 Everest deal looks good (and may be hard to beat!)

On the face of it....sounds like a good deal...Its what you need apparently! And if a 4 door truck is still too small (can get one for a little over 500,000 baht new) then go for it.! My big concern is buying a used car in Thailand ...".Everything is not what it seems in the land of Smiles"..go with caution! and good luck

• Like 1

I'd buy a Ford in Thailand. The new Ranger looks to be the duck's nuts and at half the price you'd pay in Australia. As much as I'd really like to buy one, I don't really need a pickup. I'm going to wait until the new Ford Everest is produced. It's a 7 seater SUV based on the new Ranger platform, hopefully with the 3.2 diesel. Looks as though it'll be a complete makeover on the current model. Hopefully it'll be produced in Thailand at a reasonable price.

I own a Ford Escape in OZ. Great car with lots of power in the V6 petrol. It's barely needed any maintance. When purchasing a car in Thailand the missus said to stay away from Ford because nobody drives Fords in Thailand. We bought a Honda CRV instead. It's pretty gutless but seems to have a good build quality. I've since seen heaps of Escapes in Thailand but not sure about the 4 cylider model. They seem quite reasonable in price on the second hand market in Thailand. Many older (2001-ish) models have issues with the central locking and are a pain in the backside to repair.

You never buy a ford not here or anywhere, just my opinion though. The label says ford, its a mazda. If i bought a truck here it would be an isuzu.

Dam_n, wish I had consulted you before I bought one sad.png

well my opinion does not nesecery have to reflect the reality. I dont know where thai ford is built, it might be better then north EU ones.

You never buy a ford not here or anywhere, just my opinion though. The label says ford, its a mazda. If i bought a truck here it would be an isuzu.

Dam_n, wish I had consulted you before I bought one sad.png

well my opinion does not nesecery have to reflect the reality. I dont know where thai ford is built, it might be better then north EU ones.

I was just pullin' yer pisser :)

Had several Fords over the years in the U.K and they were all <deleted>.

Only bought one here because at the time they weren't very popular, plus they were clearing stock on 0% finance.

But I have been pleasantly surprised by it. Great truck and after 60+k in 2 years, not a single issue with it.

I bought the 2.5 Ranger Open Cab and they are built here in Thailand, same factory as Mazda I do believe ?

Just sold my 2011 Ford Everest, not a bad car but after 2 years of Ford "service", I rage quit them and am picking up a new Fortuner in a couple of weeks.

The missus said after the mouthful I gave them it's probably a good idea not to go back, we might find the brakes not working. They had the car for a day, didn't do what I'd booked it in for (they don't have a wheel balance machine..... so why let me book it in for a wheel balance?) and gave me a bill for "washing" the car. When questioned about the road grime on the side, apparently they washed the underside of the car.

The vehicle itself is not bad, I just can't take that level of stupid from the dealership any more.

What did you sell it for?

...2007 Ford Everest here in Thailand.

I have a Thai friend who made me second guess myself, because he said he wasn't sure Ford was good here in Thailand. He thought that parts may be very expensive to fix it when it breaks down.

Have any of you owned a Ford or do you have any input?

Not an Everest but a couple of Rangers which I liked very much, have used them off-road and on and find them a good solid vehicle. Servicing not expensive but not a "luxury" 7 seater by any means.

Unless there is no Ford dealer within your local area parts/servicing should not be expensive as the Everest is built in Thailand, just East of Pattaya (also in Vietnam).

For the type of vehicle you are looking for within that price range personally I would only get a Toyota Sport Rider (Variant of the Hilux model) you could buy the best seen 4x4/AT and still have some budget spare.

With the spare cash you could get a respray or interior upgrade and have a better make than a Ford in better condition for the same money - no brainer really IMHO.

I wouldn't buy a Ford, period.

I worked for the world's largest Ford dealership, Galpin Ford in Los Angeles for 5 years and you wouldn't believe the things I saw or heard from owners. Overall, not a pretty picture if you don't intend on buying new and then selling every 4 or 5 years. Bottom line is, they're just fine for the first 5 years and after that... watch out. Resale value as the years go on is a big disadvantage. Your investment will plummet and the amount of repairs that will be needed will escalate. My advice from one who knows first hand, steer clear of any Ford or any American car for that matter. They're built to fall apart. On the other hand, you can't beat a Toyota. I've owned two in my life and they run forever with regular oil changes & hold their resale value tremendously. Go with a sure thing.

• Like 1

The main reason I would buy a Ford here is because it is a Mazda, with all of that proven Japanese engineering and QC. I would be just as happy with any of the Japanese brands - Toyota, Isuzu, Nissan. But I have a Ford (2.5 turbo pick up, build 2000) that runs well and is easy to maintain up here in Chiang Mai. I like Mazda/Ford having owned 3 of their cars back in Australia - all of which I sold at over 300,000 km and no repairs other than normal service.

is the one on Bath&Sold Classified? Lokk nice car and run already the new Ford Engine Duratorq, is powerful enough and no problem so far, we got 3 Ford Ranger pick up with the same engine and all of them already over 200.000km without any particular issue, just regular service every 10.000km. have a look if you can bring the price down to 500.000thb and close the deal.

I bought one of the first models of Everest in 2004. I only kept it for a few years, but was pretty happy with it. The build quality was good, there were never any sort of niggling minor issues and never any major issue. It was a 2.5 turbo, and as stated, the power could have been better, but unless you're using it around mountains or hauling lots of people you wouldn't notice it much. What I didn't care for was the under steer, which was not good if you live in an area where there are lots of sharp curves to negotiate.

It was the top model, and provided lots of comfort. Everyone who rode in it commented as such. I think they are a good value now on the used market because the price is so low. I would use IMHO's advice about availability of parts.

• Like 1

is the one on Bath&Sold Classified? Lokk nice car and run already the new Ford Engine Duratorq, is powerful enough and no problem so far, we got 3 Ford Ranger pick up with the same engine and all of them already over 200.000km without any particular issue, just regular service every 10.000km. have a look if you can bring the price down to 500.000thb and close the deal.

Unless there is no Ford dealer within your local area parts/servicing should not be expensive as the Everest is built in Thailand, just East of Pattaya (also in Vietnam).

Parts won't be too much of a problem while the model is still in production.. the issue with Ford is getting parts once production stops...

If the '07 Everest in question is the one in Baht & Sold, on the face of it, it looks to be pretty good. It's advertised to be in excellent condition and that in itself is good.

Also, if you live near a large metropolitan area like Chiang Mai, parts and service will be less of an issue.

Go for a test drive and check it out for yourself!

Just sold my 2011 Ford Everest, not a bad car but after 2 years of Ford "service", I rage quit them and am picking up a new Fortuner in a couple of weeks.

The missus said after the mouthful I gave them it's probably a good idea not to go back, we might find the brakes not working. They had the car for a day, didn't do what I'd booked it in for (they don't have a wheel balance machine..... so why let me book it in for a wheel balance?) and gave me a bill for "washing" the car. When questioned about the road grime on the side, apparently they washed the underside of the car.

The vehicle itself is not bad, I just can't take that level of stupid from the dealership any more.

What did you sell it for?

Less than it's probably worth but enough to pay it out and get into the Toyota.

We owned a Toyota Hilux previously and their service was always great. Toyota would call prior to a service being due to arrange it, the missus would try to call the Ford number and the dealer for days with no answer and have to go there to book it in.

It's got a busted air vent (little clip inside is broken) and it should be replaced under warranty. They keep telling us they need to order a new one which has been going on for 7 months and they still haven't ordered the part.

One of the bolts on the plastic bonnet protector came off and there were 3 of the Ford staff staring at it and couldn't figure out how to fix it (just went to Homepro and bought a new one). Same bonnet protector falls off when we went to Toyota to look at the Fortuner (they were inspecting it for a trade in value) and they whip out the tools and a few guys refit it and apologise for it falling off.

That's the big part for me, the level of after sales service hence the move back.

Don't own a ford....so don't know regarding replacement parts.(easy to find out though....go ask at the ford dealership)

Unless your getting a GREAT price (200,000 or less) why buy used when you can buy a new truck for between 400,000 to 500,000 baht

Thailand is great for making a truck (or car) look great after its been in an accident AND turning back the speedometer ...

If your bent on getting this truck....be VERY careful!

The Thai's will say that as they're brainwashed in to Toyota and Isuzu. Both pretty good, but I bought a used Ranger, great truck. Clocking a vehicle can be done anywhere. Just check all the books add up (service/warranty/any repairs etc) As for buying a new truck for 400k, I guess you could but if you're looking at an Everest, I'm guessing you're not looking for a baser than base type vehicle?

Really do'nt where theie getting these prices - this week my brother bought a New Mitsubishi with a Turbo diesel 4 door pick up for 700'000bt he traded in his 12 old Mitsubishi Stradis for 200,000bt in Lamphang lots around in Chiang Mai so do'nt envisage parts problem!!

• Like 2

Maybe not the place to ask this, but any recommendations for a new dual cab 4X4 auto "pick up"? I would prefer a custom tray back with drop down sides/back but not sure if I can buy the truck with a bare back chassis and have a reliable installation done. I will be living about 45 minutes from Udon Thani so would like to buy and have servicing done there. Any recommendations on make/model/dealers?

Not new, but seems like a great deal!

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/cto/4180772410.html

Thanks for the info - it looks good.

Don't own a ford....so don't know regarding replacement parts.(easy to find out though....go ask at the ford dealership)

Unless your getting a GREAT price (200,000 or less) why buy used when you can buy a new truck for between 400,000 to 500,000 baht

Thailand is great for making a truck (or car) look great after its been in an accident AND turning back the speedometer ...

A new truck for between 400,000 and 500,000 THB, don't think so, you're behind the times. Toyota Sure is the best place to buy for a used truck and you;ll get a warranty. Great motors, service agents everywhere with reasonble prices.

A new truck for between 400,000 and 500,000 THB, don't think so, you're behind the times. Toyota Sure is the best place to buy for a used truck and you;ll get a warranty. Great motors, service agents everywhere with reasonble prices.

I may be behind the times......but at least I'm not uninformed like you are!

I just bought a new truck 6 months ago...NO I didn't go for the base model....but I did see that the base (2 door manual transmission truck) went for 433,000 Baht

Here is Part of an ad by a dealership offering Tritons on the Internet

Description
New 2013 Mitsubishi Triton

Welcome visitor to Mitsubishi!

I am an authorized Mitsubishi dealer and sell all models of Mitsubishi Triton with many free accessories and great discount on selling price.

Model lineup:

Triton Single Cab starting at 433,000 THB

Edited by beachproperty

We're comparing base model single cab pickups to 7-seat SUV's?!?!? An eco hatchback would be a better comparison, but still a stupid one wink.png

To be quite frank....I wasn't comparing anything!...All I was saying that instead of buying a used vehicle....buy a new one. But if you read my later posts you might realize that I told OP that "his deal" on paper appeared quite good "for his intended purposes"....just to be careful...

I guess its a TV thing to "attack" with out being fully informed or if the post doesn't agree with Your thinking...

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

We're comparing base model single cab pickups to 7-seat SUV's?!?!? An eco hatchback would be a better comparison, but still a stupid one wink.png

To be quite frank....I wasn't comparing anything!...All I was saying that instead of buying a used vehicle....buy a new one. But if you read my later posts you might realize that I told OP that "his deal" on paper appeared quite good "for his intended purposes"....just to be careful...

I guess its a TV thing to "attack" with out being fully informed or if the post doesn't agree with Your thinking...

OP, get a mechanic to check it with a fine tooth comb and if all is well go for it. As for bp he does not know what an Everest is, hence is initial post in this thread.

You keep on suggesting the OP's buys apples instead of oranges. Someone had to call it. :P