Thaksin 'opposes House dissolution and Yingluck's resignation'

webfact

I am a bit confused. Admittedly I have only been following the situation in passing and I dont think i will get a decent answer here but will try anyway.

The amnesty bill lost and rightfully so. Why does this turn from a bill losing to an entire government being dissolved? I know that many people (especially here) dont like the current regime, but how does one bill going down mean that the whole government should resign their seats? I think this is part of the problem in Thailand, it leads to a lack of stability.

I dislike (understatement of the century) the Obama administration, if a bill Obama tried to push didnt get through (say immigration reform) we wouldnt throw out the whole government. I dont think they should throw out the government even if I do hate the commander and chief. The people should decide at the next scheduled election. Is this a British thing?

Before people start jumping on me for this comment, it is a serious question from a naive American on the parliamentary system.

The protests are still going on because there is still one bill in play.

The one that went double quick through the HoR, up to the Senate, and came back unchanged.

The people on the streets (most) do not trust PTP not to bring it out again in 180 days time.

Thanks, that helps explain the continued protest, still not sure of the whole get rid of the current government though. For the record, I am not a fan (believe me if you would like). It would be nice to see Thailand take steps towards civility.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Comment by foreigners should be taken on their own merits, not just dismissed out of hand.

Political education his country seems limited to "you have the right to shut the <deleted> up".

I've spoken to many Thais about politics to try understand their take on it.

Frankly many locals are unable to form an opinion that survives scrutiny or makes any sense.

Many see it all for what it really is, too.

Blind faith and obedience is what gets them into this mess.

They need to stop being so scared, stand up for themselves.

To be 'given' the chance at democracy the way they were, without bloodshed, is so lucky.

They really don't seem to put 1+1+1+1+1 together, as this cycle always repeats itself.

They don't change a thing, nobody is forced to account for their actions, and it repeats.

I am a bit confused. Admittedly I have only been following the situation in passing and I dont think i will get a decent answer here but will try anyway.

The amnesty bill lost and rightfully so. Why does this turn from a bill losing to an entire government being dissolved? I know that many people (especially here) dont like the current regime, but how does one bill going down mean that the whole government should resign their seats? I think this is part of the problem in Thailand, it leads to a lack of stability.

I dislike (understatement of the century) the Obama administration, if a bill Obama tried to push didnt get through (say immigration reform) we wouldnt throw out the whole government. I dont think they should throw out the government even if I do hate the commander and chief. The people should decide at the next scheduled election. Is this a British thing?

Before people start jumping on me for this comment, it is a serious question from a naive American on the parliamentary system.

The protests are still going on because there is still one bill in play.

The one that went double quick through the HoR, up to the Senate, and came back unchanged.

The people on the streets (most) do not trust PTP not to bring it out again in 180 days time.

Thanks, that helps explain the continued protest, still not sure of the whole get rid of the current government though. For the record, I am not a fan (believe me if you would like). It would be nice to see Thailand take steps towards civility.

Can't say for certain but I think a fairly large percentage of the people still protesting believe that if they bring the government down it stops that Bill dead in its tracks, which it wouldn't, it would possibly make the situation much worse.

The ones who are now just protesting the Amnesty Bill really should just go home, yellow and red alike, and keep a good close eye on a drawer being opened in six months time.

//edit/spelling

Edited by Thaddeus

Maybe it's time for mr. T to come back to Thailand and do the time for the crime, so he would gain some respect from his country-men.

Let him show what a man with cojones stands for !!!

wai.gif

For the benefit of those who might not be aware, there are several other cases which would then be able to proceed, hence the need for a general amnesty first, and his interest in pushing it through at whatever the cost to the country.

Or perhaps he really does enjoy mutton-grabs & investing in Africa ? whistling.gif

It's been so long I've forgotten the details of the other cases that are waiting for his return before they can proceed. There is the rubber sapling scam with his mate Newin, the 2 and 3 digit lottery scam, the soft loan of billions of govt baht to Burma to buy his Shin satellite products, the Krung Thai bank loans case, his role in the murder of Kornthep aka shipping moo that was about to give evidence against him for tax evasion? It's no wonder he is hellbent on amnesty to the detriment of the few of his followers that are languishing in jail.

A cynic might think that, once the Amnesty Bill has passed, all those cases would be found to be politically-motivated, and therefore wiped clean away ! wink.png

Surely not, the DSI and other Thai legal/police-authorities would never be so brazen, would they ? laugh.png

Maybe it's time for mr. T to come back to Thailand and do the time for the crime, so he would gain some respect from his country-men.

Let him show what a man with cojones stands for !!!

wai.gif

For the benefit of those who might not be aware, there are several other cases which would then be able to proceed, hence the need for a general amnesty first, and his interest in pushing it through at whatever the cost to the country.

Or perhaps he really does enjoy mutton-grabs & investing in Africa ? whistling.gif

It's been so long I've forgotten the details of the other cases that are waiting for his return before they can proceed. There is the rubber sapling scam with his mate Newin, the 2 and 3 digit lottery scam, the soft loan of billions of govt baht to Burma to buy his Shin satellite products, the Krung Thai bank loans case, his role in the murder of Kornthep aka shipping moo that was about to give evidence against him for tax evasion? It's no wonder he is hellbent on amnesty to the detriment of the few of his followers that are languishing in jail.

A cynic might think that, once the Amnesty Bill has passed, all those cases would be found to be politically-motivated, and therefore wiped clean away ! wink.png

Surely not, the DSI and other Thai legal/police-authorities would never be so brazen, would they ? laugh.png

Of course not in the Land of Shins, democracy and fairness are the pillars of The Caddy's ideology.

<snip> This does not effect us in any way. <snip>

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How does this not effect us in any way? It effects everybody living here, and even more so the ones working here in e.g. tourism.

Could there not be a case for a charge of treason against Thaksin who has as we all know worked continually against the best interests of Thailand and its peoples so as his interests and those of his family and their brown nosing acolytes are pushed to the forefront in the Thai political theatre?.

In my opinion the ice is getting very thin all round politically and if we are not careful there will be some rather unpleasant consequences before too long.

A military coup I doubt it, assorted political interest groups clashing with each other? Indeed that is a possibility that could lead to massive civil unrest here in Thailand all because of one creature and his malevolent quest for revenge and power at any price.

The bell has rung now and we are going into the end game, somehow i have a feeling that the Thaksin camp are not going to fight fair (why spoil past records) but the Thaksin group is heading for a massive defeat in what could be a bloody battle in more ways that one.

Desperate ends lead to desperate means and we have witnessed the steady escalation of pressure ( starting in 2010) to achieve those ends from Thaksin, his family and their brown nosing acolytes for some time now.

Indeed we are living in interesting times.

Wow! Why so much passion and hatred for what's going on in Thai politics. We are foreigners in this country and we choose to be here. If you don't like it there are plenty of taxis to the airport and many flights departing. This does not effect us in any way. Foreigners should stay out of Thai politics period! It is none of our business, I am only concerned with the safety of me and my friends who live here. Keeping up to date on the latest news is something I am happy I can do through this web site as long as it is accurate. Thanks Thai Visa!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Would you refuse to intervene in a rape because you are not a policeman?

Many of us have families and businesses, and pay taxes, here, and it very much concerns us and our families futures. We are not free to leave on whim even though we will never be citizens because of xenophobic laws. But we can express our views and share out knowledge both here and with Thai friends and family in a hope of improvement.

There are elements of truth in both of these quotes. Firstly though I'm disturbed that people do not see the big picture here that a party is trying to overthrow the ruling party. Thailand needs to learn to let the ruling party who is voted in runs it term. That is why you have democratic elections where the people get to chose by a vote. Don't like them then vote them out next opportunity. Opposition parties here don't want to be the ruling party because they think they are better, they just want to discredit those in power so they get their chance to cheat and abuse the system as much as the people in power before them. While there are a few educated foreigners with jobs and business that political stance and issues affect I think there is a bigger majority of people posting here that will not be affected and really have no idea what they are talking about. It would be good to read educated posts rather than just bashing.

Why the hell did Yingluck sacrifice her freedom and chose to become Thaksins puppet PM? And why is it the government's main effort to bring him back?

What about using their position as ruling party to make Thailand better? I can't believe people let this farce go on. Thaksin: one &lt;deleted&gt; to rule them all.

Karma exists, the pigeons are coming home to roost, it looks like this man,s days of massive influence may be drawing to a close. Did you ever take a good look at his eyes ? Says it all, but he still has billions and still therefore has the ability to cause more political disturbance. If the redshirts had any sense at all they would distance themselves from this false saviour and progress in a sane and sensible direction.

Karma exists, the pigeons are coming home to roost, it looks like this man,s days of massive influence may be drawing to a close. Did you ever take a good look at his eyes ? Says it all, but he still has billions and still therefore has the ability to cause more political disturbance. If the redshirts had any sense at all they would distance themselves from this false saviour and progress in a sane and sensible direction.

Did you ever take a good look at his eyes?

post-9891-0-30213100-1384274903_thumb.jp

He certainly doesn't have Bette Davis Eyes.

• Like 1

The title of this thread is like "Scientists Prove Water is Wet."

Nobody can compromise here. No one can share power. They set the mobs on each other like a trivial game of checkers, and do not care for the outcome...uh-oh...oh, crap.

Sounds like American and British foreign policy.

WE taught them these nasty tricks. And we criticize them for making the same mistakes...

I laughed so hard that I cried about it. I cried so hard that I laughed about it.

Best, we are taking sides...we are buying what they are selling, just like we did in our home countries.

Edited by FangFerang

So the felon still pulls the strings of this battered and bruised party?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Ruling politicians presented a number of possible solutions to Thaksin, including House dissolution and the PM's resignation, but the ex-leader disagreed with those proposals, according to the source."

Sounds to me he still pulls the strings from Dubai, and this confirm it.

Why would ruling politicians involve a fugitive criminal in government matters anyway?

Probably mr. T pays they'r sallary, luxury cars, 30 mill. bath houses and superyachts whistling.gif

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.geyes.jpg

His eyes remind me of Yoda in Star Wars

YOda_900.jpg

• Like 2

Nobody can compromise here. No one can share power. They set the mobs on each other like a trivial game of checkers, and do not care for the outcome...uh-oh...oh, crap.

WE taught them these nasty tricks. And we criticize them for making the same mistakes...

I laughed so hard that I cried about it. I cried so hard that I laughed about it.

Best, we are taking sides...we are buying what they are selling, just like we did in our home countries.

The only good thing is that nobody has died.

Meanwhile in the Philipines a real tragedy has occurred and it wasn't manufactured.

Hypothetically speaking of course, but what if Yingluck did dissolve parliament, and thus end this governments term. There would then be a general election.

If,(and I know many here fervently hope that this would not be the case), but if, as is likely, Pheu Thai won the election, and formed a new government with Yingluck restored to her position, would the protest leaders, Suthep, Sondhi, Chamlong et al, along with the Democrats, accept that result?

Hypothetically speaking of course, but what if Yingluck did dissolve parliament, and thus end this governments term. There would then be a general election.

If,(and I know many here fervently hope that this would not be the case), but if, as is likely, Pheu Thai won the election, and formed a new government with Yingluck restored to her position, would the protest leaders, Suthep, Sondhi, Chamlong et al, along with the Democrats, accept that result?

As there is no historical precedent of them not accepting election results, one would have to assume yes. OTOH, if PTP were to break election law by vote-buying, bribery or whatever cunning scheme comes to their mind (by historical precedent quite likely) and be disbanded, causing MPs to decide to form a government with another party, would PTP's supporters accept that?

More telling, would Thaksin fade away gracefully or try to foment another insurrection against a legitimate government?

Well that's all well and interesting but what do Dennis Kozlowski, Bernie Madoff and other billionaire criminals that have nothing to do with Thai politics make of the situation?

Bernie probably is thinking right now, Hey i should have loaded all my stuff up and flown out ahead of my verdict. But wow what a dummy. This Thai guy could just run off and live the good life but he keeps pushing the going back thing. Only thing going back does is get him a cell like mine. Run fella run. All us convicted guys in jail right now are pulling for you.

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.geyes.jpg

His eyes remind me of Yoda in Star Wars

YOda_900.jpg

Except Yoda's Eyes show wisdom.

• Like 1

The only good thing is that nobody has died.

Meanwhile in the Philipines a real tragedy has occurred and it wasn't manufactured.

Agreed.

And, totally off topic, who is in there from the get go with relief on an industrial scale???

The Americans of course, as usual, yes, the much maligned Yanks. Aircraft carrier, helicopters, boots on the ground etc etc.

I am sure Thailand is already loading the thousands of tons of rice that will be needed to help those poor folks in the Leyte area get by during this time.

And that's from a Canuck.

• Like 1

Irrelevant and yet, completely unsurprising. If Thailand continues to let this man have a voice the country's a joke - and that includes anyone reporting this stuff too!!

And commenting on it!

Don't be harsh on yourself fella; jokers are funny and you most certainly are not! You are, however, very predictable! ;-)

Just a couple or words; vote buying.

Given what's happened in the last couple of weeks and given what's recently been revealed about the enormous magnitude of the rice scam losses, the negative effects of the pay rise, etc etc., and the way they have upset many of the reds, the splinters in the red groups, etc., would they be game enough to try the same level of vote buying? My guess is yes. they would go for it and ignore the criticism.

Ultimately would they get away with it? Open question.

why do you guys hate thaksin?

I've said this before, hate is too strong a word,

I dislike having a cold, I would intensely dislike having a ruptured appendix, I would hate having cancer or peritonitis.

The man you name is for me at the grumbling appendix stage, if he backs off now, that is where he will stay..... he has already proved himself to be a cancer for most of Thai society, but treatable, however, one more step and the only solution will be invasive surgery.

Edited by Thaddeus