Electricity Cost Bangkok

monty1412

A few years ago my mth/b rocketed from around 1,200THB to 2,500THB (77sqm 1-bed). Outraged by this, I caused quite a storm with the leccie office. They twice 'investigated' the situation (I wasn't content with the 'alleged' first visit) and determined there was no mystery, I simply used more than double my usual.

Oddly, the following month saw my bill back to around normal. It is odd, coz within the month in question, I and the gf were actually away for 8 days in that cycle; then, an unusual occurrence. Had i been duped by the gov company, had someone somehow tapped into my service for 8 days, who knows.

My bill then started steadily rising each month and now sits at 2-2,500THB pm. The solution I found was insisting the GF contributes to our living costs by paying the leccie bill (afterall, if she feels she's being stung, she'll do something about it). However, I do feel a bit sorry for her sometimes, as and when I buzz-off to UK for a few months, her bills are around 300THB pm...

This ain't called 'Tryland' for nothing!

The water in our place is 400 Baht a month per person. They 'very generously' agreed that my 6 year old didn't have to pay, but that's still 800 Baht. - the leccy bill for our 3 bedroom house in Chiang Mai was 1,500 and the water under 100 Baht - and that included my father in law over watering (IMO) the garden. My estimate is that the landlady is getting about 1,500 Baht a month in profit from our 2 utility bills. Which makes the rent 10,500 Baht. The place is fairly central, near a market, clean, secure and above all quiet. 10,500 Baht isnt bad I think. It still rankles though....

I pay 6 baht for electricity at a service apartment in Huai Kwang. I have mutliple computers, a LCD TV, PS3, Air Con which I use every night and a washing machine (use twice a week). My combined electricity/water bill has never been over 2,000 baht. Most months it is around 1400 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

KhunBenQ gave a very detailed account of the cost of electricity in TH (Thank You Sir!)

That's really all you need to know. If your landlord is charging slightly more, that's OK, if you're paying 7 Baht/KWh or more, you're being shafted.

The final bill is entirely up to you in the end.

Simple.

BTW, this 4.12 Baht KW/h is a steal by international standards....Too cheap IMHO.

• 4 months later...
The above refers to the original end user price of MEA/EGAT.

Some condo tenats are charged ridicolous fixed rates by their landlords.

Wouldn't that be apartment tenants? In my condo all bills are paid by me, only the rent goes to the landlady.

I just came to the Bangkok forum to post about my ever increasing monthly electricity charge and saw this post so decided to post here instead - maybe you could help?

My bill this month (for a 55sqm 1 bed condo) is 1,590.

Usually, it is about 1,280.

But this month, I have ONLY been having cold showers in the morning. So how is it that after doing that, my bill is the highest it's ever been?

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes people 'tap' your electric, so check that.